Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

SuperDre wrote:And you can actually provide number which shows the populairity of their games have increased through Scummvm? I think that's a very bold statement without actual numbers..
Yes, we can. Especially for those companies which collaborate with ScummVM. Also it is a pretty known fact that prices for games skyrocket on eBay once ScummVM adds support to them.
SuperDre wrote: And even if you don't have the intention of supporting piracy, the fact ScummVM does run pirated versions makes it a bit of a problem... So don't think for a second that everyone who uses ScummVM is using only legally optained versions of the games ScummVM supports, as you can find complete sets of games with scummvm included on nonlegal sites..
But that's the negative site about ScummVM
You're funny. Majority of those games could be played with DOSBox and other emulators, right? And does it make DOSBox pro-piratey?

So why it is negative side of ScummVM and not of internet overally where 0day sites offer ISOs next day the game is released for any platform in the world?

And yes, we do not support running pirated versions if there is a way to tell by the data files.

Eugene
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

sev wrote:Also it is a pretty known fact that prices for games skyrocket on eBay once ScummVM adds support to them.
Which doesn't directly do anything for the developer and/or publisher except, of course, to prove there's still some value to be squeezed from old games and maybe induce them to start selling those old games again (such as via GOG) if they haven't gotten the point already.

I think, long term, what ScummVM/Residual/DOSBox/Exult/Pentagram/Wine/etc will ultimately and definitively prove is that the old assumptions about games (that no one gives a smeg about them when they're no longer brand new) aren't at all valid and start to get what only a few so far have: that working with emulation/interpreter projects and the GOG retail model is a smart move. Maybe not hugely important to the bottom line, but a few extra shekels never hurt anyone.

So while piracy might be an issue, what ScummVM is really enouraging is an attitude shift: instead of viewing games as though they were cars (planned obsolescence), they should be viewed more like books which are inifinitely reissuable (there are books which were originally 'published' on clay tablets or papyrus scrolls which are now in digital formats).
noize

Post by noize »

sev wrote:You're funny. Majority of those games could be played with DOSBox and other emulators, right? And does it make DOSBox pro-piratey?

So why it is negative side of ScummVM and not of internet overally where 0day sites offer ISOs next day the game is released for any platform in the world?
This is a good question, and could be explained by the fact that ScummVM was developed to run LucasArts games, a clearly focused threat for them and very easy to allocate, which is certainly not the case for a program like DOSBox which is intented for ALL DOS programs and games, or a digital place like internet -where to begin?-.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

sev wrote:You're funny. Majority of those games could be played with DOSBox and other emulators, right? And does it make DOSBox pro-piratey?

You are right, DOSBox cannot be said to be any more pro-piratey than DOS. It has exactly the same function as the free (I think) Microsoft operating system.

This point can be applied to ScummVM too. To play a ScummVM game you only need files, not the disk. With old DOS floppy games you only need the files too, as they don't need a disk to run. You are not bypassing any protection on the original copy.

When it comes to CD games that need the CD to run however, (CoMI for instance) it applies more. ScummVM allows you to copy files off of the CD, bypassing the copyright protection element that is a CD check.

When it comes to downloadable games, assuming the abscence of DRM, you are back in the floppy disc zone. As long as you have the files you would be able to play them with or without ScummVM.

To me this means that ScummVM wouldn't loose Lucasarts any sales of the Special Edition. It only exists as a means of running the game on another system.

Also, as far as I know, all CD games supported are no longer in circulation. This means that the project isn't loosing the original publishers any sales. The only game (as far as I know) that originally needed a CD and is still sold is the Broken Sword Trilogy set which comes packaged with ScummVM proving the publisher's (Revolution Software's) support of this project.

To pirate any ScummVM game you wouldn't necessaraly need ScummVM. This means that ScummVM cannot be accused of promoting piracy.
Last edited by Graxer on Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Graxer wrote:When it comes to CD games that need the CD to run however, (CoMI for instance) it applies more. ScummVM allows you to copy files off of the CD, bypassing the copyright protection element that is a CD check.
That happens with DOSBox too: DOSBox itself allows you to mount an ISO image directly as a CD, which again circumvents simple CD checks
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

noize wrote:

This is a good question, and could be explained by the fact that ScummVM was developed to run LucasArts games, a clearly focused threat for them and very easy to allocate, which is certainly not the case for a program like DOSBox which is intented for ALL DOS programs and games, or a digital place like internet -where to begin?-.
Huh?
ChickenHound

Post by ChickenHound »

Tales of Monkey Island looks TERRIBLE (Remember, EFMI sucked and this probably will too.). But the SOMI remake looks VERY nice. I hope ScummVM will support it too!
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Graxer wrote:When it comes to CD games that need the CD to run however, (CoMI for instance) it applies more. ScummVM allows you to copy files off of the CD, bypassing the copyright protection element that is a CD check.
Except, that you could just do the same thing without ScummVM too. Only Loom and MI1 have a CD check, but not meant as a copy protection, but to make sure, the correct audio tracks are there. And since this is no copy protection, copying the discs is very easy. LEC never was a big fan of copy protected media back then.
The only game (as far as I know) that originally needed a CD and is still sold is the Broken Sword Trilogy set which comes packaged with ScummVM proving the publisher's (Revolution Software's) support of this project.
There is no need to prove anything here. They even supplied their source codes to the ScummVM team to begin with.
ChickenHound wrote:Tales of Monkey Island looks TERRIBLE (Remember, EFMI sucked and this probably will too.).
Since it is a different team, I have good faith in it and ordered already. I had my doubt in Sam&Max going 3D first, as it didn't seem to fit to a comic world. But it did work, imho. In case you didn't try, there is a free Episode: http://www.telltalegames.com/samandmax/lincolnmustdie
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Graxer wrote:Also, as far as I know, all CD games supported are no longer in circulation. This means that the project isn't loosing the original publishers any sales. The only game (as far as I know) that originally needed a CD and is still sold is the Broken Sword Trilogy set which comes packaged with ScummVM proving the publisher's (Revolution Software's) support of this project.
You seem to be pretty ignorant, as you did not read even our site and/or Wiki.

Out of CD games which are still on sale (out of top of my head, the list is incomplete) are: Simon The Sourcerer 1&2, Feeble Files, Inherit the Earth, I have no Mouth and I Must Scream, great bunch of Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, Agent FOX, Putt-Putt and Backyard Sports games from Humongous/Atari. Well, even many latter LucasArts titles are still on sale: Full Throttle, Sam&Max, COMI come to mind. Then go Return to Zork, Gobliiins 1-3, and you may even consider recent Sierra re-releases as CD games too.

Eugene
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

sev wrote:
Graxer wrote:Also, as far as I know, all CD games supported are no longer in circulation. This means that the project isn't loosing the original publishers any sales. The only game (as far as I know) that originally needed a CD and is still sold is the Broken Sword Trilogy set which comes packaged with ScummVM proving the publisher's (Revolution Software's) support of this project.

Out of CD games which are still on sale (out of top of my head, the list is incomplete) are: Simon The Sourcerer 1&2, Feeble Files, Inherit the Earth, I have no Mouth and I Must Scream, great bunch of Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, Agent FOX, Putt-Putt and Backyard Sports games from Humongous/Atari. Well, even many latter LucasArts titles are still on sale: Full Throttle, Sam&Max, COMI come to mind. Then go Return to Zork, Gobliiins 1-3, and you may even consider recent Sierra re-releases as CD games too.

Eugene
Do you mean in the UK? Because I've searched for many of those games over here and cannot find them for sale anywhere appart from ebay. When I went on holiday to Canada last year however, I came back with many ScummVM games. From what you say, I think they are probably alot more easy to get your hands on outwith the UK.

Also, I did say "as far as I know", so I did bear in mind that I may be wrong.

Edit: It seems that Amazon UK does have a few of the LucasArts classics. However, I have never seen them in stores. (With the exception of Grim Fandango) Even on Amazon there is a complete abscence of new copies of ScummVM supported HE games that are not being sold by other users.
Last edited by Graxer on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:46 am, edited 5 times in total.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

sev wrote:

Eugene
Yeah, but not everywhere, nor in all of the languages original versions used to support.

Here in France, it's only since a few months that you can find a rerelease of The Dig, Sam & Max Hit The Road and Full Throttle with a Windows patch, and only in one retailer. During years before that, and still for the others LucasArts games, there was absolutly no way to find these in shops.

So even if ScummVM is absolutly not supporting piracy, we still got to be honnest with ourselves : for many people, there is only one way now to find these 15-20 years old games in their native language. In my case, I had the chance of buying a french magazine which was distributing LucasArts games in the 90s, but that was 15 years ago.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Kisdra wrote:So even if ScummVM is absolutly not supporting piracy, we still got to be honnest with ourselves : for many people, there is only one way now to find these 15-20 years old games in their native language.
That's nonsense. After all eBay, Amazon and GameTZ are out there.

Eugene
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Amazon France : The Curse of Monkey Island or Escape from Monkey Island only
eBay France : same
GameTZ : no french versions for the MI DOS games.

And if a game is available somewhere, in a given language, it's 1 copy, perhaps 2 or 3 maximum. And the potential "audience" for ScummVM is in hundreds or thousands.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, that's still no excuse for piracy. If you can't find a game legally, ScummVM does STILL not support downloading it.

It's like saying Pioneer supports piracy because their dvd players support divx or dvd-r's:P
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Kisdra wrote:And if a game is available somewhere, in a given language, it's 1 copy, perhaps 2 or 3 maximum. And the potential "audience" for ScummVM is in hundreds or thousands.
Well 1 to 3 copies is enough for you, right? ;-) Also I doubt we'll have thousands of users searching for one specific game version in their native language and not finding any on ebay...