General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.
Moderator: ScummVM Team
- ScummVM Lead
- Posts: 2097
- Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Cirion81 wrote:More suprisingly some people out there seem to have nothing else to do than downloading stuff over and over again.
I suspect that those aren't real people, but some kind of stupidly written e-mail harvesting bots. It happens. The link has been removed.
- Posts: 20
- Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:19 pm
- Location: Ireland
Are you sure those two people were not actually proxy servers used by many users?
- Posts: 36
- Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:02 pm
- Location: Germany
I pondered that too, but for that the following must have taken place:
1. more than 300 people using this proxy suddenly wanted to have the BASS CD version, all of them within 24 hours on each sunday since I set up the mirror. Maybe all this happened on a LAN party ....
2. isn't a proxy supposed to cache user requests? AFAIK it is, so it must just have dumped the file from it's cache when the next request came.
Also I would assume that the proxy should have a more or less fixed IP address. Both IP addresses where unused when I checked few days later.
No, from a proxy I would expect a different load distribution than the following (excerpt from my logfiles from the days I mirrored the file). The first number is traffic in KB, the latter one the percentage of the overall traffic up today.
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:57 pm
Hmm.: I was averaging 0.3kb/s on the daily win32 snapshot when downloading through firefox - I pasted the link into my download manager and it flew at full speed...Until 81%, it's now going at about 0.01kb/s
- Posts: 162
- Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:09 pm
- Location: Karlsruhe, Germany
clem wrote:for example there's no download site linked from scummvm for either the German disk or talkie version of FOTAQ - even though that is confirmed to be legal freeware;
As I mentioned it here
earlier, there is a download link for [at least] the German CD version of FOTAQ: http://www.muhserver.de/index.php?aktVerz=12
. I wondered why you hadn't linked to this site. Well, for the German Disk version, I suggest someone compromises this version and could post it then on such a site as above.
And about the daily snapshots: Just get a free download accelaretor from the web and you can download the snapshots without any problems.