Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

definger

Post by definger »

hi there

pls help me, i downloaded Grim X 0.3 and everything´s fine but I chose a wrong grimdata folder.
now it says that it can´t find a grim.bat file which is ok, but how can i change the folder?
i tried to delete grim x and "installed" it again but it remembered my settings.
i searched noe for 20 minutes but can´t find this ".residualrc config file" so that i can delete it.
where is this file please?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

definger wrote:hi there

pls help me, i downloaded Grim X 0.3 and everything´s fine but I chose a wrong grimdata folder.
now it says that it can´t find a grim.bat file which is ok, but how can i change the folder?
i tried to delete grim x and "installed" it again but it remembered my settings.
i searched noe for 20 minutes but can´t find this ".residualrc config file" so that i can delete it.
Start up Terminal in /Applications/Utilities (Shift-Apple-U) and do

Code: Select all

ls -a
Hopefully you should see .residualrc in the file list, then do

rm .residualrc
or edit it to point to the correct directory (using vi or some other editor).
QC8472

Residual - PSP

Post by QC8472 »

hey there,

I was reading about ScummVM and Residual tonight and I was wondering if any version of Residual was working on the PSP at the moment or is there anyone developping it for this device.
As with many people here, I really like Grim Fandango and would love to be able to get the game on this portable device. :D

Thank you for your time,
QC8472
definger

Post by definger »

Jimbob wrote:
definger wrote:hi there

Start up Terminal in /Applications/Utilities (Shift-Apple-U) and do

ls -a
Hopefully you should see .residualrc in the file list, then do

rm .residualrc
or edit it to point to the correct directory (using vi or some other editor).
thanks, worked perfectly!
GrimTango

Re: Residual - PSP

Post by GrimTango »

QC8472 wrote:hey there,

I was reading about ScummVM and Residual tonight and I was wondering if any version of Residual was working on the PSP at the moment or is there anyone developping it for this device.
As with many people here, I really like Grim Fandango and would love to be able to get the game on this portable device. :D

Thank you for your time,
QC8472
Hi, currently there is no Residual build for PSP available. Residual is a subproject, probably because it only supports Grim Fandango and so is not in active development. However, I'm trying to code a working residual build for PSP.
QC8472

Re: Residual - PSP

Post by QC8472 »

Hi, currently there is no Residual build for PSP available. Residual is a subproject, probably because it only supports Grim Fandango and so is not in active development. However, I'm trying to code a working residual build for PSP.

Wow that would be awsome! I'll be sure to check often Scummvm from now on! ¦¬)
maky22

Post by maky22 »

I was so excited about Grim X, I jumped in without reading about it. I figured I could run it from the original CD, but I quickly learned you could not. Now that I have the proper folder with the right files on my Mac, I always get an error message about the .residualrc file. Only, there is no .residualrc file on my computer (spotlight finds nothing). I have also used AppZapper to delete Grim X, then downloaded it again, but the same thing happens. I figured getting rid of the .plist would make it forget it ever tried to create a .residualrc file. Help me please!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

maky22 wrote:Now that I have the proper folder with the right files on my Mac, I always get an error message about the .residualrc file. Only, there is no .residualrc file on my computer (spotlight finds nothing).
I don't know anything about Grim X, but the Residual README describes the .residualrc file.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

maky22 wrote:I was so excited about Grim X, I jumped in without reading about it. I figured I could run it from the original CD, but I quickly learned you could not. Now that I have the proper folder with the right files on my Mac, I always get an error message about the .residualrc file. Only, there is no .residualrc file on my computer (spotlight finds nothing). I have also used AppZapper to delete Grim X, then downloaded it again, but the same thing happens. I figured getting rid of the .plist would make it forget it ever tried to create a .residualrc file. Help me please!
I'm not sure what to suggest. AFAIK the .residualrc file will not show up in the SpotLight search, it doesn't on my iBook (it's a hidden file). Try doing what I suggested in my post from the 28th May.

I haven't got as clue how to fix it. I'm guessing you do have a .residualrc file from when you tried to run it from the CD, but I could be wrong.

HTH,
maky22

Post by maky22 »

Thank you for the help. Oddly, when I first tried the terminal commands the file was not listed, so I then posted my message. But now, a few days later, the . residualrc was indeed there.

Unfortunately, when I click play (after initially sending it to the correct folder) residual opens and instantly quits. Its very sad. If any one can help, it would be appreciated!
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

maky22 wrote:Thank you for the help. Oddly, when I first tried the terminal commands the file was not listed, so I then posted my message. But now, a few days later, the . residualrc was indeed there.

Unfortunately, when I click play (after initially sending it to the correct folder) residual opens and instantly quits. Its very sad. If any one can help, it would be appreciated!
There should be some sort of message in the Console to say why it crashed (Applications->Utilities->Console ... look in console.log).

BTW, what machine are you running it on?? It shouldn't matter but I'm curious.
empathyx

Need Grim X Help.

Post by empathyx »

I've read all the thread etc.

I'm on macbook pro and getting this:

2007-07-02 01:44:05.742 Grim X[276] grimPath: /Users/Mike/GRIMDATA
2007-07-02 01:44:05.748 Grim X[375] *** NSTask: Task create for path /Users/Mike/Desktop/Grim X.app/Contents/Resources/residual failed: 8, "Exec format error".
Jul 2 01:44:06 michael-christiansons-computer crashdump[376]: Grim X crashed
Jul 2 01:44:06 michael-christiansons-computer crashdump[376]: crash report written to: /Users/Mike/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Grim X.crash.log

I copied the Grimdata folder out of the cd because it wasn't working on there. I have the original discs...any advice? Use Disk B maybe? Please help
delimew

Post by delimew »

i really don't mean to be rude here, but is work on this still happening?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

delimew wrote:i really don't mean to be rude here, but is work on this still happening?
On what? residual or GrimX, or both??
lionlegs

Post by lionlegs »

delimew wrote:i really don't mean to be rude here, but is work on this still happening?
If you do mean Residual, then the latest snapshot available to download on this site is from this morning, and a while ago when I checked the snapshot hadn't been updated for at least a month. I don't know whether they've just automated to snapshot process, or someone's been doing something to it...

Grim X apparently comes with a pre-compiled version of Residual, but since the latest version of Grim X I can find is 0.3 from over a year ago, is the version of Residual it comes bundled with still the latest one?