Monkey Island SE with SCUMMVM???

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Here in the UK games are usually up by 9.00am local time on Xbox Marketplace.
I can't find it and it's 9.40 am. I think I'll go back to bed.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

DelSol wrote:lets get back to the topic. is it possible to build in support for monkey island se in scummvm? that would be great. osx users really have a problem right now. neither the tales of monkey island nor monkey island se gets an osx port. so we have to rely on scummvm. at least for monkey island se. i dont expect tomi to run 3d graphics in scummvm. but could you atleast try to get support for monkey island se?
I guess not, since we will not even add support for the Steam versions, i.e. we don't want to step on Lucasarts' toes. Refer to sev's blog concerning Steam versions:
http://sev-notes.blogspot.com/2009/07/s ... ummvm.html
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, I wouldn't completely rule out the possibility for MISE support in a future ScummVM version (but right now we haven't seen the game and hence don't know how much they changed in the engine to make it work). Same holds for the Steam games (for those there are no technical difficulties). But it won't be very soon.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Well, Sev's blog entry suggests it isn't entirely unlikely that you are going to get some sort of nod from LucasArts, blessing support of the classic Steam stuff.

Let's hope they realize that there are no downsides for them and that it could only possibly _reduce_ the piracy of the old games.
Flo

Post by Flo »

bobdevis wrote:Let's hope they realize that there are no downsides for them and that it could only possibly _reduce_ the piracy of the old games.
Unfortunately, that's not how developers and publishers think, or they would have realized a long time ago that the only people who are inconvenienced by DRM and copy protection are the paying customers.
ConstantineXVI

Post by ConstantineXVI »

I've got the PC version. For starters, here's the file listing:

Code: Select all

PS C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition> ls -recurse

Directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition

Mode                LastWriteTime     Length Name                                                                                
----                -------------     ------ ----                                                                                
d----         7/15/2009   3:05 PM            audio                                                                               
d----         7/15/2009   3:05 PM            directx                                                                             
d----         7/15/2009   3:04 PM            dotnet35                                                                            
d----         7/15/2009   3:01 PM            localization                                                                        
-a---         7/15/2009   3:02 PM        472 install.vdf                                                                         
-a---         7/15/2009   3:01 PM    1359872 MISE.exe                                                                            
-a---         7/15/2009   3:24 PM 1242812968 Monkey1.pak                                                                         

Directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\audio

-a---         7/15/2009   3:07 PM   38137856 Ambience.xwb                                                                        
-a---         7/15/2009   3:01 PM       3899 AmbienceCues.xsb                                                                    
-a---         7/15/2009   3:04 PM       2582 Monkey1Audio.xgs                                                                    
-a---         7/15/2009   3:03 PM       1791 MusicCuesNew.xsb                                                                    
-a---         7/15/2009   3:02 PM       1691 MusicCuesOriginal.xsb                                                               
-a---         7/15/2009   3:07 PM   22702080 MusicNew.xwb                                                                        
-a---         7/15/2009   3:09 PM  106979328 MusicOriginal.xwb                                                                   
-a---         7/15/2009   3:02 PM    1425408 RoomSFX.xwb                                                                         
-a---         7/15/2009   3:02 PM        308 RoomSFXCues.xsb                                                                     
-a---         7/15/2009   3:01 PM      13935 SFXCuesNew.xsb                                                                      
-a---         7/15/2009   3:04 PM       3661 SFXCuesOriginal.xsb                                                                 
-a---         7/15/2009   3:06 PM   22597632 SFXNew.xwb                                                                          
-a---         7/15/2009   3:05 PM    2465792 SFXOriginal.xwb                                                                     
-a---         7/15/2009   3:02 PM    6177856 speech.info                                                                         
-a---         7/15/2009   3:34 PM  838791168 Speech.xwb                                                                          
-a---         7/15/2009   3:02 PM     289474 SpeechCues.xsb                                                                      

Directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\directx
--truncated--

Directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\dotnet35
--truncated--                                                                    

Directory: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\the secret of monkey island special edition\localization

-a---         7/15/2009   3:01 PM     784896 uiText.info                                                                         
Attempting to open any of the files with 7-zip fails. If anyone has any debug tools or such they'd like me to run on it, I'd be happy to.
Flo

Post by Flo »

There are some XWB extractors meant for Xbox games. I'm not sure if the format they used here is the same, but considering the simultaneous release on Xbox Live, it wouldn't be surprising.
ConstantineXVI

Post by ConstantineXVI »

Yup, XWB Extractor does the trick. Popping open one of the smaller ones reveals a bunch of PCM and WMA files.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Unsurprisingly, the files have changed, as they did the game with .Net.
ConstantineXVI

Post by ConstantineXVI »

Maybe it's a new implementation of SCUMM on the CLR? I know LA has stated a few times on Twitter and Facebook that it's still SCUMM; that's the only reason I can think .net would be included

PS: Given the requirements (DX9, shader model 2.0); it's almost certainly a rewrite of SCUMM, as they'd be absolutely nuts to write DX9 support into 15 year old code
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

Any clue on how to open the .pak file? :)
Vegan

Post by Vegan »

I think this is the first piece of software I've ever had that needed .NET... Well, at least I haven't been keeping it updated for years for nothing.
Mingy Jongo

Post by Mingy Jongo »

One of the errors in the original CD version has been fixed. MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

The error was that the cereal in part 2 could be used in the fire under the pot after opening it to create a flaming mass, and prevent you from progressing further in the game (you need to use the cereal in the pot). This error was only in the CD version, and I have just tried to duplicate it in both graphics modes but was prevented. I hope this info is useful.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Can you still trap yourself by throwing all your money in the grog machine?
ovvldc

Post by ovvldc »

Just say no!

Best wishes,
Oscar