Is there a SCUMM editing/making studio-like program?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

marzipan

Is there a SCUMM editing/making studio-like program?

Post by marzipan »

I've noticed how easy it must be for someone to code their own AGI or SCI adventure (or examine existing titles' rooms, pics and scripts out of interest) by using programs like AGI Studio and SCI Studio. But has there ever been any similar effort on the SCUMM front?

Googling around seems to find some sort of editing tools about, but they're hardly friendly to use at all.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

Well, since the SVN releases of ScummVM can run some AGI games now, your could try to use AGI Studio to make something runnable in ScummVM.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

There is a Scumm engine adventure creating utility out there with an example game. But I'm not sure how great it is. I think it's called ScummC or Scumm Compiler or something. I don't think it can edit existing game scripts, though (SCI can't either, actually).
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

there isn't anything resembling a studio for actual scumm games. the only available software that can make scumm games is scummc, which is a bunch of seperate tools that aren't massively user-friendly as yet.

there are other studio-type packages available for making scumm-like games, but not for actual scumm.
seubz

There's also...

Post by seubz »

Hi,

There's also a project I'm working on called ScummGEN (http://scummgen.googlecode.com) which has unfortunately no release yet.

The project is in a very good shape though, as a lot of features have already been implemented (check out the wiki news updates for some more information). I'm starting to work on editors and I plan to have a final product very similar to AGS.

Seubz
MusicallyInspired

Nice! I'll be looking forward to that. Is it based on ScummC?
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I don't think it can edit existing game scripts, though (SCI can't either, actually).
The guy who did SCI Studio originally planned on releasing a decompiler program for scripts, but ultimately never went ahead with it which - googling around - seemed to annoy many people. There's another studio-like tool called SCI Companion but that doesn't have a decompiler either.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

marzipan wrote:The guy who did SCI Studio originally planned on releasing a decompiler program for scripts, but ultimately never went ahead with it which - googling around - seemed to annoy many people. There's another studio-like tool called SCI Companion but that doesn't have a decompiler either.
Well, one of the GSOC projects this year is to create a generic bytecode decompiler. This is initially intended to decompile SCUMM scripts, but one of the subgoals is to then also extend it to support decompiling at least a second game/series scripts. Maybe SCI will be chosen. :)

Even if not, someone else could implement support for SCI scripts in it at a later date, presuming it gets completed as planned.
seubz

Post by seubz »

Nice! I'll be looking forward to that. Is it based on ScummC?
Nope, it's an entirely original project, nothing in common with ScummC, except maybe similar syntax for the some of the script features.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with too seubz 8)
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

dreammaster wrote:Well, one of the GSOC projects this year is to create a generic bytecode decompiler. This is initially intended to decompile SCUMM scripts, but one of the subgoals is to then also extend it to support decompiling at least a second game/series scripts. Maybe SCI will be chosen. :)
The current plan is to support SCUMM v6+ and KYRA scripts in the GSoC time line.
MusicallyInspired

marzipan wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:I don't think it can edit existing game scripts, though (SCI can't either, actually).
The guy who did SCI Studio originally planned on releasing a decompiler program for scripts, but ultimately never went ahead with it which - googling around - seemed to annoy many people. There's another studio-like tool called SCI Companion but that doesn't have a decompiler either.
No, but it does have a script disassembler. Which is a step further but doesn't really help for people who don't understand assembly language.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

MusicallyInspired wrote:
marzipan wrote:
No, but it does have a script disassembler. Which is a step further but doesn't really help for people who don't understand assembly language.
Like me, hah. I looked at the disassembler tool but it wasn't helpful at all.

Interestingly, AGI Studio can decompile scripts by the looks of it.
MusicallyInspired

Yes it can. AGI isn't that complicated I guess.
g99k

Post by g99k »

IMHO, if you really want to benefit open source gaming, you maybe shouldn't use an open source engine as the first step, but provide some free content instead: Make a gripping prototype game in AGS and open source it with all graphics and resources, to allow other people to reimplement the game for one of the many free engines with no games.

Currently, there are almost no free-as-speech AGS adventure games. It should be manageable to fill that gap: http://www.americangirlscouts.org/w/ind ... urce_Games

If you try to hack together an entirely new game for a user-unfriendly engine without any proper development tools, chances are that you'll get stuck halfway. Then your abandoned game would lay dead on some website, acting as a beacon warning people not to use the engine you wanted to support... ;)

Search Sourceforge for adventure games and you'll see what I mean. :)