Leisure Suit Larry help.

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sarmasarma6

Leisure Suit Larry help.

Post by sarmasarma6 »

First of all i would like to apologize if this topic doesn't belong here, but i'd like some help with this. I've found really cheap Leisure Suit Larry 7 German CD and bought it as an addition to my collection. So my question is: Is it possible to change the language of the voice or just the text in the game to English? Can this be done by some patch or not at all? Thanks for reading.
raina

Post by raina »

The voice files are probably occupying most of the game disc and my best guess is that those are available in German only on yours. That being said, there's no way there'd exist a patch to change the language, not with the average Internet connection speeds of the '90s.
Collector

Post by Collector »

You normally can set language to English in the RESOURCE.CFG with language=1, but this does no good if the needed file(s) are missing. As was said, there are probably no English speech file on your CD.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

I also have an LSL question but before I ask there are things that I think I should get out of the way: I know SCI games are not supported as the engine is a work in progress; I know that WIP engines are unstable and buggy; and I make my own builds and know all about configure options.

In other words, my eyes are wide open about the issues here and I feel the need to say so up front because the question I'm about to ask could easily be interpreted (legitimately, I think) as indicating that I'm a clueless idiot. I am, in fact, only an idiot.

OK, so here finally is the question: is it even possible given the current state of the SCI engine to make a stab at playing LSL 6 & 7?

I ask because while the other LSL games run for me (in the sense that a three-legged dog runs), 6 & 7 just return me to the launcher when I try. I don't get any useful error messages. My feeling is that things are just not far enough along for 6 & 7 but I'm wondering if anyone has actually got either to even start, even if they crash to the desktop soon after. If so, did you do anything other than simply copy all the game files to a folder (which works just fine for me with the earlier LSL games)?
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

LSL6(CD) and LSL7 are post-SCI1.1 games. Only SCI0 games (EGA with parser), SCI0.1 (QFG2, KQ1Remake, and probably all the EGA versions of the SCI1.0 games out there) and SCI1.0 games (VGA games with black and white cursours and no speech) are half-supported. Nothing further works. SCI1.1 games, for instance, don't even start let alone SCI32 (Super VGA graphics like SQ6, LSL7, and KQ7), LSCI, or whatever other versions there are. SCI1.1 games are the VGA games with coloured cursours and speech (with the exception of KQ5CD which has coloured cursours and speech but is actually an SCI1.0 game).

So short answer, no. Not even startable.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The plan is to support all SCI games eventually (i.e. SCI0, SCI01, SCI1, SCI11 and SCI32). There's no ETA on when this will happen, though... LSL6 and LSL7 are both SCI32, for which there's no code yet. SCI32 is different from its predecessors. So... there's nothing else to do than wait...
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

to wait..., or to get involved, as it's still an option, isn't it ? :)
MusicallyInspired

The CD version of LSL6 is SCI32. The disk version is SCI1.1.
raina

Post by raina »

Now, which ever will happen first: LSL6CD and LSL7 are re-released OR they are supported in ScummVM? We shall wait and see. Oh, the anticipation! :roll:
filipetolhuizen

Post by filipetolhuizen »

I ask because while the other LSL games run for me (in the sense that a three-legged dog runs), 6 & 7 just return me to the launcher when I try. I don't get any useful error messages. My feeling is that things are just not far enough along for 6 & 7 but I'm wondering if anyone has actually got either to even start, even if they crash to the desktop soon after. If so, did you do anything other than simply copy all the game files to a folder (which works just fine for me with the earlier LSL games)?
Larry 7 Windows 3.1 exe works under newer versions of Windows, the win95 exe doesn't.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

raina wrote:Now, which ever will happen first: LSL6CD and LSL7 are re-released OR they are supported in ScummVM? We shall wait and see. Oh, the anticipation! :roll:
Hey, if you are impatient there is always Dosbox.
All Larry games seem to fully work.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

LSL7 works fine on XP for me. not even one issue, no speed problems no crashes. very stable.

What SCI engine is KQ6? and the windows version of KQ6?
MusicallyInspired

KQ6 is SCI1.1. The Windows version is the same I guess. But a completely different SCI interpreter.
raina

Post by raina »

bobdevis wrote:Hey, if you are impatient there is always Dosbox.
All Larry games seem to fully work.
Well, DOSBox or no, I still can't play right now. I traded my copy of LSL7 for Woodruff and Hand of Fate about 10 years ago and I never owned LSL6. You can imagine how much the fairly recent, incomplete Sierra collections annoy me.
Mataku

Post by Mataku »

MusicallyInspired wrote:KQ6 is SCI1.1. The Windows version is the same I guess. But a completely different SCI interpreter.
The reason i'm asking is because the latest KQ collection forced you to use DosBox (I think they removed the windows installation exe) and thus, pretty much disabled the windows version of the game, which is superior to the dos version, with better lipsynch and close ups and better resolution for the inventory and stuff. So I'm hoping that if and when ScummVM will support it, it will support the windows version as well.