Monkey Island SE with SCUMMVM???

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

bobdevis wrote:Can you still trap yourself by throwing all your money in the grog machine?
Nope, I've tried it, and Guybrush just says "I'm not falling for that twice."
j

Post by j »

I just wrote a small and stupid ("proof of concept") dumper for the Monkey1.pak file.

The images are mainly stored as DirectX Textures, but miss a container so they can be read by the usual tools.
I added a small method to wrap them in a "dds" container so the DirectX Texture Tool (and other dds-Tools) can read them.

Source:
http://slexy.org/view/s21wNL2X3x

Sample image (copyright LucasArts):
http://i36.tinypic.com/b8wby9.jpg

There are several binary encoded xml files that are apparently used to describe scenes. I've not yet looked into them.

Let's hope ScummVM will be able to run MISE on all it's platforms in the near future! :-)
saulob

Post by saulob »

I like this 'speech.info' and 'uiText.info' files.

All the txt file, I just need to know how to edit it :)

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
ronzbig1

Post by ronzbig1 »

I've got the same problem. When I edit "speech.info", and replace some text, it doesn't change in game. Also, the dubbing doesn't work, after saving changed file. We have already translated TSoMI CD version into Polish, and we would like to make another version for remake. I'd be grateful for any tips how to edit these files :)
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

ConstantineXVI wrote:I've got the PC version. For starters, here's the file listing:

Attempting to open any of the files with 7-zip fails. If anyone has any debug tools or such they'd like me to run on it, I'd be happy to.
Is it somehow possible to open and extract the Music files? I tried the XWB Extractor but the programm always crashes when I load a file.
Aractus

Post by Aractus »

fingolfin wrote:Well, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility for MISE support in a future ScummVM version (but right now we haven't seen the game and hence don't know how much they changed in the engine to make it work). Same holds for the Steam games (for those there are no technical difficulties). But it won't be very soon.
Most emulators indiscriminately support games. ScummVM is a very highly developed, and refined program that emulates the SCUMM interpreter program in most cases at least as good as if not better than the original launcher file - in addition to supporting playback of the game on a multitude of different systems.

Buying the STEAM versions (as opposed to the second hand versions floating around) directly supports LucasArts and further game development, and not supporting those versions is like saying "if you want SCUMMVM support then buy the original version instead". That's not usually the role of the emulator - their role is (typically) to enable a program or game to run on a system it was not originally designed for; although that function itself is not its only useful feature.

For instance I just completed playing CMI ... which I installed using my original CDs to what I call a "full HDD installation". I could run the game using its original file perfectly, without the CDs; however I used SCUMMVM instead (for the first time for CMI). Reason being this: I'm using a 1680x1050 LCD monitor and I don't want to have to stretch the graphics beyond a 2x scale (so I set the mode to 2x in scummvm and configure the display to "not stretch full screen"... you beauty!)

I would be very excited to see support for the game in ScummVM; and I know (being a genuine legal customer) that I would certainly play the game using it.
Morden

Post by Morden »

Aractus wrote:Buying the STEAM versions (as opposed to the second hand versions floating around) directly supports LucasArts and further game development, and not supporting those versions is like saying "if you want SCUMMVM support then buy the original version instead".
That's actually a valid point and I only wish LucasArts would see it this way. I'd be more than happy to invest my money into, let's say, Monkey Island: SE if I knew I could play it without Steam and on platforms other than Windows. Same goes to classics released on Steam, even though I own them already.
Flo

Post by Flo »

Morden wrote:That's actually a valid point and I only wish LucasArts would see it this way. I'd be more than happy to invest my money into, let's say, Monkey Island: SE if I knew I could play it without Steam and on platforms other than Windows. Same goes to classics released on Steam, even though I own them already.
Technically you can already play MI:SE without Steam. There's a version available on Direct2Drive as well ;)

That said, while I also believe that supporting the developers is preferrable to buying second hand copies, there's also the issue that ScummVM support of those new releases would also theoretically allow for those versions to be copied freely.
Arkenholt

Not working

Post by Arkenholt »

I'd love to see support of special edition in SCUMMVM, then I might actually be able to play it on my PC.... I'm one of those ever so lucky ones who has a processor that doesn't support SSE2, so the game just crashes before loading. Am one unhappy man... £6.99 for nothing! "Help me scummvm you're my only hope!"
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Flo wrote:Technically you can already play MI:SE without Steam. There's a version available on Direct2Drive as well ;)
Direct2Drive wrote:This product is only available for purchase in the United States and Canada.
ronzbig1

Post by ronzbig1 »

saulob wrote:I like this 'speech.info' and 'uiText.info' files.

All the txt file, I just need to know how to edit it :)

Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
Maybe it's not the same thing as you mentioned, but it'll work although...

Download game unpacker (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.p ... 164&page=2), then open it in folder with file "Monkey1.pak". After unpacking, you'll see folder called "classic", in which are two files from original game - "monkey1.000" & "monkey1.001". If you change text in them (by "scummtr"), it will be also changed in game.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

ronzbig1 wrote:...in which are two files from original game - "monkey1.000" & "monkey1.001". If you change text in them (by "scummtr"), it will be also changed in game.
Indeed this works, but as a side-effect it breaks the speech.
It appears that someone who wants to alter (translate) the text, should also rearrange the voice-over synchronization somehow.
Aractus

Post by Aractus »

Flo wrote:Technically you can already play MI:SE without Steam. There's a version available on Direct2Drive as well ;)
It's a bit late for that, I've already bought the game.
That said, while I also believe that supporting the developers is preferrable to buying second hand copies, there's also the issue that ScummVM support of those new releases would also theoretically allow for those versions to be copied freely.
My initial impression is that the interface could be significantly improved. ESC is supposed to SKIP in MI1/2, yet it instead does the function of F5 (/F1); and you can't skip dialogue at all in MI:SE. Which is downright annoying. ScummVM could easily rectify this problem.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Aractus wrote: and you can't skip dialogue at all in MI:SE. Which is downright annoying. ScummVM could easily rectify this problem.
Certain dialogues can be skipped with [backspace], but this does not seem to work always.
The other way, is to switch over to the classic version [F10] and then skip every line with the [.] key.