Status of SCI games

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
User avatar
lazylazyjoe
Posts: 131
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:14 pm

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I compile w/ vc2008 and it doesn't need to be stripped at all. It's extremely easy too. Download vc2008 from Microsoft site (free). D/l source and uncompress. Then load up the project fie (in /dist/msvc9 )and compile. Although I think the thread's drifting off topic...
bsauvage
Posts: 76
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:44 am

Post by bsauvage »

Hello. I installed the trunk latest versions both on PC and iphone to play around with SCI games. Been trying a few (Laura Bow 2, Space Quest 1 remake, SQ IV & V, King's Quest IV & V...). On PC they start ok and intro finishes and I can start playing (albeit with bugs). On iphone however, first the game is run in portrait mode (with keyboard below), and doesn't change even if I rotate the iphone. Then, the iphone freezes right at the very beginning when the Sierra logo appears (the logo withthe 'mountain'). By freeze I mean I can only do a force reboot (holding Home + OFF button together).
On the PC I don't see this behaviour. Is the iphone implementation of SCI not at the same advancement as the PC, or is it specific iphone bug that needs to be ironed out ?

Sorry if my explanation is not very clear.
KuroShiro
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Miyazaki, Japan

Post by KuroShiro »

bsauvage wrote:Hello. I installed the trunk latest versions both on PC and iphone to play around with SCI games. Been trying a few (Laura Bow 2, Space Quest 1 remake, SQ IV & V, King's Quest IV & V...). On PC they start ok and intro finishes and I can start playing (albeit with bugs). On iphone however, first the game is run in portrait mode (with keyboard below), and doesn't change even if I rotate the iphone. Then, the iphone freezes right at the very beginning when the Sierra logo appears (the logo withthe 'mountain'). By freeze I mean I can only do a force reboot (holding Home + OFF button together).
On the PC I don't see this behaviour. Is the iphone implementation of SCI not at the same advancement as the PC, or is it specific iphone bug that needs to be ironed out ?

Sorry if my explanation is not very clear.
As has been mentioned, SCI isn't really supported yet. There are bound to be lots of bugs, particularly in ports.
arablizzard2413
Posts: 21
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:39 am

Post by arablizzard2413 »

I got a bunch of missing message errors through the entire lower levels of the catacombs on the cd KQ6, but you can kill the minotaur and then the game hangs when he falls in the pit (well animations still play but it won't advance).

Nice work, there have been a lot of bugs getting fixed lately 8)
filipetolhuizen
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 am

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Larry 3 crashes whenever I try to do anything but walk.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

filipetolhuizen wrote:Larry 3 crashes whenever I try to do anything but walk.
That's odd, it works fine here. Perhaps you could try the latest daily version?
filipetolhuizen
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 am

Post by filipetolhuizen »

md5 wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:Larry 3 crashes whenever I try to do anything but walk.
That's odd, it works fine here. Perhaps you could try the latest daily version?
Tried it, now it doesn't even run complaining that a file could not be found.
User avatar
md5
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 2250
Joined: Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:31 pm
Location: Athens, Greece

Post by md5 »

filipetolhuizen wrote:
md5 wrote:
filipetolhuizen wrote:Larry 3 crashes whenever I try to do anything but walk.
That's odd, it works fine here. Perhaps you could try the latest daily version?
Tried it, now it doesn't even run complaining that a file could not be found.
Which file?
filipetolhuizen
Posts: 85
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:18 am

Post by filipetolhuizen »

Something like text.169
User avatar
Raziel
ScummVM Porter
Posts: 1306
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:27 am
Location: a dying planet

Post by Raziel »

Recopy your data files and try again

Works fine here
MapleSyrup
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:39 pm

Post by MapleSyrup »

I don't get any music in any of the SCI games I've tried both with my mingw32 build of SVN and with the mingw32 from buildbot. I use the Amiga versions. The console says Warning: [SFX] Sound disabled!

I used to be able to hear the music when I tried SCI in ScummVM back in February.
l3l3l5l
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Post by l3l3l5l »

Didn't know that Al Lowe is giving avay some of his games.
Last edited by l3l3l5l on Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
KuroShiro
Posts: 468
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Miyazaki, Japan

Post by KuroShiro »

l3l3l5l wrote:Didn't know that Al Lowe is giving avay some of his games: http://www.allowe.com/More/download.htm
Except sadly Al Lowe doesn't own the rights to those games, so he has no actual legal right to distribute them, and hence posting links to it violates forum rule #0. Sorry.
Collector
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:58 pm
Contact:

Post by Collector »

Besides, he does not have any SCI games on his site, so this has nothing to do with this thread.
l3l3l5l
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:22 pm

Post by l3l3l5l »

Whatever. Keep them coming.
Post Reply