Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I wonder if they're gonna implement Imuse in either of these games. I mean, Micheal land is doing the music for the new game, and he is one of the creators of Imuse, but does he own any rights to the system?
And in the remake, from what i've seen they're just doing the same music only renewed, nothing that would require the use of Imuse, maybe just for fade-ins and outs...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mataku wrote:I wonder if they're gonna implement Imuse in either of these games.
I'm not familiar with the inner workings of iMUSE for digitized music, but as a user the feature I find most notable is the ability to seamlessly switch between two different arrangements of the same piece of music. This is used for instance at the Barbery Coast in The Curse of Monkey Island.

From what I remember, the Telltale games already use that particular trick, usually so that they can use a more subdued version of the music whenever someone's talking.
Harrypoppins

Post by Harrypoppins »

And the remake does it will run on scummvm ?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I'm kind of hoping that the data files that ScummVM uses for the classic PC version are contained within the remake. (In the same way that Maniac Mansion files are contained within DOTT) If they are I hope they work with ScummVM. I know that the remake itself probably wont run on ScummVM, as Lucasarts would probably threaten legal action if their new engine version was supported, especially since they presumably still use it. (I'm hoping for a Monkey Island 2 Special Edition)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

I don't think it's a matter of files being supplied (like MM in DOTT), but how they are encrypted. Also, there is no point in having the original files from back then (other than having them for those who didn't bought the game in the past), as it also would miss the voice acting. DRM is a really annoying thing, which I always avoided. Even if the distributor allows the transfer to a different computer, you never know when he just decided to cancel support and the game no longer works.

Having that in mind, I really hope that the game can be purchased on a regular DVD and don't require online product activation or such things.
And if it does, hopefully only the EXE is encrypted and not the data files, so ScummVM support could be added relatively easy. It would be mainly a matter of the higher resolution, then, I guess.

I never bought any DRM cripples software so far, and I don't like to, unless I could be sure, that I can use it forever.

If they only didn't dump all their talented people back then. Don't using copy protection on their media was a thing, I really liked. And they even suggested playing from a backup copy to keep the original disks in a safe place in their manuals. The codewheel was their genius attempt to keep pirates away, imho.

Putting money in copy protection methods which will be cracked in days, sometimes only hours, is a waste of money. And the loyal customer pays for it, too. Money which could be used for better quality control, for instance. Or just a lower retail price.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Hmm, I think I read that the PC version will only be distributed as a digital download. If I'm right there's not going to be a DVD version at all.
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

Jonatan wrote:Hmm, I think I read that the PC version will only be distributed as a digital download. If I'm right there's not going to be a DVD version at all.
I think, I could live with that, if the download is not crippled. I'm not a big fan of boxes anyways, as they take so much space. And as most software comes in Amaray cases nowadays, it's not much difference to a self printed cover anyways.
Kisdra

Post by Kisdra »

Jonatan wrote:Hmm, I think I read that the PC version will only be distributed as a digital download. If I'm right there's not going to be a DVD version at all.
It'll be also released for Xbox Live Arcade, and all games which are release on both are digital only.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

(Disclaimer: This post is going waaay offtopic)
LogicDeLuxe wrote:Putting money in copy protection methods which will be cracked in days, sometimes only hours, is a waste of money.
Unfortunately, this is not the case. DRM on PC (and most other stuff) never stops the 'poweruser', but the failure to do that does not make it useless.

DRM stops the not-so-clued.
Hmmm, copy-paste does not work, I give up. There are a lot more people buying movies, music, games etc, then there are people who know how to hunt down, and work with 'illegitimate' bits.

DRM prevents compatibility.
Why did they even bother with AACS on Blue-Ray disks? Well it prevents some random 3rd party from making a rogue compatible player and sell it. Now all 3rd party BR player manufacturers have to pay money for a license. Rogue players are still possible ofcause but their makers are more easy to sue since they 'stole' IP and circumvented DRM.

DRM kills the 2nd hand market.
Not in all cases ofcause, but schemes where you have to make an online account to activate your copy do just that. The account is bound to your identity and the serial# is useless once the account is made.

DRM un-globalises availability and pricing.
You can't sell region-1 DVD's in Europe unless you slap a big warning sticker on it. Games bought on continent A might not pass the online activation on continent B. All this enables more 'advanced' pricing and marketing schemes.

DRM enables planned obsolescence.
So your 10-year-old software does not work on your new OS and hardware because of some seriously dirty hacks used? Buy the new and improved version! There are ofcause emulators and hypervisors, but that is beyond most peoples knowledge and they do not cure all problems.

I may have missed a couple here but you get the idea.
It pains me greatly to say that DRM infact DOES make business scene. Weather this business scene is ethical or not is wide open for debate ofcause :)
mglz

Post by mglz »

Mataku wrote:I wonder if they're gonna implement Imuse in either of these games.
I think LucasArts own iMuse. I'm sure I remember seeing it on more recent games (KOTOR?)

Telltale have used FMOD for their games so far.

http://www.fmod.org/index.php/products/designer

Interactive Music System

FMOD's interactive music system allows a sound designer to create a music score full of musical variation and non-linear sequencing that connects easily to game state. Construct musical movements and link these movements with seamless or crossfaded transitions.

Add dynamic variation using layered audio pieces and one-shot style flourishes. Preserve musicality and synchronize music pieces to the beats you specify.

From reading that I suppose it's capable of some iMuse-like effects.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Lucasarts may well have introduced the world to 'non linear' music (I don't know if they were the first?) but newer tech has provided this feature for sure - DirectMusic (part of the DirectX library) is one example. OMF Battlegrounds (not widely known/played/liked sequel to OMF 2097) used dynamic music with 10 moods IIRC.
Mud

Post by Mud »

Mataku wrote:I think LucasArts own iMuse. I'm sure I remember seeing it on more recent games (KOTOR?)
I don't think it was KOTOR, because all of KOTOR's music is in .wav format.
mglz

Post by mglz »

Yes, I think I was wrong about KOTOR. For some reason I recalled seeing an iMuse logo somewhere on the game but can't find it now.
:roll:

Direct Music - that seemed like a really cool system, unfortunately I think it's dead now (all references to it in DirectX are officially "deprecated.") No matter how brilliant an interactive MIDI score is most players are probably more impressed by a nice sounding static loop and simple crossfades.

That said, I'm sure Tales of Monkey Island will have fantastic music and Michael Land is sure to get the best out of whatever tools they're using.
SithlordDK

Post by SithlordDK »

mglz wrote: That said, I'm sure Tales of Monkey Island will have fantastic music and Michael Land is sure to get the best out of whatever tools they're using.
Is he (Land) even involved?
Laserschwert

Post by Laserschwert »

SithlordDK wrote:
mglz wrote: That said, I'm sure Tales of Monkey Island will have fantastic music and Michael Land is sure to get the best out of whatever tools they're using.
Is he (Land) even involved?
Not only "involved", he's the composer of the series.