Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

marzipan wrote:Unless DRM was what dragged LucasArts the other way of course.
yeah, to be fair, re-releasing your old software is no fun unless you deliberately inconvenience your honest customers in the process.

:roll:
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

I thought the CD version of Loom wasn't an official Lucasarts product.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Jorpho wrote:I thought the CD version of Loom wasn't an official Lucasarts product.
Of course it was. O_o
Psygnosis

Re: Lucasarts adventures on Steam!

Post by Psygnosis »

chrisis wrote:What I'm more worried about is, if only the executable is encrypted or the data files are too by steam... Because if it's the plain data files, it will be easy to play the games with ScummVM. But if the files are encrypted (remember: Steam is a DRM system too), then it will probably be hard to use those with ScummVM
Steam isn't like gametap. Usually it's just the exe thats protected. With Doom on steam you can take the wad files and do whatever the heck you want with them.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Well, the great news announced turned out to be a lot of steam.

Most of us own these games already, and as i see, there is no improvement except that you don't own a boxed disc but just data on your computer you cannot eben burn for storage purposes that have to be revalidated all the time. The question is: who needs it? My guess is that LEC doesn't want to get back to adventures but rather test how an online distribution works out. Plans for the future are that this will be the only way to obtain one of the games. It is cheaper for you save material and it has better copy protection for it has to be revalidated all the time.
Hurda

Post by Hurda »

From LA's twitter-page:
"The classic adventure games don't use SCUMMVM or DosBox, instead they all have self-running executables for Windows."

Bummer. :(
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

Bummer?

Doesn't this mean that they actually cares somewhat about these games and how they are presented to the buyers? Isn't that a good, that they are working on and improving the SCUMM engine for possible future use?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

That Indy3 sounds interesting. And I may just buy Loom again to get that pdf manual :P
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'd buy them all again if I had a credit card (stupid Steam doesn't accept PayPal!) because i want to support adventures as much as possible to see more adventure rereleases, special editions, or even new games.

A friend of mine saw on the newly created LECSteam twitter (created as a result of the new releases) that MI2 is getting the special edition treatment and is slated for an August 25th release. But it was removed! Premature news release? They probably want to see how the Steam releases and SMI:SE do before they decide anything. All the more reason to buy them again.
mglz

Post by mglz »

MusicallyInspired wrote:A friend of mine saw on the newly created LECSteam twitter (created as a result of the new releases) that MI2 is getting the special edition treatment and is slated for an August 25th release. But it was removed!
Whoah now, that would be some exciting news! How trustworthy is this friend of yours? Did anyone else see that?
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

clone2727 wrote:
Jorpho wrote:I thought the CD version of Loom wasn't an official Lucasarts product.
Of course it was. O_o
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0273744/trivia:
owever, the rights to this version existed with Mindscape, not Lucas (supposedly, LucasArts did not have the means to produce a CD-ROM title at the time), and were lost permanently when Mindscape went bankrupt. While Loom as been reissued since, it is always as the original floppy version.
MusicallyInspired wrote:I'd buy them all again if I had a credit card (stupid Steam doesn't accept PayPal!)
Sure it does. I buy all my stuff off Steam via Paypal.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Where??? All I've seen are places to input credit card numbers and no PayPal logo anywhere...

EDIT: Looks like it is there now! It definitely was not there the last time I tried (but that was quite a while ago now). Great news!!
mglz wrote:Whoah now, that would be some exciting news! How trustworthy is this friend of yours? Did anyone else see that?
He's as excited about adventures as I am. I have no reason to doubt him. I am wondering if the LECSteam Twitter isn't official and it's just a hoax....but then why did it give a date and why was it removed? I guess we'll find out sooner or later.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Jorpho wrote:
clone2727 wrote:
Of course it was. O_o
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0273744/trivia:
owever, the rights to this version existed with Mindscape, not Lucas (supposedly, LucasArts did not have the means to produce a CD-ROM title at the time), and were lost permanently when Mindscape went bankrupt. While Loom as been reissued since, it is always as the original floppy version.
Mindscape developed it, but LucasArts still owns the rights to Loom and they had the LucasArts name on the product. So, of course it's official.
Espiox

Post by Espiox »

MusicallyInspired wrote:A friend of mine saw on the newly created LECSteam twitter (created as a result of the new releases) that MI2 is getting the special edition treatment and is slated for an August 25th release. But it was removed!
http://twitter.com/lecsteam You mean this account? I very much doubt this is real, personally. Especially since the main LucasArts twitter (http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames) has all the details for the Steam releases.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

So we get MI5, MI1 Redone and now this....
It seems now that the Starwars craze has died down a bit, Lucasarts decided to gear up their other franchises again.

I hope they find time to polish up Grimm and MI4 too.
Great games but the finishing touch (controlls and rendering) is terrible.

This reprieve is op temporary nature though. I distinctly remember Lucas stating in an interview somewhere that is definitely going to make another 3 Starwars movies but he needs a break before he does so.