Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Soul Monkey

Post by Soul Monkey »

Yes X11 is installed.

How do I run residual from the terminal prompt? When I go to the folder where the file is and enter residual I get

Code: Select all

-bash: residual: command not found
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

First cd into the directory with the residual executable and then type ./residual
Soul Monkey

Post by Soul Monkey »

The Grim Fandango Window pops up and disappears again. No error message, i'm just back at the commando prompt. There was also no other terminal window opened.
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Soul Monkey wrote:The Grim Fandango Window pops up and disappears again. No error message, i'm just back at the commando prompt. There was also no other terminal window opened.
If the tab/spaces before the good_times line are also present in your config file, that would explain it existing without error. This line bypasses Grims copy protection, Residual will just exit without it. It must have no spaces before it for it to be recognised properly.

[Edit: Running residual as follows: "./residual -debug=ALL" from a terminal will give you some error messages. Anything about being unable to handle startup conditions means the GoodTimes line is the problem.]
Soul Monkey

Post by Soul Monkey »

YES! Thanks after deleting the space before the good_times line the game works!

In the terminal window I get the following errors while watching the intro

WARNING: No parent to apply colormap object on.
WARNING: No parent to apply colormap object on.
lua: (null)
Active Stack:
        `error' tag method at line 2352 [in file Scripts\_system.lua]
lua: API error - attempt to push a NOOBJECT
Active Stack:
        `error' tag method at line 2358 [in file Scripts\_system.lua]
lua: exit(1). Unable to recover
Will try "./residual -debug=ALL" now.

Thanks to both of you! :D

./residual -debug=ALL

just seem to produce lots of text like

Function GetActorPos&#40;<actor "Manny">&#41; called
Function GetActorPos&#40;<actor "/motx107/computer">&#41; called
Function GetActorPos&#40;<actor "/motx071/memo">&#41; called
Function GetActorPos&#40;<actor "/motx101/card">&#41; called
Function GetActorPos&#40;<actor "/motx090/books">&#41; called
Function IsMessageGoing&#40;<actor "Manny">&#41; called
tygerbug

Post by tygerbug »

Can someone post a download for a compiled Mac version of Residual?

Even if it's not ready/working yet, I would love to have a look at Grim Fandango, which I have but never got to play. =(
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well I checked out the latest revision from the Subversion system and compiled it on my iBook. It crashes almost immediately with no debug messages displayed either, so at the moment I think something might be broken for OS X. Of course my build system could be incorrect somewhere. I'll try again sometime.
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

Jimbob wrote:Well I checked out the latest revision from the Subversion system and compiled it on my iBook. It crashes almost immediately with no debug messages displayed either, so at the moment I think something might be broken for OS X. Of course my build system could be incorrect somewhere. I'll try again sometime.
No debug messages, even with the "./residual -debug=ALL" syntax?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Ender wrote:
Jimbob wrote:Well I checked out the latest revision from the Subversion system and compiled it on my iBook. It crashes almost immediately with no debug messages displayed either, so at the moment I think something might be broken for OS X. Of course my build system could be incorrect somewhere. I'll try again sometime.
No debug messages, even with the "./residual -debug=ALL" syntax?
No, nothing at all. All I get is a Bus Error I think and the SDL Parachute thingy ... I'll check tonight for the correct error message. I should probably mention I don't have the full Grim Fandango game, I'm trying to see if the demo works ... this may be the problem of course.

Edit: This is the output to the terminal

Debug level set to&#58; ALL
WARNING&#58; Timer skipped forward
WARNING&#58; Timer skipped forward
Fatal signal&#58; Bus Error &#40;SDL Parachute Deployed&#41;
MadOmen

Post by MadOmen »

Does anyone have a projected date for when Residual GrimE will be complete and working?

I haven't the foggiest about building to Mac or similar, so I'm left with an unusuable copy of Grim Fandango, unless I can find a copy of Win 98.
clem

Post by clem »

MadOmen wrote:Does anyone have a projected date for when Residual GrimE will be complete and working?

I haven't the foggiest about building to Mac or similar, so I'm left with an unusuable copy of Grim Fandango, unless I can find a copy of Win 98.
"when it's ready" - Residual is more or less a side-effect of ScummVM; don't count on a finished product anytime soon (we're talking years here)
MadOmen

Post by MadOmen »

Not even a functional version a la SCUMM? Surely it won't take that long to iron out the bugs to make it capable of running the game properly? I'm just under the impression that it's a little way from being fully functioning, minor glitches not withstanding.
Ender
Retired

Post by Ender »

That would require someone to be working on Residual more often. Residual is very much a quarter-third-part-time project, it's worked on very slowly.

And don't underestimate the amount of work it can take to fix one 'small' bug (and fixing one 'small' bug can often create 100 new small bugs, if it isn't done carefully :)

Feel free to submit patches to help improve functionality, there is a TODO list on the Wiki!
Settis

Post by Settis »

Excuse me, but the link for residualwin32.exe doesn't work... are there any mirror? THANKS!!!
kuir

Post by kuir »

Hi there !

I'm also on a Mac, and I would love to try residual. I read this whole thread, tried to do it myself, but I couldn't compile it. So it would be great if someone could send it to me. Please PM ! Thanks a lot. It will be wonderful to tryout Grim Fandango on my Mac ! (I have 10.4.6 and English Grim Fandango)

Thanks again !