Adventure fans ready your credit limits....

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jimbob0i0

Adventure fans ready your credit limits....

Post by jimbob0i0 »

GoG has a wonderful promo starting today...

25% off of all adventure games.

Thought you'd like to know ;)

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/Pro ... on_GOG_com
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

It isn't actually all the adventure games. (Although they make it sound like it is!) It is The Feeble Files, Waxworks and In Cold Blood.

Im considering getting The Feeble Files, as it is only £3.
jimbob0i0

Post by jimbob0i0 »

Doh re-read it and you are right... just the three...

But two of those are supported by scummvm at least - and the feeble files they have there is the full 4CD version instead of the 2CD at the adventuresoft site....
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I just downloaded The Feeble Files from GOG. For some reason there are no *.smk files like are listed in the Data Files ScummVM wiki page. ScummVM still detects it though.

It would be good if the Data Files page on the wiki could have the GOG versions of games added too as, as well as the above difference, audio files are included as *.OGGs, there are *.DXA video files, and there is a STARTUP.WAV included which is not mentioned on the wiki.

There is also a 0091.fst that I dont know if I need and a cofiguration file called "feeble" too.

EDIT: It just froze when I went into the bar, so I must have something wrong!
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

The startup.wav is not needed. I have the original 4cd release, and it appears when the game is installed.

the game is locking up because you don't have the movie files. I havent seen the GoG release, but they may be compressed in a larger file. is there a file present that is huge and not mentioned by the wiki at all? if so, thats your movie files all bound up.

are there any other files missing, such as save.999 or GAME22?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

scoriae wrote:The startup.wav is not needed. I have the original 4cd release, and it appears when the game is installed.

the game is locking up because you don't have the movie files. I havent seen the GoG release, but they may be compressed in a larger file. is there a file present that is huge and not mentioned by the wiki at all? if so, thats your movie files all bound up.

are there any other files missing, such as save.999 or GAME22?
I have many *.dxa files, which I gathered were the movie files.

I also have a 0091.SLW as well which I just noticed.

I have all the required files appart from the *.SMK ones. If they are the video files though then the *.dxa ones are just compressed versions.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

Support for smk movie files was added only recently in ScummVM, Prior to that it needed to be reencoded into dxa (for video) and ogg (for sound). Therefore you are right: dxa+ogg files are a replacement for the smk movie files.

I have no idea what could cause your freeze. The version available on GoG is using ScummVM to run on modern Windows, therefore I suppose it should work fine even if you use a different version of ScummVM than the one available in the GoG download (provided it is recent enough).

By the way, I have also updated the Data Files page on the wiki. Thanks for your report.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

criezy wrote:Support for smk movie files was added only recently in ScummVM, Prior to that it needed to be reencoded into dxa (for video) and ogg (for sound). Therefore you are right: dxa+ogg files are a replacement for the smk movie files.

I have no idea what could cause your freeze. The version available on GoG is using ScummVM to run on modern Windows, therefore I suppose it should work fine even if you use a different version of ScummVM than the one available in the GoG download (provided it is recent enough).

By the way, I have also updated the Data Files page on the wiki. Thanks for your report.
Thanks! I deleted all the files from the folder, and copied them across from the GOG directory to it again using the amended datafiles list. I can now get into the bar without any problems. (Though im not sure what the problem was before.)

Also another game seems to have been added to this promotion: Runaway: The Road Adventure. I hope this adventure gaming week ends with them adding Monkey Island 1 & 2. (After all they are some of the most requested GoG games, 5th and 6th place in fact) I really want those games! :( You can vote for them to be added here if you are interested too: http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/
Jorpho

Post by Jorpho »

Graxer wrote:I hope this adventure gaming week ends with them adding Monkey Island 1 & 2. (After all they are some of the most requested GoG games, 5th and 6th place in fact) I really want those games! :( You can vote for them to be added here if you are interested too: http://www.gog.com/en/wishlist/
But they don't have any other Lucasarts games right now. And why would Lucasarts want to detract from the sales of the upcoming remake?
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

uhm, this topic is a month old, and MI SE has been announced in the meantime:P
misslilo

Post by misslilo »

Also, now GOG offers the Tex Murphy series.. how much better can it be :)