Sanitarium Engine - All help is welcome

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
Jorpho
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:20 am

Post by Jorpho »

Is this the same engine used by Chronomaster?

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

Jorpho wrote:Is this the same engine used by Chronomaster?
Too early to say. Having looked at Chronomaster, the container format seems to be the same as the one used in Sanitarium. But the contained files themselves are different (e.g. as a first observation, Chronomaster doesn't use WAVE files like Sanitarium does). Also, Chronomaster uses its own format for videos (some files with the extension "dfa", some more info here: http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=DFA).
Sanitarium uses Smacker movies

User avatar
alexfont
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Post by alexfont »

Sanitarium engine was build from scratch but used previous Dreamforge product sources. So in some way it must be similar to Chronomaster as well but not the entire engine.

User avatar
john_doe
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 117
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:25 pm
Location: Stuttgart, Germany

Post by john_doe »

From my "investigations" into Chronomaster and Sanitarium they don't seem to have much in common. Veil of Darkness and Sanitarium seem more similar.

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

john_doe wrote:From my "investigations" into Chronomaster and Sanitarium they don't seem to have much in common. Veil of Darkness and Sanitarium seem more similar.
Veil of Darkness? This wasn't made by the same company. Perhaps you're referring to Anvil of Dawn?

KuroShiro
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Miyazaki, Japan

Post by KuroShiro »

md5 wrote:
john_doe wrote:From my "investigations" into Chronomaster and Sanitarium they don't seem to have much in common. Veil of Darkness and Sanitarium seem more similar.
Veil of Darkness? This wasn't made by the same company. Perhaps you're referring to Anvil of Dawn?
Actually it was. Veil of Darkness was made by Event Horizon Software, which later changed its name to DreamForge Intertainment (see here).

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

KuroShiro wrote:
md5 wrote:
john_doe wrote:From my "investigations" into Chronomaster and Sanitarium they don't seem to have much in common. Veil of Darkness and Sanitarium seem more similar.
Veil of Darkness? This wasn't made by the same company. Perhaps you're referring to Anvil of Dawn?
Actually it was. Veil of Darkness was made by Event Horizon Software, which later changed its name to DreamForge Intertainment (see here).
Ah that explains a lot. Thanks

Deledrius
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:15 pm
Location: Southern California

Post by Deledrius »

This is great news. I started working on REing this back in January with the intent to hopefully add it as an engine to ScummVM. I loved this game back when I got it and it's a shame it's buggy or unplayable on modern systems.

I had started to make a bit of headway into some of the early bits, but got distracted by other projects. It's been nearly impossible finding any info on this game outside of that gamasutra article, so everything's been from scratch.

I'd love to help out with this in whatever way you need, just let me know. :D

User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2261
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

Deledrius wrote:This is great news. I started working on REing this back in January with the intent to hopefully add it as an engine to ScummVM. I loved this game back when I got it and it's a shame it's buggy or unplayable on modern systems.

I had started to make a bit of headway into some of the early bits, but got distracted by other projects. It's been nearly impossible finding any info on this game outside of that gamasutra article, so everything's been from scratch.

I'd love to help out with this in whatever way you need, just let me know. :D
Nice :) any help is welcome. What bits did you work on?

User avatar
alexfont
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: Ireland
Contact:

Post by alexfont »

Lets revive this a bit.

There are some great updates under http://asylumengine.googlecode.com page.

Check it out for the last engine improvements.

Again, all help is welcome. So, if you think you can help us, just drop a message.

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

Nice, that's freakin awesome progress!

Good luck on your continued implementation, I also love this game:)

User avatar
saulob
Posts: 89
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:06 am
Location: Brazil

Post by saulob »

Really Amazing :)

Keep it going, thanks.

skid
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:04 pm

Post by skid »

So how's it going alex?

Been following the progress since you moved the project to google code and have to say the progress up to this point is really impressive. It's good to see that there's quite a few people contributing.

Keep up the great work, guys.

User avatar
maximus
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:17 pm
Location: Toronto, Ontario

Post by maximus »

skid wrote:So how's it going alex?

Been following the progress since you moved the project to google code and have to say the progress up to this point is really impressive. It's good to see that there's quite a few people contributing.

Keep up the great work, guys.
It's always good to know there's interest in the project ;) I spoke with Alexandre, and I think we'll release a build once the first scene is completable so that people can try it out and we can get some feedback.

If you're interested in contributing though, just shoot one of us a PM :)

Crimsonskies
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:20 pm

Post by Crimsonskies »

I've also been checking your progress almost everyday and it's great to see that you guys are still working on it, that doesn't happen often with these types of projects. Usually people give up halfway :roll:. I know I already made a post in this topic a couple months ago but I just wanted you guys to know that I'm still excited for this to be completed, so don't give up! :lol:

Post Reply