ScummVM's Future?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Crimsonskies

ScummVM's Future?

Post by Crimsonskies »

Everytime you guys release an update you add support for all these games I never hear about but end up liking a lot. So I was wondering, what's ScummVM's game lineup going to be like in the future? I don't mean games that are going to be 100% compatible in the very next update but I mean games you've been thinking about getting around to eventually.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: ScummVM's Future?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Unless it's on the Engines page of the ScummVM Wiki, or someone's blogging about it, it's likely to come as much as a surprise to most developers as to our users. (Though sometimes someone will mention on the forum that he's thinking of looking into game so-and-so.)
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Thanks eriktorbjorn that first link was exactly what I was looking for. :D

The games on that list look great, keep up the excellent work guys!
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Crimsonskies wrote:Everytime you guys release an update you add support for all these games I never hear about but end up liking a lot.
Wow, getting every supported game must cost you a lot of money.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Freddo wrote:
Crimsonskies wrote:Everytime you guys release an update you add support for all these games I never hear about but end up liking a lot.
Wow, getting every supported game must cost you a lot of money.
Not really, I don't get EVERY supported game (I wish) but the ones I'm able to find on ebay or elsewhere aren't that much since they're older games. A lot of the games ScummVM supports are abandonware too.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Crimsonskies wrote:Not really, I don't get EVERY supported game (I wish) but the ones I'm able to find on ebay or elsewhere aren't that much since they're older games. A lot of the games ScummVM supports are abandonware too.
Whilst it's great that ScummVM a lot of of 'little known' games it's a shame that many are simply not legally available. As there's no such legal thing as abandonware you're simply pirating said releases if you've downloaded anything from non official sources.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Reckless wrote:
Crimsonskies wrote:Not really, I don't get EVERY supported game (I wish) but the ones I'm able to find on ebay or elsewhere aren't that much since they're older games. A lot of the games ScummVM supports are abandonware too.
Whilst it's great that ScummVM a lot of of 'little known' games it's a shame that many are simply not legally available. As there's no such legal thing as abandonware you're simply pirating said releases if you've downloaded anything from non official sources.
You'd be surprised how many are legally available if you look hard enough. And no, I haven't pirated anything.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Yes, you have. Forum rule #0.

There is no such thing as abandonwarez. Only warez.

The only freeware titles for ScummVM are available from scummvm.org itself.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

Jonatan wrote:Yes, you have. Forum rule #0.

There is no such thing as abandonwarez. Only warez.

The only freeware titles for ScummVM are available from scummvm.org itself.
Those were the ones I meant. I assumed both words meant the same thing, guess not.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Those games have been freewared by their original publishers. Abandon warez sites distribute around 10% freewared software and 90% still copyrighted material. Therefore, we do not allow or support it here.
Crimsonskies

Post by Crimsonskies »

So just to clear it up for me, since we're somehow on the subject anyway, what does "abandonware" mean and what does "freeware" mean, because I always thought the games on this site were referred to as "abandonware". Probably because it sounds like the game has been abandoned by the publisher.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Crimsonskies wrote:So just to clear it up for me, since we're somehow on the subject anyway, what does "abandonware" mean and what does "freeware" mean, because I always thought the games on this site were referred to as "abandonware". Probably because it sounds like the game has been abandoned by the publisher.
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Copyright_FAQ
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Crimsonskies wrote:So just to clear it up for me, since we're somehow on the subject anyway, what does "abandonware" mean and what does "freeware" mean, because I always thought the games on this site were referred to as "abandonware". Probably because it sounds like the game has been abandoned by the publisher.
Quite the opposite actually. These publishers have seen the potential in ScummVM and released their old games for free public use.