how can i play my oldschool p.c titles on a mac with osx

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

dash

how can i play my oldschool p.c titles on a mac with osx

Post by dash »

hi, does anyone know of a good p.c emulator which will work on mac o.s.x so i can play the likes of monkey island, syndicate, space quest etc on it?

cheers
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

for monkey island, use scummvm. for general old dos games, try dosbox.
soniq

Post by soniq »

for dos games in general try boxer. its a dosbox frontend and extremely easy to use. self-explanatory, nothing to configure, everything works just fine.

http://boxerapp.com/

it creates seperate packages of your games with everything you need to play (install-data, disk images, etc) inside, so you basicly run old dos games like every other application on osx.

and you don't need to install dosbox seperatly, everything is included in the boxer installer.
dash

Post by dash »

cheers guys!
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

Also, if it's an old Windows (95/98/ME) game and you have an Intel Mac, then Wine is potentially an option.
chelyha

Post by chelyha »

the one game I'd like to play is The 7th Guest. I have a mac running Leopard and I have no idea what is meant by "copy files", DosBox, etc. Can you help? Thanks!

Cheryl
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

chelyha wrote:the one game I'd like to play is The 7th Guest. I have a mac running Leopard and I have no idea what is meant by "copy files", DosBox, etc. Can you help? Thanks!

Cheryl
Specific instructions for The 7th Guest are here
If you don't understand what "coping a file" means you should get someone to show it to you in person. I'm a bit at a loss on how to explain that.
chelyha

Post by chelyha »

I think this stuff is beyond my skill level. I rely on my Mac for far too much to risk blowing it up trying to play an old game! :? But thanks for the info anyway!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

lol. I hardly think copying a file or running ScummVM or DosBOX is going to blow up your mac in any sort of way, but if you manage to do it somehow, I sure would like a wallpapersized photo:D
chelyha

Post by chelyha »

Jonatan wrote:lol. I hardly think copying a file or running ScummVM or DosBOX is going to blow up your mac in any sort of way, but if you manage to do it somehow, I sure would like a wallpapersized photo:D
Perhaps I should rephrase that. I don't want to "lock up" my Mac so I can't use it! :lol:
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Well, I can assure you, tat is not going to happen either, in any way:)

Copying the files means making a folder on your hard drive and copying the datafiles from the games cd to that folder, then making mp3's of the audio tracks on the same cd with something like iTunes, placing them in the same directory, installing scummvm and telling it tor run the game from that folder by pressing a few buttons.

nothing is changed or modified on your mac, and nothing like a machine lock-up would occur:)
chelyha

Post by chelyha »

Jonatan wrote:Well, I can assure you, tat is not going to happen either, in any way:)

Copying the files means making a folder on your hard drive and copying the datafiles from the games cd to that folder, then making mp3's of the audio tracks on the same cd with something like iTunes, placing them in the same directory, installing scummvm and telling it tor run the game from that folder by pressing a few buttons.

nothing is changed or modified on your mac, and nothing like a machine lock-up would occur:)
Oh, ok, now it sounds like something I might actually be able to figure out. Thanks!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

no prob. feel free to ask if you have any questions.