LucasArts wants YOUR opinion!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

db92
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:31 am
Contact:

Post by db92 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:11 pm

its not true. i recently mailed them about that issue (too bad i removed the mail) and they said that they wouldnt ever abandon it due to the fact that it was the thing that made them known in the first place (talking about mm and mi). ive also seen reports on sites that a monkey island 5 is gonna come, simply not very soon.

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3315
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:25 pm

db92 wrote:its not true. i recently mailed them about that issue (too bad i removed the mail) and they said that they wouldnt ever abandon it due to the fact that it was the thing that made them known in the first place (talking about mm and mi). ive also seen reports on sites that a monkey island 5 is gonna come, simply not very soon.
A Norwegian newspaper asked them earlier this year, and at least then they claimed there were no Monkey Island games in development, or planned for the immediate future. Apparently there are still Monkey Island fans working there, though.

rocky8311
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:55 am
Location: Texas

Post by rocky8311 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:47 am

I think it would be a bad idea for them to break back into Adventure games by releasing a SEQUEL. I think it's just been too long and we have to admit that we are a niche market.

If they break back in, it is my opinion that they need to start a new franchise, or perhaps REDO the original Maniac Mansion. That could be potentially glorious. :idea:

User avatar
Adventureguy
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:09 pm
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Post by Adventureguy » Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:54 pm

rocky8311 wrote:I think it would be a bad idea for them to break back into Adventure games by releasing a SEQUEL. I think it's just been too long and we have to admit that we are a niche market.

If they break back in, it is my opinion that they need to start a new franchise, or perhaps REDO the original Maniac Mansion. That could be potentially glorious. :idea:
Well, I don't think that the adventure genre is such a niche market in video games, there are still newly produced adventures sold today, like Ankh, Broken Sword 4 and others.
Even some older adventures are sold again today, e.g. the new Sierra games compilations of King's Quest, Space Quest, etc. And Broken Sword 1+2 for example is still sold online and even in local shops! (At least where I live.)
I agree, I don't think it's a good idea if LEC would make new adventures after such a long break (nearly 6 years since MI4). Those would be only mediocre games like most of their Star Wars games imho :roll: . What they could (and SHOULD) do is re-releasing their classic adventure games like Vivendi did with the Sierra compilations. I think it wouldn't cost too much to do this, they could make a compilation DVD with all 12 SCUMM-games and ScummVM as emulator. That's the least thing they can do for the adventure game genre!
And about redoing Maniac Mansion: Why should they do it? It was redone a few years ago as a fanremake called Maniac Mansion Deluxe which is freeware. Why should anyone need another remake? Besides, I think LEC wouldn't even think of remaking such an old game if it hasn't anything to do with Star Wars. :x :roll:

User avatar
clone2727
Retired
Posts: 1592
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 8:23 pm
Location: NJ, USA

Post by clone2727 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 2:11 am

Adventureguy wrote:What they could (and SHOULD) do is re-releasing their classic adventure games like Vivendi did with the Sierra compilations. I think it wouldn't cost too much to do this, they could make a compilation DVD with all 12 SCUMM-games and ScummVM as emulator. That's the least thing they can do for the adventure game genre!
And about redoing Maniac Mansion: Why should they do it? It was redone a few years ago as a fanremake called Maniac Mansion Deluxe which is freeware. Why should anyone need another remake? Besides, I think LEC wouldn't even think of remaking such an old game if it hasn't anything to do with Star Wars. :x :roll:
All I can say is brilliant!

rocky8311
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:55 am
Location: Texas

Post by rocky8311 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:01 am

Adventureguy wrote:And about redoing Maniac Mansion: Why should they do it? It was redone a few years ago as a fanremake called Maniac Mansion Deluxe which is freeware. Why should anyone need another remake? Besides, I think LEC wouldn't even think of remaking such an old game if it hasn't anything to do with Star Wars. :x :roll:
When I said "redo" Maniac Mansion, I mean I think they should change some things. Maniac Mansion is like rolling off a log if you've won it once...I think it would be fun if they did a 25th anniversary edition with every version of it and perhaps a revamped version. It would be wrong to make the gas for the chainsaw available, but it might be nice if Jeff and Dave had distinct abilities and if Razor and Syd were somehow distinct from eachother as well. And perhaps adding "Look at" descriptions to things...and maybe the "out of order" staircase could be fixable? It wouldn't be the same game if too much was changed though.

I don't think of Deluxe as a very good remake. It has errors and kind of makes the tone a bit too cartoony for me with the Day of the Tentacle fonts and whatnot. And it totally ticked me off that you have to OPEN the paint remover AND use the paintbrush. I stopped picking up the paintbrush a long time ago and I had to take a trip back downstairs to the studio just for that haha

Post Reply