Tales of Monkey Island Announced + Revamped Original

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

hence the last line of my post :)

Mataku

Post by Mataku »

I've seen some gameplay videos of the special edition, and it seems nice enough, even tho the sprites looks kinda wierd, especially the walking animations, also they didn't even bother doing lipsynch on the closeups. Also, I Expected that when you switch to the older version, you'd still have an option to hear speech, which you don't. On the other hand, they did put Spiffy in the new version :lol:

raina

Post by raina »

I believe you can enable speech for the classic mode just as you can enable subtitles for the modern mode.

Telev

Post by Telev »

Here a video during 7min concerning the remake.

Sorry for my english :p
The site is in frensh, but the video is in english

Mataku

Post by Mataku »

raina wrote:I believe you can enable speech for the classic mode just as you can enable subtitles for the modern mode.
Well, I havn't seen it done, so I'm assuming you can't.

raina

Post by raina »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNLKNvY2wM @ 5:58.

Could be edited, but that would seem a little pointless.

crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

The remake looks great, but i hate its interface. I hate games, especialy adventures, made for game consoles. Because of, its pc conversions allways have bad interfaces.

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It seems to be built right on top of the orignal Scumm code, though (which the devs said themselves in the video), which means the interface would conceivably be intact for the PC version. But I suppose we have yet to see.

Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Anybody given a thought as to what achievements might be available? Or leaderboards?

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Well, they did mention completing the game without using the hint system would be one. Also, I'm thinking completing the game in classic mode would be one as well.

bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

crazy_achmed wrote:The remake looks great, but i hate its interface. I hate games, especialy adventures, made for game consoles. Because of, its pc conversions allways have bad interfaces.
Meh, that would apply to games with complex controls. You'd have to screw up badly to degrade simple point&click.... Although I have to admit they managed to do just that with MI4.....

I'm much more afraid this will be crapified with DRM, making it hard/impossible to use various workarounds to play on anything else then a Windows host....
I'm mostly playing old stuff nowadays to get away from just that :)

crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

bobdevis wrote:
crazy_achmed wrote:The remake looks great, but i hate its interface. I hate games, especialy adventures, made for game consoles. Because of, its pc conversions allways have bad interfaces.
Meh, that would apply to games with complex controls. You'd have to screw up badly to degrade simple point&click.... Although I have to admit they managed to do just that with MI4.....

I'm much more afraid this will be crapified with DRM, making it hard/impossible to use various workarounds to play on anything else then a Windows host....
I'm mostly playing old stuff nowadays to get away from just that :)
You are right, but i think all games which were naturaly played with the mouse, have too complex controlls for consoles. The result are menus which are good to navigate though whith controllers but are not the efficentest solution if you can use a mouse.

SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

But appearantly it wasn't a problem for adventures like broken sword.. which was also a success (for an adventuregame)on the consoles.. Never having played BS on a console I can't really comment on how it actually plays.

crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

SuperDre wrote:But appearantly it wasn't a problem for adventures like broken sword.. which was also a success (for an adventuregame)on the consoles.. Never having played BS on a console I can't really comment on how it actually plays.
But if i remember it right, BF was created for PC and later ported to console? If iam right then this makes a huge difference :)

SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

crazy_achmed wrote:
SuperDre wrote:But appearantly it wasn't a problem for adventures like broken sword.. which was also a success (for an adventuregame)on the consoles.. Never having played BS on a console I can't really comment on how it actually plays.
But if i remember it right, BF was created for PC and later ported to console? If iam right then this makes a huge difference :)
You're propably right, but it's the same with the current special edition of MI, first developed on the PC then ported to console...