Leisure Suit Larry 1 - bypass age verification?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

tareon

Leisure Suit Larry 1 - bypass age verification?

Post by tareon »

The original interpreter of Larry let you bypass the age verification quiz by pressing and holding ctrl-alt-x during the titlescreen. Is there any way to achieve the same in ScummVM?
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

Would be nice, those questions are irritating as you don't know the answers to several of them if you haven't lived in the US. If that really was a "feature" of the original interpreter I don't see any reason to why it shouldn't be in ScummVM...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I have no idea about skipping the quiz, but you can find the answers on Al Lowe's web site.
tareon

Post by tareon »

It was a "feature" or let's call it a backdoor of the original interpreter. Al Lowe used it for himself during public presentations at the time (so he stated in an interview in a late 80's issue of a german gaming mag). Sierra left it in the release versions just like other debug commands for showing object/room numbers, heapsize informations, coordinates and other stuff of the AGI-Engine). Worked on all platforms (Amiga, Atari St, DOS...)

Just found on Al Lowe's website:
Trivia Quiz Age Check
While this isn't copy protection per se, it is a pain in the butt.
In the original, 1987 EGA version, you can bypass the trivia quiz completely by just pressing Alt-X.
In the remade, 1991 VGA version, I was much more sophisticated. There you have to add the Ctrl- key. Yep, you can bypass the trivia quiz by pressing Ctrl-Alt-X.
Don't you wish you had known these when you first played the game?
And as we know: Alt-X will quit ScummVM :x

Maybe it could be treated like the copy-protection of Monkey Island?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It is platform-dependent in ScummVM. For instance, in *nix quit key is Ctrl+Q, so original Alt+X in LSL1 works nice.

There is a (slowly) ongoing work on generic keymapper which will let solve this problem well, but now it is in early stages of development.

Eugene
Mud

Post by Mud »

Go through the age protection once, and then use control-F5 to load your saved game. :wink:
tareon

Post by tareon »

@sev:
Good to hear

@Mud:
My concern is more the lack of the original behavior, than the annoyance the check causes. And by the way... F5 doesn't work. You have to use F7 to restore a saved game, to which the game only responses AFTER the age check.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

If I'm not mistaken, you can bypass the age verification check with alt-SHIFT-x
tareon

Post by tareon »

@md5:
I will try that when I'm home. Is that documented somewhere?
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

md5 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you can bypass the age verification check with alt-SHIFT-x
didn't work for me.
Mud

Post by Mud »

tareon wrote:My concern is more the lack of the original behavior, than the annoyance the check causes. And by the way... F5 doesn't work. You have to use F7 to restore a saved game, to which the game only responses AFTER the age check.
Hmm.. that's right. I thought the ScummVM GUI save-thingy bypassed, but I just checked and it doesn't. I know I have skipped it, but I don't remember how.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Mataku wrote:
md5 wrote:If I'm not mistaken, you can bypass the age verification check with alt-SHIFT-x
didn't work for me.
It works in the original AGI version of the game (the EGA one), not in the newer SCI version. Basically, alt-shift-x does not trigger SDL to exit, but it's interpreted as alt-x by the game engine
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It works on the SCI remake for the age verification but not the copy protection. The SCI remake added copy protection that you actually need the manual for, while the AGI game only had age verification. But I think it's a different key combination like Ctrl+X for the remake rather than Alt-X for the original.
noize

Post by noize »

For the SCI version it depends on which version you are using. The CD collectors version doesn't have any copy protection.
The key combination to quit the aqe quiz for the SCI version is Ctrl-Alt-X.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Do you mean the CD version made specifically for the LSL1 remake? Or the CD collector's version as in the whole LSL collection? Because I have the collection (not the Vivendi re-release without LSL7 but the older and better Ultimate Pleasure Pack/Greatest Hits and Misses) and it does indeed ask for copy protection.