Leisure Suit Larry 1 - bypass age verification?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Collector

Post by Collector »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I have the collection (not the Vivendi re-release without LSL7 but the older and better Ultimate Pleasure Pack/Greatest Hits and Misses) and it does indeed ask for copy protection.
As does the Collection Series version.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Don't know if you guys will frown upon me mentioning this, but at the GBAGI site (GBAGI being the AGI interpreter/emulator for GBA) you can download a patch file for LSL1 AGI that should allow you to bypass the age verification part. Only thing is that you'll need to find a way to integrate it into the game's first data file (since unlike SCI, AGI games don't appear to detect and load external scripts) - AGI Studio or similar should do the trick (if you know what you're doing of course).
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Yes. I made my own patches for my copies of KQ4AGI and Gold Rush! as well (course, that means I don't get to see the cool hanging screen and utter last words, but hey). KQ3 is the only one that you can't really dispose the copy protection of, though. It's so much easier to change AGI's LOGIC files around than it is to alter SCI SCRIPT files because you don't have to disassemble AGI LOGIC and then make sense of all the assembly code mess (which I could understand assembly).

With some SCI games, however, it's quite easy to bypass copy protection. Like KQ4SCI, for instance. You just extract the title screen's SCRIPT resource file and renumber it in the same directory as the copy protection's SCRIPT resource file and instead of going to the copy protection screen it jumps straight to the title screen. I think this method only works for KQ4, though. PQ2 possible might as well. I can't seem to recall any other SCI copy protection screens right now...
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Interesting. I've also manually disabled LSL2's protection scheme before.... well, sort of. All I did was extract the appropriate script file out of the first RESOURCE file, run it through a hex-editor, locate the numbers (which are conveniently found at the end of the file), and change them all to, say, 0000 (I chose to leave 0724 intact since that functions differently to all the other numbers). So it's more of a dirty hack than a proper "make-it-vanish" function, but it's better than nothing!
arablizzard2413

Post by arablizzard2413 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Yes. I made my own patches for my copies of KQ4AGI and Gold Rush! as well (course, that means I don't get to see the cool hanging screen and utter last words, but hey).
Last time I tried that the game showed up as an AGI v3 fangame and Rosella started walking sideways. If you're crafty you can compile your own scummvm and have it change the logic number as its loaded to avoid altering your game files.
MusicallyInspired wrote:With some SCI games, however, it's quite easy to bypass copy protection. Like KQ4SCI, for instance. You just extract the title screen's SCRIPT resource file and renumber it in the same directory as the copy protection's SCRIPT resource file and instead of going to the copy protection screen it jumps straight to the title screen.
Huh, didn't think of that. I just scanned through script 000 until I found the byte I needed to change.
tareon

Re:

Post by tareon »

marzipan wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:14 pm Interesting. I've also manually disabled LSL2's protection scheme before.... well, sort of. All I did was extract the appropriate script file out of the first RESOURCE file, run it through a hex-editor, locate the numbers (which are conveniently found at the end of the file), and change them all to, say, 0000 (I chose to leave 0724 intact since that functions differently to all the other numbers). So it's more of a dirty hack than a proper "make-it-vanish" function, but it's better than nothing!
0724 is the developer's backdoor.

Found this on the GOG forums:
https://www.gog.com/forum/leisure_suit_ ... s_not_work
At the beginning of the game, you need to enter a phone number from the manual in order to start the game. However, the newer version game features an unversal phone number working with each girl - 555-0724. This number has been "taken" from Al Lowe's birthday date (July 24, 1946).

This "Master Code" does the following things:
- skips the intro, throwing you into the gameplay
- enables inventory cheat. Type "get object' (replace the word object with item name in order to get it
envisaged0ne

Re: Leisure Suit Larry 1 - bypass age verification?

Post by envisaged0ne »

The original AGI LSL used Alt+X to bypass the age verification. You use it after you enter your age & the 1st question comes up. The SCI version has you do Ctrl+Alt+X to bypass the age questions. Again, use it when the 1st question comes up. I tested this on both the AGI & SCI games, using ScummVM, and they both worked as expected