The End of the Beginning - Release Testing

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Espiox

Post by Espiox »

Wow, first Google takes the beta tag off Gmail, and now ScummVM is gearing up for v1.0? What a crazy week.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Graxer wrote:I've just sucessfully completed "Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds", English, Windows version without any problems whatsoever.
Is the "Windows version" bit about the Windows version of the game or about the Windows version of ScummVM?

We need to know the game target platform and your running platform.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

LordHoto wrote:
Graxer wrote:I've just sucessfully completed "Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds", English, Windows version without any problems whatsoever.
Is the "Windows version" bit about the Windows version of the game or about the Windows version of ScummVM?

We need to know the game target platform and your running platform.
I was running both "Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds" and "Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo" on the windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377 (Using Windows XP SP3). The games themselves were also the windows versions.
Last edited by Graxer on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Graxer wrote:I was running both "Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds" and "Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo" on the windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377. The games themselves were also the windows versions.
Ok thanks, what Windows do you use btw. (XP, Vista, XP x64, Vista x64, etc.)?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

LordHoto wrote:
Graxer wrote:I was running both "Freddi Fish 1: The Case of the Missing Kelp Seeds" and "Putt-Putt Saves the Zoo" on the windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377. The games themselves were also the windows versions.
Ok thanks, what Windows do you use btw. (XP, Vista, XP x64, Vista x64, etc.)?
I used Windows XP with Service Pack 3.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

Why isn't Spy Fox 3 in the list for testing? I played it to the end with an earlier SVN, and with only 2 little graphic bugs, but i think it should be considered compatible.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I have now sucessfully completed "Putt-Putt Enters the Race" on the Windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377. (Using Windows XP SP3) The game was the English (US), Windows version.

The one glitch I did come across is that if you play the pinball mini-game the ball always gets stuck no matter what you do. This is not game-breaking as it is just an optional mini-game. Also despite the glitch, you can still stop playing pinball while the ball is stuck and carry on with the game as normal.
Last edited by Graxer on Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mataku wrote:Why isn't Spy Fox 3 in the list for testing? I played it to the end with an earlier SVN, and with only 2 little graphic bugs, but i think it should be considered compatible.
Apparently, it's one of the games that uses 16-bit colour, which explains some (most?) of the graphics bugs. ScummVM only supports 8-bit graphics, and while that should change in the not so distant future, it's probably the reason the game isn't considered supported yet.

(I haven't played through the game myself yet, so I don't know how bad the graphics bugs are. A few during the intro are pretty noticeable, but most aren't.)
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
Mataku wrote:Why isn't Spy Fox 3 in the list for testing? I played it to the end with an earlier SVN, and with only 2 little graphic bugs, but i think it should be considered compatible.
Apparently, it's one of the games that uses 16-bit colour, which explains some (most?) of the graphics bugs. ScummVM only supports 8-bit graphics, and while that should change in the not so distant future, it's probably the reason the game isn't considered supported yet.

(I haven't played through the game myself yet, so I don't know how bad the graphics bugs are. A few during the intro are pretty noticeable, but most aren't.)
REALLY? to be quite honest, the game looks perfectly fine to me. I mean, it looks great, not something that has any downgraded or dithered graphics or something. The graphic bugs I referred to are location based only. There is one when you use the pearl detector, there's some overlay issue, and another one is when you're in a dark place and use some gadget to light it up, the room remains dark, but it's fixed if you leave the room and come back. That's all.

Also i've read in the compatibility chart that you have to guess the color of the fingernails, which is not true at all. I think someone fixed the issues with the game, and just forgot to mention it :D
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

For the most part, the intro bugs aren't very noticeable. I think Spyfox's clothes change colour slightly a few times between scenes, and the rabbits's clothes change colour in mid-scene. The first really noticeable one is the homage to 2001, where a banana morphs into the gigantic spray can.

The screenshots are a bit too large for my taste to put here as inline images, so here are some links instead:

First image, SVN trunk
Second image, SVN trunk
First image, gsoc2009-16bit branch
Second image, gsoc2009-16bit branch

But, as I said, I've never played through the game, so I don't know how good/bad it looks after that.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I have now sucessfully completed "Freddi Fish and Luther's Maze Madness" on the Windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377. (Using Windows XP SP3) The game was the English (US), Windows version.

The one glitch I did come across is that whenever you press a button on the keyboard the game acts as if you are holding it down until you press another key. (For instance, if you shoot a bubble you keep on shooting bubbles until you press a button to turn the corner. (or any button on the keyboard, whether it is used in the game or not)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Graxer wrote:I have now sucessfully completed "Putt-Putt Enters the Race" on the Windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377. (Using Windows XP SP3) The game was the English (US), Windows version.

The one glitch I did come across is that if you play the pinball mini-game the ball always gets stuck no matter what you do.
This has been fixed just today, so, please, try tomorrow's build (r42382 or later).

Eugene
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Graxer wrote:I have now sucessfully completed "Freddi Fish and Luther's Maze Madness" on the Windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377. (Using Windows XP SP3) The game was the English (US), Windows version.

The one glitch I did come across is that whenever you press a button on the keyboard the game acts as if you are holding it down until you press another key. (For instance, if you shoot a bubble you keep on shooting bubbles until you press a button to turn the corner. (or any button on the keyboard, whether it is used in the game or not)
Could you, please, submit a bugreport for this?

Eugene
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

sev wrote:
Graxer wrote:I have now sucessfully completed "Putt-Putt Enters the Race" on the Windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42377. (Using Windows XP SP3) The game was the English (US), Windows version.

The one glitch I did come across is that if you play the pinball mini-game the ball always gets stuck no matter what you do.
This has been fixed just today, so, please, try tomorrow's build (r42382 or later).

Eugene
I just tested it with r42406, and as you said it has now been fixed.

I have also now reported the error in Maze Madness.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I have now sucessfully completed "Freddi Fish 3: The Case of the Stolen Conch Shell" on the Windows version of ScummVM 1.0.0svn42406. (Using Windows XP SP3) The game was the English, Windows version. I didn't encounter any problems during my play through.