Gabriel Knight 2 - English subtitles patch

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

laffer

Post by laffer »

Cool! Glad you got it working! If you decide to play through the entire game, please post any errors you find here :)
theno1katzman

game crashes beginning of ACT2 of opera.

Post by theno1katzman »

I played through up until ACT 2 of the opera scene fine using the latest Gog.com version. I used instructions on the forum over there to get it to work with it. But then the screen goes blank when there is supposed to be a cut-scene to start ACT 2.
IntEmu

Re: Gabriel Knight 2 - English subtitles patch

Post by IntEmu »

laffer wrote:NEW, UPDATED LINK! Fixed a few broken lines and such -
http://www.sendspace.com/file/puaold

Download it, run SETUP.EXE and specify your GK2 folder (and overwrite the files).
Hi, I can't get the subtitles to appear in ScummVM, does this patch work with ScummVM and Gabriel Knight 2 (GK2)? Any help is appreciated.

I installed GK2 for ScummVM by following the ScummVM Datafiles wiki and then manually installed the subtitle patch following the instructions in link below. Then I added 'patchDir = .\SUBPATCH' to RESOURCE.CFG/RESOURCE.WIN.
http://www.gog.com/forum/gabriel_knight ... _subtitles
m_kiewitz
ScummVM Developer

Post by m_kiewitz »

laffer wrote:* only works with the Windows version. Again, if anyone can fix this, it would be awesome!
Is this still an issue?

I can look into it.

BUT was does it even mean exactly? Does the patch not work at all in DOS? Do parts of it not work?
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

IntEmu wrote:Hi, I can't get the subtitles to appear in ScummVM, does this patch work with ScummVM and Gabriel Knight 2 (GK2)? Any help is appreciated.
I'm having problems getting it to work in ScummVM too.

I copied the game files from the discs into a GK2SCUMMVM folder and got it to run. Afterwards I copied all the files from a subtitles install in GK2DOS and overwrote some stuff in GK2SCUMMVM and now it won't work after the opening movie in Chapter 1.

"ERROR: Unittialized read for temp 1 from method::export 10 (room 34, script 11, localCall ffffffff)!"

So much for getting it to work quick and easy, I will try it again but it's 2am here now, so it will happen later.
KainXVIII

Post by KainXVIII »

Freddo wrote:
IntEmu wrote:Hi, I can't get the subtitles to appear in ScummVM, does this patch work with ScummVM and Gabriel Knight 2 (GK2)? Any help is appreciated.
I'm having problems getting it to work in ScummVM too.

I copied the game files from the discs into a GK2SCUMMVM folder and got it to run. Afterwards I copied all the files from a subtitles install in GK2DOS and overwrote some stuff in GK2SCUMMVM and now it won't work after the opening movie in Chapter 1.

"ERROR: Unittialized read for temp 1 from method::export 10 (room 34, script 11, localCall ffffffff)!"

So much for getting it to work quick and easy, I will try it again but it's 2am here now, so it will happen later.
Same error here, seems like that subtitle patch is not working with ScummVM.
Last edited by KainXVIII on Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wesker

Post by Wesker »

Please, if you ever get the version with English subtitles working, then make the Spanish version compatible too. Installers were done to be applied to both the Windows version and the MS-DOS version so it should be no problem to give it official compatibility.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7lhb1z6i ... v2.1%29.7z

https://www.mediafire.com/file/i1maby48 ... v2.1%29.7z

There's also a similar Spanish translation for Phantasmagoria which provides subtitles to that game too, but I don't think that one has an installer available (it uses the not oficially supported here copy & paste files procedure). I'll see if an installer can be created for that one.
GateKeeper

Post by GateKeeper »

I am too hoping that this would be possible somehow. I don't need subs for playing the game so much as I would need them for screenshots.

I don't remember how that fan patch worked exactly, but I think it modified some game files, so it's probably the cause for problems with ScummVM.
Mim

Post by Mim »

I remember that in some development build subtitles with this patch worked. I do not know version when it has changed but the game was not completable at that time.