Sanitarium Engine - All help is welcome

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
Vegan
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:31 am

Post by Vegan »

Me too. Sanitarium works pretty well in XP but I do remember some weirdness. It's always good to get another game under ScummVM's belt.

User avatar
Red_Breast
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.

Post by Red_Breast »

I just downloaded the demo for this and it works with Wine. It looks like it's the start of the game as well.
I've never heard of it before. For some reason I'm reminded of Little Big Adventure.
Another game for me to huntdown.
More importantly I posted to say I'm impressed with the work done.

How much time do I have to find a copy? In other words do have a rough idea for when you hope to be finished?

User avatar
maximus
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by maximus »

Red_Breast wrote:I just downloaded the demo for this and it works with Wine. It looks like it's the start of the game as well.
I've never heard of it before. For some reason I'm reminded of Little Big Adventure.
Another game for me to huntdown.
More importantly I posted to say I'm impressed with the work done.

How much time do I have to find a copy? In other words do have a rough idea for when you hope to be finished?
Not to be glib, but I think the common answer around here is "it's done when it's done :P".

If you buy a full version of the game, don't be surprised if you can't get past the first level while playing in Wine. There's apparently some D3D issues that still need to be resolved, but the Wine community is always a good resource for solutions ;)

User avatar
Red_Breast
Posts: 785
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33 pm
Location: The Bar Of Gold, Upper Swandam Lane.

Post by Red_Breast »

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep my eye on the project.
Good luck with the rest of it.

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3323
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn »

maximus wrote: If you buy a full version of the game, don't be surprised if you can't get past the first level while playing in Wine. There's apparently some D3D issues that still need to be resolved, but the Wine community is always a good resource for solutions ;)
It used to work in Wine, with minor glitches and frequent memory leaks, but I guess there has been some sort of regression then.

User avatar
alexfont
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Post by alexfont »

Again, thanks for all the interest about the project. Its pretty good to hear that.


The past month we had little activity in the project, but it was mostly because vacations. At least in my case :), but actually did the first BlowUp Puzzle we got in the game, the VCR. Now I am in the task to improve the barriers (objects) updates since some of them aren't yet displayed and their animation fps aren't set as they should.


Our main goal is to start doing some conceptual tasks and later improve it according with game engine, etc., so we boost a bit some parts of the project. We did this a lot in first month. Now, most of the structure, at least the base, is done, so we got to improve it to exactly we need. Like better sound and music system, palette manipulation, gameplay, scripting, menu etc..
Also, like maximus said, we want to first make first Chapter to run smootly. Anyway, most things we done will mostly work for other chapters since a lof of things, special in scripting are common. So, it won't be a waste of time.


Thanks again and don't forget, if you can help, just let us know ;)

Bobbin
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:41 am
Location: Germany

Post by Bobbin »

Seeing lots of action in the trunk lately, just wanted to thank you for making all the efforts. Btw this was actually the first game my first girl-friend played with me on the computer :)

User avatar
alexfont
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Post by alexfont »

Thanks for the compliments, and I can understand why this game touch you ;)

The past commits don't give new features but improved the previous ones like original implementation. This is the focus now, and my next task is to build the first steps to display characters like original engine since now we have our own. This rework is mainly due to flag manipulation the original engine does which can later give us problems if we continue with our own. Anyway, some of this work will still be used in the new implementation.
Object display isn't yet fully compatible but doing this character thing can allow us to understand what is causing some wrong behaviors.

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

any news?

User avatar
maximus
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by maximus »

Jonatan wrote:any news?
The project's still going ... albeit slowly. We're currently rewriting all the actor code, as the implementation we did initially strayed pretty far from the original game, and has caused us issues as a result.

We're always on the lookout for new members to the team because honestly, there's not always that much time either alexandre or I can devote to this.

MD5 has helped us out quite a bit, but I think he's quite busy these days with SCI (which I can't wait to see working 100% :D)

We should probably update the "progress" on the code page though ... :P

skid
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:04 pm

Post by skid »

I'm really sorry to read on the project's website that Alex backs down from development for the next few months. I hope the project won't be abandoned by the other contributors. This was really shaping up to be one great scummvm engine addition. Would be a shame if it would halt now.

Best of luck to Alex though. I hope everything works out for you.

Deledrius
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:15 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Deledrius »

I'm out of state right now with limited access to my tools (hence the recent lack of updates from myself), but I don't intend to give up on this project and I expect the other devs feel the same way.

Ebb and flow is the natural order of small-team projects, I think.

User avatar
maximus
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by maximus »

skid wrote:I'm really sorry to read on the project's website that Alex backs down from development for the next few months. I hope the project won't be abandoned by the other contributors. This was really shaping up to be one great scummvm engine addition. Would be a shame if it would halt now.

Best of luck to Alex though. I hope everything works out for you.
Thanks for the love man ;) The wife and I just recently bought a house and it looks like there's a new addition to the family on the way ... so I'm doing more contract work on the side.

Since RE work can take a LOT of time to make little progress, I found I'd hit a point where I just can't dedicate the blocks of time I needed to do anything useful (an hour here or there just doesn't cut it).

I mostly posted that so my team members wouldn't think I vanished :P

On a completely unrelated note, I had a few hours yesterday since my wife was sick, so I decided to port (update) jvprat's old wip code for the DGDS engine to the recent trunk. I'm hoping to check it into google code as a separate project next week, so if anyone wants to work on getting Willy Beamish, Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon working under ScummVM, lemme know ;)

(that should probably have been a separate post, but if there's any interest, we can branch the conversation...)

Deledrius
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:15 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Deledrius »

maximus wrote: Thanks for the love man ;) The wife and I just recently bought a house and it looks like there's a new addition to the family on the way ... so I'm doing more contract work on the side.
Great news! Those are the good kind of reasons to be busy. ;)
maximus wrote: On a completely unrelated note, I had a few hours yesterday since my wife was sick, so I decided to port (update) jvprat's old wip code for the DGDS engine to the recent trunk. I'm hoping to check it into google code as a separate project next week, so if anyone wants to work on getting Willy Beamish, Heart of China and Rise of the Dragon working under ScummVM, lemme know ;)
This is all kinds of nifty. :)

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

Just wanted to let everyone know that the game is now available for purchase again at gog.com, completly drm free:) can't wait for scummvm support now! How are you guys getting along?

Post Reply