Residual/Grime/GRIM FANDANGO

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Adventureguy

Post by Adventureguy »

clem wrote:
MadOmen wrote:Does anyone have a projected date for when Residual GrimE will be complete and working?

I haven't the foggiest about building to Mac or similar, so I'm left with an unusuable copy of Grim Fandango, unless I can find a copy of Win 98.
"when it's ready" - Residual is more or less a side-effect of ScummVM; don't count on a finished product anytime soon (we're talking years here)
Years? Oh my, that's a pity. And I just bought a copy of Grim Fandango over Ebay recently. Oh well, it runs fine for me on Windows XP. But years... that sounds like a decade to get at least the GrimE LEC running. Maybe if some more people will join the ScummVM-team who know about reengineering a bit, then maybe there will be more progresses in the Residual project. (Not me, I'm just a simple fan with no experiences in programming and that stuff.)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

kuir wrote:Hi there !

I'm also on a Mac, and I would love to try residual. I read this whole thread, tried to do it myself, but I couldn't compile it. So it would be great if someone could send it to me. Please PM ! Thanks a lot. It will be wonderful to tryout Grim Fandango on my Mac ! (I have 10.4.6 and English Grim Fandango)

Thanks again !
I put up a basic Universal Binary at http://worldsmainorganization.org/scummvm

It's a .tar.gz, Stuffit expander should be able to handle it. You may need to use Terminal to run the executable itself, at least to see full debug info and stuff. And you also need to create the configuration file (.residualrc) as explained earlier in this thread.

It's pretty untested, and since Residual itself is still early alpha... your mileage may vary :)
kuir

Post by kuir »

Wowowow !

I've got it to work, thanks a lot !!!!
I've been waiting for years for this to come true, and here it is !

Of course it won't work long and it's easy to freeze, but hey, thanks anyway ! It will be great in a few years ! :wink:
Jan

Post by Jan »

Vinterstum wrote:
kuir wrote:Hi there !

I'm also on a Mac, and I would love to try residual. I read this whole thread, tried to do it myself, but I couldn't compile it. So it would be great if someone could send it to me. Please PM ! Thanks a lot. It will be wonderful to tryout Grim Fandango on my Mac ! (I have 10.4.6 and English Grim Fandango)

Thanks again !
I put up a basic Universal Binary at http://worldsmainorganization.org/scummvm

It's a .tar.gz, Stuffit expander should be able to handle it. You may need to use Terminal to run the executable itself, at least to see full debug info and stuff. And you also need to create the configuration file (.residualrc) as explained earlier in this thread.

It's pretty untested, and since Residual itself is still early alpha... your mileage may vary :)
Wow, thank you very much, Vinterstum, I'm going to try this out now! :D

Update: Grim is working now on my shiny MacBook Pro! Thank you guys, woohoo!
If hope you get some time to implement the save/load-feature anytime soon. :D
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Yeah, this is awesome. I've just found a cheap copy of Grim Fandango in my local game store and it works fine on my iBook G3 (so far!). I need to read the manual to see what I'm supposed to do though. One thing that surprised me is it isn't a point and click game, for some reason I was expecting it to be.
stv

Grim X

Post by stv »

Hi there,

after I got my hands on a retail copy of Grim Fandango today I compiled a recent version of Residual for Mac OS X and wrote a GUI-Wrapper for it. You might want to have a look at it at http://web.mac.com/stefan.reindl/iWeb/DotMac/GrimX.html. The app is (of course) free and comes with the source code so if you're into Cocoa, feel free to play around with it.

Have fun!
stv
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

Note: anyone wanting to use the link needs to delete the trailing period, or else you'll get a 404 Not Found error.
Jimbob

Re: Grim X

Post by Jimbob »

stv wrote:Hi there,

after I got my hands on a retail copy of Grim Fandango today I compiled a recent version of Residual for Mac OS X and wrote a GUI-Wrapper for it. You might want to have a look at it at GrimX. The app is (of course) free and comes with the source code so if you're into Cocoa, feel free to play around with it.

Have fun!
stv
Yeah, I noticed it on macupdate.com. I downloaded it and I'll try it later.

Cheers,
stv

Post by stv »

@ Vinterstum

Thanks for providing a universal binary! I'm curious how you managed to compile one as I run into compiler errors when trying. Building a ppc-version works perfectly, however when I add "-arch i386" to the gcc-arguments building fails.

Would appreciate a hint!
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

stv wrote:@ Vinterstum

Thanks for providing a universal binary! I'm curious how you managed to compile one as I run into compiler errors when trying. Building a ppc-version works perfectly, however when I add "-arch i386" to the gcc-arguments building fails.

Would appreciate a hint!
Well, I compiled the Intel binary on my Macbook, and the PPC binary on my old Mac mini, and then just combined them with lipo :). Crosscompiling on one OS can get more tricky, you need to have both types of binaries of the linked libraries available, for example. I tried to get that working on ScummVM itself at one point, but some of the libraries weren't set up for crosscompiling at that point. Might be easier now, though.
deadpan

Post by deadpan »

I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but residual can work directly from the Grim Fandango discs right?

I only ask because it fails to open and I get this message in the Console:
Cannot open DataDir (/Volumes/GRIM_DISC_A/GRIMDATA/)- check configuration file

when I have the the first disc in the drive. Now, my .residualrc config file reads:
DataDir=/Volumes/GRIM_DISC_A/GRIMDATA
good_times=TRUE

So it should see the data files on the disc. Am I missing something here?

I'm using the Grim X launcher posted earlier in the thread, but others seem to have gotten it working. This is all in OS X 10.3.9.
Jan

Post by Jan »

deadpan wrote:I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but residual can work directly from the Grim Fandango discs right?

I only ask because it fails to open and I get this message in the Console:
Cannot open DataDir (/Volumes/GRIM_DISC_A/GRIMDATA/)- check configuration file

when I have the the first disc in the drive. Now, my .residualrc config file reads:
DataDir=/Volumes/GRIM_DISC_A/GRIMDATA
good_times=TRUE

So it should see the data files on the disc. Am I missing something here?

I'm using the Grim X launcher posted earlier in the thread, but others seem to have gotten it working. This is all in OS X 10.3.9.
You don't even need the CDs. Just make a new folder on your hard drive and put all the .LAB files in it. Call it "Grim" or something. Put it in your applications/games folder. Then you need to edit the .residualrc file in a text editor like "TextWrangler" and save it with "UNIX line breaks", BTW it is a freeware app for OS X. Change the path to DataDir=/Applications/Grim
good_times=TRUE
and double-click Grim X. It should be working now. :)
deadpan

Post by deadpan »

Jan wrote: You don't even need the CDs. Just make a new folder on your hard drive and put all the .LAB files in it. Call it "Grim" or something. Put it in your applications/games folder. Then you need to edit the .residualrc file in a text editor like "TextWrangler" and save it with "UNIX line breaks", BTW it is a freeware app for OS X. Change the path to DataDir=/Applications/Grim
good_times=TRUE
and double-click Grim X. It should be working now. :)
Thanks, it works! It's buggy and a little unstable, but it's all there.

I think there's a lot of potential for Residual, if only for all the Mac and Linux users who never had a chance to play Grim Fandango.
Gringo

Post by Gringo »

Any news on the residual development? :)

Excuse me for being this direct in my first post, I've been anticipating this thing for ages (especially the load-save functions, is there a slight chance of them ever working?)
The app crashes everytime I try to load a savegame

I'm running Grim Fandango on the Grim X app, mac os 10.4.8

Anyway, I'm glad I got to experience these tiny bits of Grim Fandango on my mac, I never thought that possible in the first place

Thanks!
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Gringo wrote:Any news on the residual development? :)
Yes, after we got IDA licenses, the work on it has got a new boost.

Eugene