Status of SCI games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

filipetolhuizen

Status of SCI games

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Hi,
What is the current compatibility of SCI games? By now I know it's not the same as the last version of freesci, but there's nothing mentioned in the SCUMMVM compatibility page.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

It won't be on the compatibility page until the engine is part of a stable release of ScummVM.

Although I don't have any interest in the sci games I do find the development of the engine interesting. Is there a blog around on the development of the sci engine?
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

The latest SVN build seems to have lost EcoQuest compatability, Space Quest IV's was lost a few days ago and Space Quest I VGA now only gives me a debugging screen.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

That's the definition of daily builds : use them at your own risk ! As the engine is not stable, some fundamental modifications may result in an unusable engine for some days. There are 2 possibilities : Either you accept the unstable status and keep testing the daily builds, or you just wait for the next stable release (most likely, 0.14.0). In both cases... Be patient ;)
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Strangerke wrote:That's the definition of daily builds : use them at your own risk ! As the engine is not stable, some fundamental modifications may result in an unusable engine for some days. There are 2 possibilities : Either you accept the unstable status and keep testing the daily builds, or you just wait for the next stable release (most likely, 0.14.0). In both cases... Be patient ;)
Ok, I just wasnt sure if it was a bug caused by something else that hadn't been picked up on yet. I think I'll keep testing the daily builds, I quite enjoy testing out my SCI games every now and again to see what has changed.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

Well, Most SCI0 games work perfectly of the ones I've tried (except Codename: Iceman, which is sadly impossible to complete due to walkmap errors early in the game :( ). Haven't tried any of the later version SCI games, though it would be nice for them to be supported as their performance in Dosbox leaves something to be desired.

Either way, development on it seems to be going quite well.
Last edited by KuroShiro on Mon May 04, 2009 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I think the regressions are because they are still converting & rewriting some of the freesci code into ScummVM friendly code also known as C++.

Although I'm not a programmer and I'm not involved with it so I might be wrong.
Mud

Post by Mud »

ezekiel000 wrote:It won't be on the compatibility page until the engine is part of a stable release of ScummVM.
"This is the compatibility of the current WIP SVN version, not of a stable release (Please see one of the following for the Compatibility charts of the stable releases: 0.13.1 0.13.0 0.12.0 0.11.1 0.11.0 0.10.0 0.9.1)."

:p
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Mud wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:It won't be on the compatibility page until the engine is part of a stable release of ScummVM.
"This is the compatibility of the current WIP SVN version, not of a stable release (Please see one of the following for the Compatibility charts of the stable releases: 0.13.1 0.13.0 0.12.0 0.11.1 0.11.0 0.10.0 0.9.1)."

Yes, so since there isn't any mention in the compatibility page, SCI games are not supported. Quite clear :)
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

There was some code restructuring, SCI games should at least start now (albeit still incomplete and buggy)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Mud wrote:

Ah I missed that, never mind.
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

Just in case it is of interest to anyone EcoQuest 1 is now completable with the latest SVN build. (I just finished it)
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

Graxer wrote:Just in case it is of interest to anyone EcoQuest 1 is now completable with the latest SVN build. (I just finished it)
Really? That's great news!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

There are other SCI games which are completable (they had been from FreeSCI), but the engine still needs a lot of work...
HelixNRG

Post by HelixNRG »

Given that there's a lot more work to do on SCI1 games and newer, Will SCUMMVM v0.14.0 include support for all the older SCI0 games?

- Alex