Playing Discworld

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adam

Playing Discworld

Post by Adam »

Following this mornings announcement I dug out my Discworld PC CDs and got ready to enjoy the game on the lastest daily build.

However, after following the instructions here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Discworld as to what files I needed to copy from the cd, and put them in a folder, I try to add the game and just keep getting the message: "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory"

What am I doing wrong?
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

The first thing I'd suggest is to check the title of ScummVM when you run it to see what version it is - it needs to be a 0.14.0svn build with a recent compile date. If you're still, for example, using the official 0.13 build, then that doesn't include Discworld support - you'll need to download the daily build.
KuroShiro

Re: Playing Discworld

Post by KuroShiro »

Adam wrote:Following this mornings announcement I dug out my Discworld PC CDs and got ready to enjoy the game on the lastest daily build.

However, after following the instructions here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Datafiles#Discworld as to what files I needed to copy from the cd, and put them in a folder, I try to add the game and just keep getting the message: "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory"

What am I doing wrong?
Well, since it does seem like you are using the latest daily build (be sure you use the download at the bottom of the page, not the top), the only other possibilities are that you either missed one of the required files (check again) or that you have a version of the game that hasn't been added yet. Check the console window when you try to add the game and see if it displays hash information for the required files (a bunch of letters and numbers). If so, report the information on the bug tracker and your version will hopefully be added.
VictimOfScience

Post by VictimOfScience »

I had a couple of issues too, but that was because of two user errors on my part:

1. For Discworld 2, I literally copied EVERYTHING from the CDs into a folder for scummVM thinking if I have EVERYTHING then it can't go wrong. Well, it did. I then only included the files from the list (duh, I know) and lo and behold it worked.

2. I also did not have to add the .txt to the end of the text files that needed to be included. For whatever reason, Vista was displaying all file extensions except some obvious ones, like .txt and when I renamed the files with .txt scummVM gave me an error about not finding them. I then removed the .txt that I added and it worked fine. Silly Vista.

Now Discworld 1 and 2 are working beautifully and it is my happiest day of 2009 so far!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flo

Post by Flo »

VictimOfScience wrote:2. I also did not have to add the .txt to the end of the text files that needed to be included. For whatever reason, Vista was displaying all file extensions except some obvious ones, like .txt and when I renamed the files with .txt scummVM gave me an error about not finding them. I then removed the .txt that I added and it worked fine. Silly Vista.
That joke's on you, as the "hide extensions for known file types" option has been present (and enabled by default) since at least Windows XP.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

You can disable it in the file browser by going to Tools > Folder options > View.

With every new Windows release I pray MS sees the light and removes that feature altogether. Ir does nothing but confuse people.
VictimOfScience

Post by VictimOfScience »

Flo wrote:That joke's on you, as the "hide extensions for known file types" option has been present (and enabled by default) since at least Windows XP.
Thanks, Genius. So how do you explain the fact that all other file types have their extension displayed and only the text files do not? Keep in mind that I have not manually changed any of Vista's settings. So yeah, it would have thrown you for a loop too.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

VictimOfScience wrote:
Flo wrote:That joke's on you, as the "hide extensions for known file types" option has been present (and enabled by default) since at least Windows XP.
Thanks, Genius. So how do you explain the fact that all other file types have their extension displayed and only the text files do not? Keep in mind that I have not manually changed any of Vista's settings. So yeah, it would have thrown you for a loop too.
Because they are unknown file types. The "hide extensions for known file types" option doesn't deal with those.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Relax, breathe and forget it. I have seen Computer Science bachelor students confused by this. Simply because they thought it was some complex mistake they made and didn't check the lame and obvious.