FreeSCI SCI engine implementation has been merged in

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Reckless

Post by Reckless »

As already stated, that information isn't the most accurate...

FreeSCI did some great work - although their ad-hoc support for the Windows platform was odd at best - supporting a lot of the early games. Let's not be upset/annoyed that [insert favourite game name] will not playable in the short term. Sierra did no favours when they used a '101' different engine versions (certainly looks much worse than Lucasarts' SCUMM). FreeSCI with their policy of 'clean room code' certainly made it much more difficult and I don't know if that is to continue? Fresh blood/ideas/time on the engine in the form of existing ScummVM team members and a ready made environment should speed up certain developments but who new games (albeit an engine version change) will come much later [if at all] I'd imagine.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

rivadolmo

well well

Post by rivadolmo »

I understood that SCI1 vga engine has no tool to develop new games (there's a half abandoned project).
SCI0 has full tools (sci studio) to develop a new game that in the future may run under scummvm...

anyone confirm? :roll:
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

This might help (am I the only one who reads the wiki regularly):
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Development
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/SCI/Fan_Games
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

sure it h
elps !
thanx :wink:
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I'm currently writing a remake of King's Quest II in the SCI0 engine. It runs fine in DOS, but in FreeSCI there are a few glitches when interacting with water as if it's not interpreting the script code exactly as it should. So these errors would be inherent in ScummVM as well unless the problem is solved. It isn't like AGI where the logic files can be decompiled quite easily, SCI script resources can't be decompiled (easily) and therefore the chances of an SCI0 fangame running in FreeSCI/ScummVM are a little lower. It all depends on how well FreeSCI will emulate the SCI engine, which right now isn't perfect.
HelixNRG

Post by HelixNRG »

The news of FreeSCI merging with SCUMMVM makes me incredibly happy! I know that's a repeated sentiment, but sometimes those involved can never be heaped with enough praise! Thank you to all involved - you're all worthy of being labelled genius!

- Alex
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

MusicallyInspired wrote:I'm currently writing a remake of King's Quest II in the SCI0 engine. It runs fine in DOS, but in FreeSCI there are a few glitches when interacting with water as if it's not interpreting the script code exactly as it should. So these errors would be inherent in ScummVM as well unless the problem is solved. It isn't like AGI where the logic files can be decompiled quite easily, SCI script resources can't be decompiled (easily) and therefore the chances of an SCI0 fangame running in FreeSCI/ScummVM are a little lower. It all depends on how well FreeSCI will emulate the SCI engine, which right now isn't perfect.
Which tool are you using to develop it?
MusicallyInspired

SCI Companion. A (superior) off-shoot of SCI Studio.
rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

MusicallyInspired wrote:SCI Companion. A (superior) off-shoot of SCI Studio.
Do you have a link for an home page?

:wink:
rented mule

Post by rented mule »

rivadolmo wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:SCI Companion. A (superior) off-shoot of SCI Studio.
Do you have a link for an home page?

:wink:
http:///www.google.com
MusicallyInspired

rivadolmo

Post by rivadolmo »

Thanx so much !

Do you have a personal web page for your project?
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

rivadolmo wrote:Thanx so much !

Do you have a personal web page for your project?
I know I shouldn't bite but... are you being 'stupid' on purpose? Ever thought of clicking the 'The website of Brandom Blume' image in each of his posts? And/or learn to use a search engine FFS.
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

Please, keep it civil.