Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Wow, have this thread gone off-topic or what? :P

Anyway, I don't see what the big deal is, I like ScummVM cause I bought the games back in the 90s and still have the discs. And thanks to ScummVM I can now play the games easily on my computer, but more importantly, on my mobile phone during the long bus rides and how awesome isn't that? 8)

Also, ScummVM is pretty much the sole reason to why I bought Broken Sword 1&2 4-5 years ago (and later Broken Sword 3 & 4 even though they aren't compatible with ScummVM).

Thanks ScummVM team! :D

PS. I wish that someone would make a similiar reverse engineered open source project for the first two X-COM titles and port it to Symbian too, and I would be in absolute heaven! :)
Mud

Post by Mud »

sev wrote:Out of CD games which are still on sale (out of top of my head, the list is incomplete) are: Simon The Sourcerer 1&2, Feeble Files, Inherit the Earth, I have no Mouth and I Must Scream, great bunch of Freddi Fish, Pajama Sam, Agent FOX, Putt-Putt and Backyard Sports games from Humongous/Atari. Well, even many latter LucasArts titles are still on sale: Full Throttle, Sam&Max, COMI come to mind. Then go Return to Zork, Gobliiins 1-3, and you may even consider recent Sierra re-releases as CD games too.
Gobliiins? Where? I've found used copies, but I can't find any new. (Also the wiki doesn't mention it)
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

The old Goblins games are released with the new Goblins 4 game methinks.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Kisdra wrote:GameTZ : no french versions for the MI DOS games.
The CD version of MI1 comes with five languages including french.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:
Only one multi-language version has the five languages. Most only come with one language. The multi-language version is pretty rare, iirc.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Well, sweet! I have the rare version! YEY!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

MusicallyInspired wrote:Well, sweet! I have the rare version! YEY!
Awww, I don't :( My MI1 CD is english only. Not that it matters to me, though :P
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

I could never understand why someone wanted to dub something. French movies are best in french, and english games are best in english. I'm norwegian, but I would never ever want to play MI translated to my own language:P

The jokes wouldn't work and it would be, well, wrong.
Seldon

Post by Seldon »

Jonatan wrote:I would never ever want to play MI translated to my own language:P

Precisely!
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Jonatan wrote:I could never understand why someone wanted to dub something. French movies are best in french, and english games are best in english.
Well, there is the comedy value of all those old Japanese monster movies with the wildly out-of-sync dubbing.

Sometimes it has to be done. Take The Longest Journey. There's not a lot of Norwegian speakers outside of Norway.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i was very disappointed to read that i won't be able to play the se with voices & original graphics.
i'm hoping someone will come up with a way to do so, whether it be by scummvm support (i'd understand if you guys didn't want to do that), an unofficial scummvm patch, or a hack for the official executable.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

MeddlingMonk wrote: So while piracy might be an issue, what ScummVM is really enouraging is an attitude shift: instead of viewing games as though they were cars (planned obsolescence), they should be viewed more like books which are inifinitely reissuable (there are books which were originally 'published' on clay tablets or papyrus scrolls which are now in digital formats).
The legendary Gilgamesh epic. Great. ;-)

Graxer wrote: When it comes to CD games that need the CD to run however, (CoMI for instance) it applies more. ScummVM allows you to copy files off of the CD, bypassing the copyright protection element that is a CD check.
Wrong. There is no CD check copy protection at CMI, at least there isn't one at my copy. At the time when CMI was published, copy protection on CD games were rather uncommon. The CD check is for some other reasons: at that time, hard drive space was relatively small; the game data of CMI would have taken a large amount of space, so they weren't locally installed but directly read from the CD. That requires the right CD to be inserted, thatÄs all. If you copied the content to your HDD, the game ran without any CD inserted, it doesn't have anything to do with ScummVM.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

clone2727 wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:
Only one multi-language version has the five languages. Most only come with one language. The multi-language version is pretty rare, iirc.
I got it. ;-)

And it is still available on eBay, if you look around a bit.
Jonatan wrote:I could never understand why someone wanted to dub something. French movies are best in french, and english games are best in english. I'm norwegian, but I would never ever want to play MI translated to my own language:P

What sense is it, playing a game or watching a film in a language you don't understand? It is correct that these media are best in there original language, but what use is it when you don't understand a thing. And dubbed versions are better than subtitled, so you don't spend all the time on reading. The DVD makes it very easy for you: you just chose the language audio you prefer.
And by the way, the German version of Monkey Island is by Boris Schneider and Heinrich Lenhardt, founders of the most well known computer games magazine of the early 90s, Powerplay. And MI was in fact one of the first games that were officially localized in German. And that was done by the godfathers of game testers themselves. The result was a great localization of MI1 and 2, made with lots of love. ;-)
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Jonatan wrote:I could never understand why someone wanted to dub something. French movies are best in french, and english games are best in english. I'm norwegian, but I would never ever want to play MI translated to my own language:P

We've got good translators in France. An when there's a good cast, it's really great. For example, the voice of Rincewind in the french version of Discworld 2 is made by a famous french comedian, and it's just awesome.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kisdra wrote: We've got good translators in France. An when there's a good cast, it's really great. For example, the voice of Rincewind in the french version of Discworld 2 is made by a famous french comedian, and it's just awesome.
They'd probably have to do something creative about the Monty Python references though, where Rincewind complains about déjà vu. Unless the same comedian also dubbed Eric Idle's voice in the Monty Python movies and TV series. :-)