Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Cptbuck

Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

Post by Cptbuck »

Please, if your a devolper of this, please help and addict/fanboy/hanger-on, i need grim fandango, i've havent been able to play for about a year what with new computers and all. Please get to work on making it work, pretty please with robert frost balloons and giant kitties and a train that travels in 4 minutes as fast as a boat in 4 years PLEASE. Ok, to get back my dignity, GF is probably my favorite game of all time, i'm thrilled at what you guys have done so far and what you've done for the scumm games i think its a big thing for old games to be playable again. But look into doing that for a gamer who never really understood adventure gaming until it's death deal had been signed. (i know, flame war variety statement, yes, i played the longest journey, yes it totally rocked, still a dead genre.) Keep up the good work!
noize

Post by noize »

Angelus3K

Post by Angelus3K »

Grim Fandango works fine for me in XP.
Jade

Post by Jade »

me too
Toto3310

Post by Toto3310 »

Some people have problems with Grim fandango on xp and with Residual you are able to play to Grim on Xp but also on mac linux and other Unix system.
The only thing lazy, it's for the moment you can't load your savegame properly, I hope it will be fix quickly :D
Jan

Post by Jan »

Toto3310 wrote:Some people have problems with Grim fandango on xp and with Residual you are able to play to Grim on Xp but also on mac linux and other Unix system.
The only thing lazy, it's for the moment you can't load your savegame properly, I hope it will be fix quickly :D
How can I get Residual working on Mac OS X? Is there a Mac version of the current build? It would be amazing to play Grim on my Mac mini – even if I can't save. :wink:
Toto3310

Post by Toto3310 »

I don't know if residual will work great on a mac mini but anyway if you wan't to use Residual on mac Os X you have to build the file from the source, look on my post on the junkyard. You should download Fink and SDL with fink before start anything :)
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Jan wrote: How can I get Residual working on Mac OS X? Is there a Mac version of the current build? It would be amazing to play Grim on my Mac mini – even if I can't save. :wink:
I did try building Residual on my iBook but it failed and I gave up. I'll probably try again in the next few days becuase I think I may be able to fix some of the errors I was seeing.

Jimbob
Jan

Post by Jan »

Jimbob wrote:
Jan wrote: How can I get Residual working on Mac OS X? Is there a Mac version of the current build? It would be amazing to play Grim on my Mac mini – even if I can't save. :wink:
I did try building Residual on my iBook but it failed and I gave up. I'll probably try again in the next few days becuase I think I may be able to fix some of the errors I was seeing.

Jimbob
My programming skills are somewhat limited, to be honest, they're like...nonexistent. I don't know how to build an app anyway. Maybe if some very nice person would be so kind to share his/her great build with your noob Mac user from next door...me. :wink:
Jan

Post by Jan »

Toto3310 wrote:I don't know if residual will work great on a mac mini but anyway if you wan't to use Residual on mac Os X you have to build the file from the source, look on my post on the junkyard. You should download Fink and SDL with fink before start anything :)
Is Residual very CPU- and/or GPU-intensive? The usual SCUMM games, including the high-res ones, run smoothly on my Mac mini with 512 MB RAM.

I've also got a 15" PowerBook G4 1.67 GHz with an ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 128 Meg VRAM – good enough for Grim, any experiences?
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Jan wrote: My programming skills are somewhat limited, to be honest, they're like...nonexistent. I don't know how to build an app anyway. Maybe if some very nice person would be so kind to share his/her great build with your noob Mac user from next door...me. :wink:
If I do get something to build I'll send you a PM. It's a bit of a silly thing for me to build because I don't have a copy of Grim Fandango!! I keep looking out for a cheap copy but I haven't found one yet.

Jimbob
Jan

Post by Jan »

Jimbob wrote:
Jan wrote: My programming skills are somewhat limited, to be honest, they're like...nonexistent. I don't know how to build an app anyway. Maybe if some very nice person would be so kind to share his/her great build with your noob Mac user from next door...me. :wink:
If I do get something to build I'll send you a PM. It's a bit of a silly thing for me to build because I don't have a copy of Grim Fandango!! I keep looking out for a cheap copy but I haven't found one yet.

Jimbob
That would make my year! I'll take you to your fave pub the next time I visit the UK and pay for the whole night. Promised. :D

For me it's exactly the other way round: I do own a copy of Grim Fandango for a few months now, bought only with the hope, the ScummVM wizards release an official OS X port of Residual.
Toto3310

Post by Toto3310 »

I can send you ma build of residual but i don't know if it will work on yours computers.
Send me a pm if you wan't try.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Toto3310 wrote:I can send you ma build of residual but i don't know if it will work on yours computers.
Send me a pm if you wan't try.
I can't get it to compile on my computer, so I've given up again!

If your build doesn't work on his computer you may need to change the Makefile slightly ... I don't really know what I'm doing but I think the line Libs='sdl-config --libs' should be changed to Libs='sdl-config --static-libs' .... of course, it may work as it is.

Jimbob
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

try editing the Makefile and follow the instructions. There's a line you need to comment out.