Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Morden

Post by Morden »

I'm not sure why people even bother discussing this, since it is clearly not an issue. It's a fact that anything you don't own isn't yours to use or give away.

- > Abandonware is illegal.
- > Owning a game on multiple platforms, but having bought just one version is illegal.
- > Owning a game in multiple language or region editions, but having bought just one version is illegal.
- > Distributing software without official authorization is illegal.
- > Downloading pirated games is illegal.

And that's pretty much all there is to it. Just because someone labels some titles abandonware doesn't mean they're free, and they're not.

People sometimes get this wrong and I've seen this countless times. They think owning Ms Pac Man for GB Mono gives them right to emulate the arcade board via an emulator on their PSP, which brakes more laws than I could ever bother to count.

"I remember my brother buying this game back in '92" doesn't make it legal to download anything. Even if you actually own a game, you can't download it in a cracked version, especially not from torrent sites, since then you not only download, but also share.

This is simple, but people choose to ignore the facts, because it's simpler to actually believe that some stuff is free and besides, who would ever mind a person downloading some old game, right?

Not too long ago you could see Goblins on [I'm guessing] every single abandonware site and now? It's been officially re-released as a part of Gobliiins 4. Not so abandonware anymore, is it? And to think nobody touched it since '93. Just because the title doesn't get a new release every three years like Super Mario Brothers does, doesn't mean it's free.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Thanks for the nice summary, Morden.

I am locking this thread now, as this is a good closing point for it. People, if you "believe" differently regarding copyright, piracy, abandonware, etc., you are free to do that *elsewhere*. But we will not allow people to put the ScummVM team and project into legal danger just because they believe that if you repeat an opinion often enough, it can change the law (be it those of physics or those in court).

End of thread.