The top 10 adventure games of all time?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I tried to pick games that weren't mentioned yet so people might go and try them. Most of them are freeware, too.
The Moment of silence & Dreamfall(my favorites)
Enclosure
The Farm
Reactor 09
Murder in a wheel
Nathan's second chance
5 days a stranger series w/ Trilby's notes
Ben jordan series
Blackwell series
Dracula the Undead (Atari lynx)
MeddlingMonk

Post by MeddlingMonk »

eriktorbjorn wrote:English isn't my native tongue, so I can't really judge the prose that well...Still, both Deadline and The Witness impressed me with the way the human characters were handled.
Then I guess the best way to put it is that the prose of the Witness is a little bit juvenile compared to Hammett, et al. Detective fiction is hard to do well. And this one was one of Infocom's earlier games. They got better. But you're right, the characters were handled well. The victim's daughter in The Witness, for example.

Now, PRISM from AFMV...remember the scene where his 'son' has his 'wife' arrested in the fascist-future simulation? It still affects me. And AMFV is pretty sophisticated with it's layering of fiction within fiction, and with the innermost having repercussions on the outermost and feeding back in. The Witness could have been better as a novel. AMFV could only have worked as it was and would have failed either as a novel or as a graphic adventure (possibly).

And then Infocom had to shoot itself in the foot with that database product. Sheesh.

Maybe ScummVM could next build in a Z interpreter. :wink:
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

MeddlingMonk wrote: Now, PRISM from AFMV...remember the scene where his 'son' has his 'wife' arrested in the fascist-future simulation? It still affects me. And AMFV is pretty sophisticated with it's layering of fiction within fiction, and with the innermost having repercussions on the outermost and feeding back in.
And yet, Steve Meretzky seems to be much better known for games like Leather Goddesses of Phobos and Spellcasting 101: Sorcerers Get All The Girls. There's probably a lesson to be learned there, though I'm not sure it's a very good one. :)
relapse808

Post by relapse808 »

1. Monkey Island 2
2. Fate of Atlantis
3. Day of the Tentacle
4. Kyrandia 2 : Hand of Fate
5. Quest for Glory 4
6. Space Quest 4
7. Sam N Max
8. The Dig
9. Monkey Island 1
10. Curse of Monkey island(how can you people put this game above 2????)
ancalimonungol

Post by ancalimonungol »

relapse808 wrote:10. Curse of Monkey island(how can you people put this game above 2????)
Same reason why you put 2 above 1. Opinion. :)
Harry

Post by Harry »

what about myst and the tomb raider series

or they not classed as adventure?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Myst is a first person point and click adventure and tomb raider (can take a running jump) is a third person action adventure.

Both adventure games but sub genres of the adventure genre.
relapse808 wrote: 10. Curse of Monkey island(how can you people put this game above 2????)
I put it above 2 because I came to point and click adventures late and it was my first, also I like the combination of great gameplay, story and animation.
BeleG

Post by BeleG »

ezekiel000 wrote:Myst is a first person point and click adventure and tomb raider (can take a running jump) is a third person action adventure.

They're not sub-genres, they're completely different genres. I don't know how you english-speakers catalogue genres, but here in Spain we call games like Tomb Raider "3rd person action games".
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Being 1st person does NOT make it a sub-genre.

I agree however that Tomb Raider is in a genre of it's own, what I would call action/adventure. The game style is much more similar to platform games than classic adventuring.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Jonatan wrote:Being 1st person does NOT make it a sub-genre.

I agree however that Tomb Raider is in a genre of it's own, what I would call action/adventure. The game style is much more similar to platform games than classic adventuring.
They are all adventure games and all adventure games can then be sub-divided in to sub-genres or secondary genres.

1st person point and click adventures play quite differently to 3rd person point and click adventures so I would clasify them into different sub/secondary genres.

On the other hand classifying anything is partially opinion.
BeleG wrote:
ezekiel000 wrote:Myst is a first person point and click adventure and tomb raider (can take a running jump) is a third person action adventure.

They're not sub-genres, they're completely different genres. I don't know how you english-speakers catalogue genres, but here in Spain we call games like Tomb Raider "3rd person action games".
Action games generally don't have puzzles or a story that joins together levels. This is my opinion nothing more nothing less.
dreammaster
ScummVM Developer

Post by dreammaster »

ezekiel000 wrote:On the other hand classifying anything is partially opinion.
Tell me about it. I remember a big flame-war some years ago as to whether Betrayal at Krondor could be considered an RPG, simply because it didn't let you create your own characters at the start.

If there's one thing I hope we can agree on, it's that there's no such thing as a definitive classification system. :wink:
BoyWonda

Post by BoyWonda »

Wow. I didn't know some people actually prefer Monkey Island 3 over the two originals... What the hey? To each his own I guess :D Long live Ron Gilbert!
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

In no particular order:

1. Broken Sword 1
2. Broken Sword 2
3. Space Quest 6
4. Eco Quest 1: Search for Cetus
5. Eco Quest 2: Lost Secret of the Rainforest
6. Grim Fandango
7. Island of Dr Brain
8. Broken Sword 2.5 (I know its a fangame, but it's the best fangame i've ever seen!)
9. Space Quest 5
10. Torin's Passage (Though I haven't played it in years, I just remember really enjoying it)
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Graxer wrote:In no particular order:
8. Broken Sword 2.5 (I know its a fangame, but it's the best fangame i've ever seen!)
Well, that reveals that you haven't played Zak McKracken between Time and Space. ;-)
wefergetget

Post by wefergetget »

dude, i registered just so i could respond to this thread.

how is it possible that NO ONE has said a thing about I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream?

have you guys PLAYED THIS?

it has the creepiest premise and intro i think i've ever seen, in any generation of game.

thank god for scummvm.