Sanitarium Engine - All help is welcome

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

killcake wrote:Just stopping by to keep interest up. :)
My interest is definitely still up but then again I'm no dev. Last real commit must have been months ago, hopefully this doesn't enter the engine cemetary™ alongside Last Express, M4 or Unity.
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

Is Last Express in the cemetery?
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

CaptainJei wrote:Is Last Express in the cemetery?
Not actually, but didn't see a commit for some time so it seems to be one of these engines developers suddenly loose interest in. But I might be wrong - hopefully I am :)
CaptainJei

Post by CaptainJei »

I see. From what I read in the commits, there seemed to be a lot in the game that is hardcoded, so I can see how it could be an intimidating and time-consuming process. I hope work will resume on The Last Express and Sanitarium. It makes me wish I was a better programmer.
topolinik

Post by topolinik »

Guys, in which github repository are you committing latest updates at the moment?
Is it this
https://github.com/alexbevi/scummvm
or this
https://github.com/Littleboy/scummvm/tree/asylum
?
maximus

Post by maximus »

topolinik

Post by topolinik »

WOW! The tower level is really impressive and (it seems) quite complete. Well done!
Anyway, scummvm tells me to report these data to you:

Code: Select all

{"SNTRM.DAT", 0, "7cfcc457c1f579fbf9878ac175d29374", 8930},
  {"RES.000", 0, "fa342da449bbf87c43b7c8fc51747ee4", 285198},
  {"SCN.006", 0, "3a5b54da08198012dc0614114782d5fb", 2918330},
The game is the GOG version, but I patched it. A fan made italian patch is available in order to translate the game into italian, and so it is now.

About the gaming, I see the main character often yawns (he's supposed to do this when inactive for quite a long time, is he?), he can't turn off the alarm (quite disturbing, yeah) and cannot walk upstairs.
Maybe there is something more than the original game... I can't tell ATM. I'm sure your engine requires much less CPU power: the original executable (I run it with wine) always keeps my CPU load over 70% (intel T3400 - it's dual core!) but I attribute this to no-optimized code.

Surprisingly, the game is detected as the demo version. I own both and now scummvm shows two lines with "Sanitarium (Demo/DOS/English)", is this expected?
killcake

Post by killcake »

Just wanted to post my thanks to the developer(s) keeping this project going. It looks like there were commits only a few months ago. I was scared to think that this had been abandoned. Here's looking forward, thank you!
Mim

Post by Mim »

I own GOG version of Sanitarium but unfortunately it is rather unstable and often crashes. I noticed that Steam now offers the game too with some update that "fix crash & save issues". http://store.steampowered.com/app/284050/
Does anybody know if it is based on ScummVM code or is it only some minor tweak? Also - are there plans to include the engine to main ScummVM repository and support this outstanding game?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mim wrote:Does anybody know if it is based on ScummVM code or is it only some minor tweak?
Last time I checked (which admittedly was quite some time ago), Sanitarium was nowhere near playable, so I would be very surprised if it was based on ScummVM.
Mim

Post by Mim »

Good news is that work on this engine continues and it looks that completion is in sight. :)
http://www.alexbevi.com/blog/2015/04/08 ... ine-update
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Awesome news! :shock:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Mim wrote:it looks that completion is in sight. :)
You have a very strange definition of completion.
alexbevi wrote:there’s no way to retrieve/use items once collected
alexbevi wrote:Encounters load, but you can’t interact with keywords yet.
Mim

Post by Mim »

clone2727 wrote:
Mim wrote:it looks that completion is in sight. :)
You have a very strange definition of completion.
alexbevi "maybe 2015 will be the year we get this engine finalized ..."

After many years of waiting it seems to me very promising. :wink:
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

That's great news, I stopped asking about the game, didn't wanna go nagging, but never losing hope about it being supported some day.