Monkey Island SE with SCUMMVM???

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

nice, where did these screens come from? :)
JohnnyWalker2001

Post by JohnnyWalker2001 »

I just created them using the concept art that's been made available. (Unfortunately there isn't much of it.)

There's big discussions about this sort of thing going on at www.mixnmojo.com forums.
JohnnyWalker2001

This one was easier :)

(Unfortunately it's also the last bit of concept artwork we have)
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

JohnnyWalker2001 wrote:I just created them using the concept art that's been made available.
Hey, I did it first ;)
JohnnyWalker2001

Ha! I had no idea you frequented these forums, LS. I wasn't sure it was worth explaining that someone else made the bottom icon images, etc.

Well, there you go, this fella created the new HD interface below and was actually the first one to mock one of these together (although I'd been trying to do it myself before, but I couldn't extract the large GB sprite using Serge's software -- didn't think to look for a sprite sheet!).
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Those screens look beautiful. That is exactly how the MI2 SE should look like (and the MI1 SE should have). Except for the icons, of course.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Heh, I played MI2 since it was released. But before seeing the concept art images in this thread, I never realised how cartoony the game really looks :oops:
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Freddo wrote:Heh, I played MI2 since it was released. But before seeing the concept art images in this thread, I never realised how cartoony the game really looks :oops:
Well, all the artwork was hand-drawn, what do you expect? But in comparison to MI3 and 4 the comic style is a realistic one, similar to ligne claire.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The artwork in mi1 is also hand drawn, but if you look at the closeups they are very much realistic:p
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Jonatan wrote:The artwork in mi1 is also hand drawn, but if you look at the closeups they are very much realistic:p
AFAIK the pictures of MI1 are drawn on the computer with no better resolution available. The pictures of MI2 are drawn on paper and scanned afterwards, so that a better resolution with the same artwork should be possible - if the original masters are still available.

How realistic the the drawing style of MI 1 and 2 is, you can see on the box covers.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

The MI1 screens (as well as earlier games like Loom, Indy3, etc) probably were sketched out on paper, but they weren't scanned in as hand-painted drawings. They were definitely computer-created. You can tell the style shift between MI1 and MI2. First the EGA screens were created and then they used Deluxe Paint to VGA-ify them. Same was done for Zak McKracken for the FM Towns version.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

MusicallyInspired wrote:First the EGA screens were created and then they used Deluxe Paint to VGA-ify them.
As a well known fact, they also used Deluxe Paint in the beginning, not only the VGA versions. You know the origin of Guybrush's name, don't you?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yeah, I knew they were created in Deluxe Paint initially as well I just didn't compose my sentence properly lol. I meant that they were both done in Deluxe Paint.
DelSol

Post by DelSol »

lets get back to the topic. is it possible to build in support for monkey island se in scummvm? that would be great. osx users really have a problem right now. neither the tales of monkey island nor monkey island se gets an osx port. so we have to rely on scummvm. at least for monkey island se. i dont expect tomi to run 3d graphics in scummvm. but could you atleast try to get support for monkey island se?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

DelSol wrote:is it possible to build in support for monkey island se in scummvm?
How should we know? The release date is supposedly today, so for all I know, none of the ScummVM developers have even seen it yet.