Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ezekiel000

Debian/Ubuntu Residual Build

Post by ezekiel000 »

I've compiled and packed Residual for Ubuntu (should also work fine on Debian) and tested it on Ubuntu 8.04.
http://rapidshare.com/files/140038201/r ... 6.deb.html
My ~/.residualrc file looks like this and it works fine:
[residual]
versioninfo=0.0.6svn

[grim]
joystick=TRUE
music_volume=127
text_speed=7
path=/home/[username]/Games/Residual/GrimFandango
soft_renderer=FALSE
gl_zbuffer=TRUE
movement=Character
gamma=1.0
show_fps=TRUE
engine_speed=30
speech_mode=3
fullscreen=FALSE
sfx_volume=127
game_devel_mode=TRUE
savepath=/home/[username]/.residual

Because you can't save at the moment it's just interesting to see how their work is progressing.
Tawnka

Post by Tawnka »

I know Residual isn't complete or anything but I can't even get it to open. I downloaded it and I soon as I open it will open then automatically close. Any suggestions? Also I put Grim Fandango on my hard-Drive (both discs) and Scumm can't find the games to where I direct it to. Not sure why it can't find them.

Thank you for any help/suggestions!
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

The first time you open residual it creates the ~/.residualrc file and closes. So you can then add the directory of where you have copied the cd contents on the hard drive then save ~/.residualrc and restart residual and it should run this time.

If it still doesn't run then I don't know I've never had any problems also I'm not sure were the ~/.residualrc file is stored in windows so I can't help you there.
Rasi

Post by Rasi »

Tawnka wrote:I know Residual isn't complete or anything but I can't even get it to open. I downloaded it and I soon as I open it will open then automatically close. Any suggestions?
Do what ezekiel000 said.. you need to edit the .residualrc file
Also I put Grim Fandango on my hard-Drive (both discs) and Scumm can't find the games to where I direct it to. Not sure why it can't find them.

Thank you for any help/suggestions!
You dont start grim through scummvm... you start the residual program directly
Tawnka

Post by Tawnka »

ezekiel000 wrote:The first time you open residual it creates the ~/.residualrc file and closes. So you can then add the directory of where you have copied the cd contents on the hard drive then save ~/.residualrc and restart residual and it should run this time.

If it still doesn't run then I don't know I've never had any problems also I'm not sure were the ~/.residualrc file is stored in windows so I can't help you there.
I have never done anything with emulators til I got ScummVM. I am pretty clue-less on a lot of the processes. So for Residual I open it and it will close so I can add the directory. I can't add the directory to Residual the entire thing closes each time. So I can't add where I copied the cd contents on my HD to save. I guess I'm a bit confused. I'm sorry.
clem

Post by clem »

Tawnka wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:The first time you open residual it creates the ~/.residualrc file and closes. So you can then add the directory of where you have copied the cd contents on the hard drive then save ~/.residualrc and restart residual and it should run this time.

I have never done anything with emulators til I got ScummVM. I am pretty clue-less on a lot of the processes. So for Residual I open it and it will close so I can add the directory. I can't add the directory to Residual the entire thing closes each time. So I can't add where I copied the cd contents on my HD to save. I guess I'm a bit confused. I'm sorry.
Residual is extremely unfinished - there's no fancy ScummVM-like GUI yet; saving the games doesn't work correctly and you can't play through all of the game.

Have you tried running residual from the commandline? In that case it should display an error message why it doesn't start.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Residual 0.0.6svn (Sep 6 2008 23:30:45) for Ubuntu 8.04:
http://rapidshare.de/files/40412178/res ... 6.deb.html

Changes:
- Fix to allow compiling on MSVC7.x (Not applicable to this version)
- OpenGL tweak.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Residual 0.0.6svn (Sep 10 2008 18:31:23) for Ubuntu 8.04:
http://rapidshare.de/files/40442240/res ... 6.deb.html

Ubuntu will tell you it's an older version than the last but it's not, I'm not sure why it thinks it is.

Changes:
- Cleaning of code.
- Many in the engine section.

Edit: I have done a newer build but it has bug that means it doesn't play the intro video and so I'm guessing it won't play any other video. So no point in uploading it, I'll add an updated deb as soon as this is fixed.
lionlegs

Post by lionlegs »

So how far can people get in Grim before it crashes?

A few weeks ago I couldn't even get to the land of the living because of persistent crashing when either going up the main elevator or walking into the side alley by the travel agency building (depending on the order I did the puzzles). Now using the latest nightly build I can reach the petrified forest before it crashes. I don't know whether that's because of a recent change in the code, or a change in my computer.

Running OSX Leopard on 1st gen Macbook.

At least this repeated playing is letting me catch every line of dialogue :)
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Residual 0.0.6svn (Sep 28 2008 22:07:03)
Features compiled in: Vorbis zLib
----------------------------------------
Game ID--------------Full Title
grim-------------------Grim Fandango
grimdemo-------------Grim Fandango Demo

http://rapidshare.com/files/149472328/r ... 6.deb.html
I've changed the package version number to the revision number rather than the date it was compiled so Ubuntu will tell you it is a downgrade even though its not.

Edit: Sorry it seems that the video's not playing and the game starting in the wrong area seems to have been due to a problem with my settings file and not with the current changes to Residual.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Residual 0.0.6svn (Oct 4 2008 23:18:28)
Features compiled in: Vorbis zLib
----------------------------------------
Game ID--------------Full Title
grim-------------------Grim Fandango
grimdemo-------------Grim Fandango Demo

Residual 0.0.6svn (rev34745) for Ubuntu/Debian Linux:
http://rapidshare.com/files/150977208/r ... 6.deb.html

I've not set it to open in full screen by default and I compiled it without debug information which makes the download smaller. I'm guessing the debug information isn't needed at the moment, not until Residual is ready for open bug testing.
aquadran
ScummVM Developer

Post by aquadran »

Today I added Debian and Ubuntu packages for recent SVN tree: http://www.scummvm.org/subprojects.php
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Thank you, I can now stop compiling it myself and wondering if I have packed it right :D
questionmarkman

Post by questionmarkman »

so I've got residual and GrimX. I open GrimX and select disc 1 and click play game but nothing happens, (I can only select the disc, I can't explore it or anything on my mac).
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Reading the documentation might be a good place to start?
You have to copy the necessary files to hard drive, but GF is not finishable in Residual by far in any case.