LucasArts wants YOUR opinion!

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

MetaFox wrote:
cappuchok wrote:I'd really like to see more in-house productions from LucasArts again - if for nothing else then for the great in-jokes.
The problem with that is that most of the people from the golden age of LucasArts have left the company.
About the "most" - does just one of the veterans still work there?[/b]
f0ma

Post by f0ma »

dreammaster wrote:Blasphemy! There's no selection for Sam & Max! :lol:
Lucas Arts sold licens of Sam&Max to TellTale Games.

http://www.telltalegames.com/sam_and_max
clem

Post by clem »

but would that prevent them from offering it as an option in the poll? afterall they made a Samnmax game

clem
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

clem wrote:
but would that prevent them from offering it as an option in the poll? afterall they made a Samnmax game

clem
Maybe it's because they think about making Adventures again, and sold licenses makes it impossible for
them to resurrect the series!?
clem

Post by clem »

Maybe it's because they think about making Adventures again, and sold licenses makes it impossible for
I doubt it; with their current lineup of starwars games they have characters and the background story - juts plug that into some cheap 3D engine and you got your next cash cow.

Adventure games need more work, a background story, character design, graphics, riddles... much more time involved and hence more costs... and I doubt that any adventure game will bring enough money for them to make it worth the risk.

clem
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

clem wrote:
I doubt it; with their current lineup of starwars games they have characters and the background story - juts plug that into some cheap 3D engine and you got your next cash cow.

Adventure games need more work, a background story, character design, graphics, riddles... much more time involved and hence more costs... and I doubt that any adventure game will bring enough money for them to make it worth the risk.

clem
I'm afraid that A) you assessment of the situation is largely correct and B) it doesn't exactly speak well of the intelligence and commitment of neither LEC's intended audience nor LEC management. They've really gone downhill over the last decade.

If anyone needs me I'll be over here playing Day of the Tentacle.
ScummMan

Post by ScummMan »

f0ma wrote:
dreammaster wrote:Blasphemy! There's no selection for Sam & Max! :lol:
LucasArts did not sell the Sam & Max license to Telltale Games. The license expired and reverted back to Steve Purcell. Steve Purcell gave Telltale permission to design follow-ups to the series.

In this day and age, do you really think LucasArts would sell anything other than Star Wars?
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

ScummMan wrote:In this day and age, do you really think LucasArts would sell anything other than Star Wars?
Just wait a couple of years and see them flood the market with crappy halfhearted attempts at Indiana Jones action games. No joke. Wish that it was. :(

In fact, the planned Indiana Jones movie (which will likely not follow the plot of "Atlantis") may prove to be the best reason ever for LucasArts to return to point-and-click adventure games (in the "Last Crusade" and "Atlantis" era the action games apparently didn't sell at all compared to the adventure games). However, somehow I doubt that they'll take the chance, given their current management's lack of willingness to release anything but pre-chewed formula crap with a Star Wars theme.

LEC management for dummies:
1. Hire newbie programmers.
2. Create spiffy-looking but unstable and unoptimized game.
3. Apply Star Wars theme.
4. Direct marketing at young fans who are completely unaware of the original trilogy (not the "Special Edition" crap) and who won't care about the "unstable and sluggish" part because they'll just get their parents to buy the latest greatest monster rig to make that one game work smoothly. Backwards compatibility - whazzat?
5. ???
6. Profit!
MasterGrazzt

Post by MasterGrazzt »

Rage of the Wookies. Hahahaha...ha.

I think that LucasArts might have something left to surprise us with. Then again, they may have gone the way of Origin under EA where it's a good thing they're not making anymore original games or continuations of their famous series.
cappuchok

Post by cappuchok »

MasterGrazzt wrote:I think that LucasArts might have something left to surprise us with. Then again, they may have gone the way of Origin under EA where it's a good thing they're not making anymore original games or continuations of their famous series.
I hope you're right about LEC having something up their sleeves. I'd personally hope for two games to be released within the not too distant future: a new Indy adventure game and Monkey Island 5 (the first would be an excellent way of returning to the adventure market, Indy being one of the most "adventure-y" franchises out there, and Monkey Island 5, well, just for the sake of completeness and because it is implied in EMI).

As for Origin, I'm not even aware of whether or not they exist as a team anymore.
MasterGrazzt

Post by MasterGrazzt »

At this point, Origin is pretty much the department of EA that maintains Ultima Online.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

Anyone think that lucasarts will do, sometimes, make a continuation of one of its classic themes (like guybrush and the pirates or indy or the loom weavers) in any kind, but in a exiting and absorbing conversion?
I mean a adventure game with an epic story.
Big Bottom

Post by Big Bottom »

crazy_achmed wrote:Anyone think that lucasarts will do, sometimes, make a continuation of one of its classic themes (like guybrush and the pirates or indy or the loom weavers) in any kind, but in a exiting and absorbing conversion?
I mean a adventure game with an epic story.
Well since Lucasarts have pulled the plug on the last two adventure sequels they had in development (Full Throttle 2 and Sam & Max 2) I think all we can expect out of them in the future is Star Wars games. I mean look at their frontpage. 6 out of 7 of the games advertised there are Star Wars tie-ins and the other one is a shooter.

I suppose a sequel to the Monkey Islands is the most likely chance we have of another Lucasarts adventure, but it would almost certainly be a console/PC game with as much action as puzzleness.
crazy_achmed

Post by crazy_achmed »

yes, its very sad.
Is it just me who thinks that pc games are much better in the past?
With better i mean more exiting and absorbing.
Big Bottom

Post by Big Bottom »

crazy_achmed wrote:yes, its very sad.
Is it just me who thinks that pc games are much better in the past?
With better i mean more exiting and absorbing.
I like today's games, but so much emphasis is on slick graphics and movie-like production values that something is missing now. 10 years ago designers had to build their games on substance instead of the latest effects and it's made a difference that in order to succeed your game has to look amazing so it can sell x number of copies. Of course one of my favourite games, Ultima 7, looked amazing in it's day and still had a great story with lots of depth, so who knows whether things are better or worse than they used to be.