Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

chrisis

Post by chrisis »

as much as I figured out, the same is for FOA: it misses the atlantis.000 file, as I said before. (and the original atlantis.exe dos is actually in the steam download! it just can't find that damn file). Probably that file is integrated into the steam/windows executable? Anyways, on my german floppy version, that file is only 12 kb, so I wonder, what that file actually does. Could anyone with more knowledge of Scumm (one of the developers?) tell, what that file actually is for after all?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

the lfl.000 file was integrated into the steam exe file in the release of last crusade, according to bgbenyboy over at mixnmojo. so presumable that is the case for all the games.

sucks for scummvm:(
Flo

Post by Flo »

If it's integrated into the exe it might still be possible to extract it. But it never ceases to amaze me how companies are willing to go out of their way to screw the people who do buy their products.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I don't know if you can legally revers engineer and extract that file around these parts. but then again, I'm no lawyer.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

ok, it should be fairly trivial to write an extractor for the files that are missing! moderatorial
Last edited by chrisis on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hurda

Post by Hurda »

chrisis wrote:ok, it should be fairly trivial to write an extractor for the files that are missing!
Just logged back on to post that idea too, but you were faster. :lol:
Yes, for a knowledgable coder, such an extractor shouldn't be too difficult to write, and it (IANAL) probably doesn't break any laws, since it's just copying data out of a file into a new one without breaking any encryption or so.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

In other words, it would be very simple to add these versions to ScumVM? The program should be able to use the .exe instead of the 000 if it just knew at what offset the data is placed?
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Charlii wrote:In other words, it would be very simple to add these versions to ScumVM? The program should be able to use the .exe instead of the 000 if it just knew at what offset the data is placed?
probably, I guess
Flo

Post by Flo »

Hurda wrote:it (IANAL) probably doesn't break any laws, since it's just copying data out of a file into a new one without breaking any encryption or so.
It depends on how you look at it. You could say that the data is extracted in order to bypass the copy protection (Steam) of the game.

You could also say that it's reverse engineering for the purpose of interoperability, which is legal in some countries.

As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty low to specifically remove those tiny data files from the distribution.
Hurda

Post by Hurda »

Charlii wrote:In other words, it would be very simple to add these versions to ScumVM? The program should be able to use the .exe instead of the 000 if it just knew at what offset the data is placed?
LA would just need to issue an "update" with the "file" at a different offset to break compatibility with SCUMMVM.
And I doubt that mere copying of a stream of data qualifies as "reverse engineering". But that's for others with more legal knowledge to decide.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

moderatorial: Guys, please, stop discussing how to avoid Steam protection on the games from now. You are putting quite danger on the project by hacking that.

chrisis, sorry, but I had to edit out some information from your post.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Hurda wrote:[d of quote="Charlii"]
LA would just need to issue an "update" with the "file" at a different offset to break compatibility with SCUMMVM.
And I doubt that mere copying of a stream of data qualifies as "reverse engineering". But that's for others with more legal knowledge to decide.
I doubt they would do that. They didn't really hide the file very good from the beginning :)
Also, although I'm not a lawyer, I doubt it is illegal to basically use the contents of a file you legally got and to do with it for personal usage whatever you want. It would of course be different, if you began to share that file you created that way...
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

sev wrote:moderatorial: Guys, please, stop discussing how to avoid Steam protection on the games from now. You are putting quite danger on the project by hacking that.

OK, sorry. Didn't think it could be illegal. Won't write about that again...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

As long as they don't encrypt the .exe, one could easily make the games compatible with ScummVM.

And at least under German law, I am pretty sure that this does not count under reverse engineering. Esp. since they did not apply any encryption.

To make this clear: There is no copy protection, at most a tiny change of data formats. Hence, there is no copy protection to bypass. If there was, of course we'd respect it, as we do and did in other cases.
Last edited by fingolfin on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

sev wrote:moderatorial: Guys, please, stop discussing how to avoid Steam protection on the games from now. You are putting quite danger on the project by hacking that.

I was only interested in the possibilities of buying some games properly and then playing them on my own computer, but if it's all the same to Lucasarts I'll just go on using the versions I have...