Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gringo

Post by Gringo »

Yes, after we got IDA licenses, the work on it has got a new boost.

now that's good news!

I'll keep checking back then

Cheers
Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

Hey, that sounds great!
Grim Fandango does work on my computer but I'm looking forward how the Residual project will develop. Who knows, maybe I could play GF on my PDA one day. :D
Good luck with the project!
Zetetic

Notes from a Mac user

Post by Zetetic »

I'm intending to try have a go with Residual and Grim Fandango (when I have it with me...).

Just like to note that I couldn't get Residual SVN sources to compile by just commenting out the line suggested but had to also add:

Code: Select all

LIBS += -framework Cocoa -framework OpenGL -framework GLUT -framework Foundation -lstdc++
Which makes a lot more sense to me anyway. It's plausible that you don't need to add in the Cocoa and Foundation libraries (but I haven't checked and I don't know). And I've no idea what the listdc++ option does. But anyway, it works to obtain the constants that it wants.

I'll report back to see if it actually creates a program that runs Grim Fandango... ;)
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Is there any word on how Residual does with Monkey Island 4: Escape Form Monkey Island? Unlike the rest of the series, this title was written for the GrimE engine instead of the Scumm engine.

Just trying to get a little confirmation before I go out and buy it :) I'd *love* to be able to run this on my mac. I'm working on finishing 3 now, and I know I'm going to go nuts wanting to play the sequel!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

TomFrost wrote:I'd *love* to be able to run this on my mac. I'm working on finishing 3 now, and I know I'm going to go nuts wanting to play the sequel!
Didn't LucasArts release a Macintosh version of this game?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

eriktorbjorn wrote:
TomFrost wrote:I'd *love* to be able to run this on my mac. I'm working on finishing 3 now, and I know I'm going to go nuts wanting to play the sequel!
Yes, but unfortunately only for pre-OS X Macintosh. You can run it on a current mac by switching into "Classic" mode, but not only does this toll your machine and put you into a clunky interface, it requires you to actually have the old Mac OS9 installed on your computer -- an entire OS just for running a game!
MacReactor Review wrote:Unfortunately, the game only runs reliably under Mac OS 9, and plans for Mac OS X compatibility have been scrapped.
So I'm hoping for Residual support :) That would make the whole process much easier.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

TomFrost wrote:it requires you to actually have the old Mac OS9 installed on your computer -- an entire OS just for running a game!
It's not that bad. The compatibility is almost 100%. And, don't complain -- Windows' compatibility is *much* worse.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

TomFrost wrote:
eriktorbjorn wrote:
Yes, but unfortunately only for pre-OS X Macintosh. You can run it on a current mac by switching into "Classic" mode, but not only does this toll your machine and put you into a clunky interface, it requires you to actually have the old Mac OS9 installed on your computer -- an entire OS just for running a game!
and then it doesn't work properly under OS X, the animation sequences don't play back correctly ... all you get is a black screen. I believe it's a known issue with the Mac OS version and Aspyr have no desire whatsoever to fix it!
TomFrost wrote:
MacReactor Review wrote:Unfortunately, the game only runs reliably under Mac OS 9, and plans for Mac OS X compatibility have been scrapped.
So I'm hoping for Residual support :) That would make the whole process much easier.
TBH, you're not really missing much!!! Escape from Monkey Island isn't all that wonderful ...
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Jimbob wrote:TBH, you're not really missing much!!! Escape from Monkey Island isn't all that wonderful ...
*nods*
MI4 was a major letdown :( Can't think of a single thing I liked about it, whereas I have very fond memories of the other 3
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

aw, that's a shame. I know the original team was let go and a new team took on MI4, but I was really hoping they'd do it justice.

Sounds like Lucas Arts did the same thing to the MI series that Sierra/Vivendi did when they released King's Quest 8 and Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude!

Drat.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

TomFrost wrote:Sounds like Lucas Arts did the same thing to the MI series that Sierra/Vivendi did when they released King's Quest 8 and Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude!
No, not at all. MI4 may not be the best MI part but it's still a pretty good adventure and worth playing. There's much worse out there. While KQ8 and Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude aren't even real adventures anymore MI4 still is one. I think it's mainly the 3D-style that put many people off.
delimew

Post by delimew »

may be rather off-topic, but i just wanted to ask if there is anyway to play EMI on mac OS X. i have the mac version, but whenever i try running it with classic, it comes up with an error saying "Escape From Monkey Island requires a PowerPC processor running at 0 MHz or faster" (which i have)

help?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

delimew wrote:may be rather off-topic, but i just wanted to ask if there is anyway to play EMI on mac OS X. i have the mac version, but whenever i try running it with classic, it comes up with an error saying "Escape From Monkey Island requires a PowerPC processor running at 0 MHz or faster" (which i have)

help?
It seems to run here fine but I did patch it twice (I think) - iBook G3. Go here to get the patches. What computer are you trying it on? It's not a new Intel machine is it?
delimew

Post by delimew »

no, not Intel. just a powerPC G5 tower. and as far as i know classic works fine. i've run other things with it no probs.

still, big thanks for the patches. i'll try them out just as soon as i remember where i put my MI4 CDs (>.>)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

delimew wrote:no, not Intel. just a powerPC G5 tower. and as far as i know classic works fine. i've run other things with it no probs.
This may be the problem ... not sure if G5 chips even existed when Escape was released ...
delimew wrote:still, big thanks for the patches. i'll try them out just as soon as i remember where i put my MI4 CDs (>.>)
Yeah, I'm going to dig mine out now for a quick go to see if it is as bad as I remember it ....