Game Demos required

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

LunaVorax

Post by LunaVorax »

Darn, too bad no one downloaded it earlier. I'll be able to reupload it only in a week or so, sorry folks.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Is anyone able to access FileLibrary.com at the moment? According to some random google searching and some Google Cached pages it was online as recently as last month but I'm unable to get into it right now.

It apparently houses a "playfate.zip" and I wanted to see if it's the "v73" version that I mentioned before - the date beside the filename seems to match the datestamps on the v73 files after all.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

Oh, and on another matter does anyone have the Zork Anthology CD atm and therefore is able to provide/upload the Return To Zork demo from it? Somebody mentioned that it was an interactive demo rather than the common rolling preview.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

LunaVorax wrote:Here is a copy of a CD containing the Dutch, English, French, German and Italian demos of the following games :

(titles in French, sorry, I don't know their correct translations)
- Pyjama Sam: Héros du Goûter (Heros of the snack time ?)
- Marine Malice: Le mystère de Ranch aux Cochons (Freddi Fish: The mystery of the Pig Ranch ?)
- Pouce-Pouce: Voyage dans le temps (Putt-Putt: Travels in time)
- Spy Fox: Opération "Robot-Expo"
These are actually the mini games, there were included on a CD with Kelloggs cereal. So I'm not sure whether they could be safely redistributed.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Kirben wrote:These are actually the mini games, there were included on a CD with Kelloggs cereal. So I'm not sure whether they could be safely redistributed.
Why wouldn't they be able to safely be redistributed? If they're mini-games, they're definitely still demos.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

clone2727 wrote:
Kirben wrote:These are actually the mini games, there were included on a CD with Kelloggs cereal. So I'm not sure whether they could be safely redistributed.
Why wouldn't they be able to safely be redistributed? If they're mini-games, they're definitely still demos.
I don't about the CD you're discussing, but I have one of the Kellogg's CDs. Both of the SCUMM games on that one (Putt-Putt Travels Through Time and Freddi Fish: The Case of the Hogfish Rustlers of Briny Gulch) include a copyright.TXT file saying that they may not be distributed in any way without written permission from Humongous Entertainment.

It is rather strange, because they're clearly demo versions even if they never actually call themselves that. In fact, the title screen may very well be the only visible difference compared to the normal demo versions. The text on the CD says "MINI GAMES - NOT FOR SALE - NOT TO BE SOLD SEPARATELY, ONLY DISTRIBUTED WITH KELLOGG'S BRANDED CEREALS PACK".
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i guess it was part of the agreement with kellogs.
LunaVorax

Post by LunaVorax »

My Playtoon 1 CD got repaired, so I was able to extract two demos from it.
You can download them here.

[Non-Scumm] And for thoses who likes demos of old games, here a super bonus bunch o' stuff for you.
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Post by Strangerke »

You found HE demos on a Playtoons CD? Are you sure ?
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

@ LunaVorax
That file upload site should come with a user guide!

Instructions.
Near the bottom are the (small) words 'Save file to your PC:' and next to those 'click here' which is the link to the file itself.
LunaVorax

Post by LunaVorax »

Strangerke wrote:You found HE demos on a Playtoons CD? Are you sure ?
It's a CD from an old magazine with the complete Playtoon 1 and a bunch o' demos.
Strangerke wrote:That file upload site should come with a user guide!
Sorry, I'm very used to Mediafire, but it wasn't working so I picked up another site randomly. Thanks for the informations.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

I managed to "fix" the police quest 2 demo.
The current one had a broken resource.001 file.
In this file, views {4,6,7,10,13,14,15} were corrupt.
I dumped the appropriate views from the real game to the game folder and now the demo works fine.
From the size of the views and their context in the demo I noticed that all but one (view.010) of the views match exactly to the the real game.
View #10 was apparently made just for this demo and is probably showing Bonds walking with his pistol by his side. I replaced this view with view #0 which shows bonds walking w/o a pistol. The view is used in the last scene in the demo where Bonds & Bains walk toward each other. The scene looks fine with view #0 as well so it's not so bad. I guess a recreated view could be drawn by hand.
The fixed demo can be found here:
http://hotfile.com/dl/63607950/adcdc46/pq2-dos-ni-demo-en.zip.html
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Nice work! Too bad we didn't have that original view...or at least couldn't recreate it if we knew exactly what it looked like.
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

Yeah, it's a shame. They're 1755 bytes of compressed bitmap that is lost for good (or until someone finds another copy).
OmerMor
Got a warning

Post by OmerMor »

I managed to reconstruct PQ2's resource.001 file.
Now it's a valid sci0 resource file, and there's no need for external view patches.
The fully working demo can be found here: http://hotfile.com/dl/64439791/8c333e5/pq2-dos-ni-demo-en.fixed.zip.html

I believe that because all the views that I had to reconstruct, were originally in the demo (as evident by their number and their compressed size), there should be no copyright issues with my work.