Will "Staff of Kings" unlockable be using ScummVM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kelmer

Post by kelmer »

I don't know if that's what you're asking, but FOA was released a few years ago in Spain with the same interpreter (I think) as the re-releases of The Dig and Full Throttle:

You can still find it in some game stores around here.
Charlii

Post by Charlii »

Oh, didn't know that... Haven't seen it anywhere online.

Is there any extra content on that disc? I'm just curious as to why they would distribute it on a dvd.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

kelmer wrote:I don't know if that's what you're asking, but FOA was released a few years ago in Spain with the same interpreter (I think) as the re-releases of The Dig and Full Throttle:
It can't use the same interpreter as The Dig/Full Throttle; the internals are too different. Interesting though.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

Charlii wrote:Oh, didn't know that... Haven't seen it anywhere online.

Is there any extra content on that disc? I'm just curious as to why they would distribute it on a dvd.
As far as I know (haven't bought the game myself) it only includes the game (in its floppy version, not the CD one, which wasn't translated to Spanish) plus the manual on PDF format.

So yes, it is a total waste of space for a CD-ROM (because it's a CD-ROM, and not a DVD, that was a mistake on the cover).
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

clone2727 wrote:
kelmer wrote:I don't know if that's what you're asking, but FOA was released a few years ago in Spain with the same interpreter (I think) as the re-releases of The Dig and Full Throttle:
It can't use the same interpreter as The Dig/Full Throttle; the internals are too different. Interesting though.
But couldn't this interpreter be capable to run all scumm games (as ScummVM does)? Wasn't it used to run the Sam and Max and DOTT re-releases too? I do have the S&M rerelase and indeed the interpreter is, at least, very similar to that of The Dig and Full Throttle.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

kelmer wrote: But couldn't this interpreter be capable to run all scumm games (as ScummVM does)? Wasn't it used to run the Sam and Max and DOTT re-releases too? I do have the S&M rerelase and indeed the interpreter is, at least, very similar to that of The Dig and Full Throttle.
Theoretically, but I wouldn't have gone to that much trouble myself. I would probably just have cut and pasted the updated parts from one of the earlier re-releases into the next one.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

kelmer wrote:
clone2727 wrote:
But couldn't this interpreter be capable to run all scumm games (as ScummVM does)? Wasn't it used to run the Sam and Max and DOTT re-releases too? I do have the S&M rerelase and indeed the interpreter is, at least, very similar to that of The Dig and Full Throttle.
Probably not. Especially with the big differences between v5 and v6.
saulob

Post by saulob »

You can still find it in some game stores around here.
It would be nice if someone could buy/get this version and check what`s "new". Really.

Floppy version? Ouch... not even the talkie one.

Check what version, check how the install works, if it works on XP/Vista...

What`s the price? Bring it to us :)
LogicDeLuxe

Post by LogicDeLuxe »

paul0272 wrote:Was there an action game of Fate of Atlantis?
Shockingly there was. I had successfully repressed it from my memories. What do you know, there was even a C64 version: http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1288
chojin wrote:Do you know whether there is a german talkie as well?
No, but there is a fanmade patch to include German subtitles to the English talkie: http://la-patches.gandimann.de/p_indy4t ... p[quote]My FoA is part of an Adventurer Pack on CD, but there is no monster.sou[/quote]Indeed. Unlike MI2, there isn't even a single sampled sfx in that version.
marzipan

Post by marzipan »

LogicDeLuxe wrote:
paul0272 wrote:Was there an action game of Fate of Atlantis?
Shockingly there was. I had successfully repressed it from my memories. What do you know, there was even a C64 version: http://www.lemon64.com/games/details.php?ID=1288
And if anyone should wish to give it a whirl legitimately, you can always check out the Amiga demo (included on a coverdisk) from this page, or even this one.
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

saulob wrote:What`s the price? Bring it to us :)
It was 15 euro when it was released, but now that it's out-of-print, you'll have to check on the bargain bins and second-hand sections of the stores... it should be around 5 euro.
Robo-X

Post by Robo-X »

I bought Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings for wii. And after unlocking Fate of Atlantis by completing one glory in staff of kings I tried it out. It's actually very cool. It's the english talkie CD version.

The controls takes a while to get used to but after a while it works very good. The sound is like the original game. Very midi like and hearing it over good speakers can be annoying. The graphics on the other hand are slightly better and can be changed between safe/2x/2x antialiased.

Unfortunately FOA is way better than Staff of Kings it came with. I just wish they released more of the old Lucas Arts adventure games. :)

//Rob
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

So it emulates the Adlib soundtrack then as ScummVM does?
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

MusicallyInspired wrote:So it emulates the Adlib soundtrack then as ScummVM does?
It emulates Adlib in some way (there are some gameplay videos with it).
nickbr

Post by nickbr »

This thread made my head explode trying to keep track of all of the interpreter talk, heh.

Has anyone played Staff of Kings? Is it any good?

I was considering picking it up for the novelty of playing Fate of Atlantis with the Wiimote.