Status of SCI games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

There is no harm, I just wanted to point out that you may not get answers, or inaccurate one, and that while you may satisfy your own curiosity, you should not get the false impression that we ask for play testing, and in particular, reports on it.
yeah yeah

Post by yeah yeah »

of course...just rather have some discussion than no discussion. so no complaints on my end.

...just can't wait to play some ol' Sierra games on the iPhone.
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Fingolfin didn't say (like he needs me to speak for him) there was any harm; he's saying--from a dev perspective--that it's too soon for play testing.

My own personal but hopefully positive contribution to the subject at this point is this: If you haven't already, create a SourceForge account and then you can submit as-detailed-as-possible bug reports (but only after carefully making sure one hasn't already been for whatever it is you think you've found).
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Do you think that the fanmade Gabriel Knight 2 subtitle patch will work with ScummVM when the game is playable?

I really dislike to play games without subtitles.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Freddo wrote:Do you think that the fanmade Gabriel Knight 2 subtitle patch will work with ScummVM when the game is playable?

I really dislike to play games without subtitles.
It probably will, yes, once the game is playable. We support external patches, like the original interpreter
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

Speech doesn't work currently in 'Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist'.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

fischkopf wrote:Speech doesn't work currently in 'Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist'.
Works for me. At least for the beginning of the game.
Mim

Post by Mim »

fischkopf wrote:Speech doesn't work currently in 'Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist'.
Try to set extra path to game audio folder (edit game - Paths - Extra Path).
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Whilst I hesitate to comment on SCI as it's still in development Mim is correct.
Or just copy all the files from the AUDIO folder into the FREDDY folder. Basically just make sure every file is in one folder.
I say I hesitate to comment as whilst this works on the build I have, which is a few days old, the way development goes it might not work like this on the build you have or the latest build.

I'm glad I was reminded that Freddy is a SCI game. I've been reading "The Modern Day Book of Hygiene and Health" whilst I tested the game.
"Acne was once thought to be a bad eruption of yellow bile"..."we know now it to be caused by foreign foods" :lol:
Zipdot

Post by Zipdot »

fingolfin wrote:Folks, I know you mean well, and

We'll post an official announcement once we are looking for active testers.
Hello, just to be sure, does this include games that are listed on the 1.1.0 playtesting page with a status of N/A (like KQIV) or just the unlisted games (like KQVI) for which support is being developed in the SVN builds?

Thanks,
Zipdot
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Zipdot wrote:Hello, just to be sure, does this include games that are listed on the 1.1.0 playtesting page with a status of N/A (like KQIV) or just the unlisted games (like KQVI) for which support is being developed in the SVN builds?
The King's Quest IV listed there is the AGI version, not the SCI version. The testing for SCI games would just include the SCI ones. The AGI ones can be played now (and tested now for 1.1.0 too :)).
Zipdot

Post by Zipdot »

clone2727 wrote:
Zipdot wrote:Hello, just to be sure, does this include games that are listed on the 1.1.0 playtesting page with a status of N/A (like KQIV) or just the unlisted games (like KQVI) for which support is being developed in the SVN builds?
The King's Quest IV listed there is the AGI version, not the SCI version. The testing for SCI games would just include the SCI ones. The AGI ones can be played now (and tested now for 1.1.0 too :)).
Oh, I see, I didn't realize that KQIV had two different interpreter versions. Thanks.
burnout

Post by burnout »

I just updated to the latest SVN. My previous build was about 3 months old. It used to be that Hoyle 1 and 2 worked, but with graphical problems (cards would disappear). Now they both crash at startup. Other SCI0 and SCI1 games still work fine. I didn't notice any mention of Hoyle issues on the wiki, so I figured you may be interested.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

If you take a look here you will notice that none of the mentioned games have even once been "finished",
so the work on them is still in development hence bug report would be moot

At least that is how i understand it with the SCI engine
burnout

Post by burnout »

I investigated it further and it turns out it's the graphics type auto-detection (autoDetectGfxFunctionsType) that is now broken for Hoyle 1+2. There is probably something different about the "Rm" object in those games. If I force _gfxFunctionsType to SCI_VERSION_0_LATE in the debugger, it launches fine. Hope that helps.