Simon The Sorcerer CD32 subtitles/text

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mr_Nutz

Simon The Sorcerer CD32 subtitles/text

Post by Mr_Nutz »

Hello there!

I've been playing Simon The Sorcerer (CD32, great OST in module format btw! true Amiguesque pleasure!) but I can NOT find how to enable subtitles for this version of the game! (Yes, I tried the scummvm option for speech AND subtitles with no success).

What's so special with this version of the game? How can I enable subtitles for this game? does it have subtitles at all like my orginal DOS version?

Thanks!
samwise

Post by samwise »

The Simon The Sorcerer PC CD Talkie version had the subtitles removed - the floppy disk version, without speech, had them originally. Perhaps the CD 32 version also had them disabled ...

Sam.
Mr_Nutz

Post by Mr_Nutz »

That's NOT true: I have both original silver discs here (PC CD & AMIGA CD32).

The PC CD version HAS SUBTITLES ENABLED.
The CD32 version has then disabled by default but it includes the file gameamiga wich includes ALL the text in the game, so THERE IS a way to enable them.

Thanks for your response, but I think it's not what I am looking for.
Kirben

Post by Kirben »

Mr_Nutz wrote: The PC CD version HAS SUBTITLES ENABLED.
The English and German PC CD versions of Simon the Sorcerer 1 never offered subtitles, and don't include full subtitles in their data files.
Mr_Nutz wrote:The CD32 version has then disabled by default but it includes the file gameamiga wich includes ALL the text in the game, so THERE IS a way to enable them.
No, the subtitles are split between the 'gameamiga' and 'textxx' files, and the majority of the subtitles aren't included.
Mr_Nutz

Post by Mr_Nutz »

Sorry, I am spanish and our version had subtitles, hence I believed the original english version had them, too!
Ok, ok: my apologies. No subtitles then :D

I love the british accent in Simon, anyway!
ancalimonungol

Post by ancalimonungol »

So could it be possible to merge the subtitles into the PC or CD32 versions of the game?
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

You could try modifying the spanish version, replacing the spanish subtitles to have those from the english floppy version.

I can't assure the viability of such procedure, but I've seen it work with other games (though it's usually the opposite way: spanish subtitles from non-talkie versions into english talkie versions).