ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

sev
ScummVM Lead

ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

Post by sev »

You always wondered where to get games supported by ScummVM? Perhaps you were also asking, how I can help the project?

You could find the supported games either on our downloads page, or on our Where to buy games page on our Wiki. For helping the project we have had a PayPal button for some time.

But now you can reach both goals at the same time!

We are pleased to announce the start of an affiliate program with the excellent Good Old Games service, also known as GOG.com. Just click on "Buy Supported Games" link on the top and you will be brought to the site. Register there and buy some games. You will get your game, cheap, fast and legally, and the ScummVM project will get a share of the proceeds.

The main reason behind this is that GOG.com uses ScummVM for several of their offered titles. Currently they offer Broken Sword 2, Simon the Sorcerer 1, Simon the Sorcerer 2, Feeble Files, Waxworks, as well as some of the free games which we offer too. Each release is nicely pre-packaged with ScummVM, is DRM-free, goes for just $5.99, and the most important thing, is completely legal, as those folks chase the original rights holders.

Thus, watch their site, buy the games, and help our project.

PS: We will get the money only if you click on the provided link and register within a short period of time.
Last edited by sev on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisis

Re: ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

Post by chrisis »

sev wrote:PS: We will get the money only if you click on the provided link and register within a short period of time.
That's great! One thing I don't understand though is: Do I have to register a completely new accouunt by clicking the links you provided? Because I would really love to help you, but unfortunately I'm already registered on gog.com.
clem

Post by clem »

(for reference: there used to be a rather critical post by me here, the discussion has since moved on to the development mailing list since the forum is not the proper place for discussing it)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

chrisis wrote:Do I have to register a completely new accouunt by clicking the links you provided? Because I would really love to help you, but unfortunately I'm already registered on gog.com.
Yes, that's correct unfortunately. Only when you register going through the provided link. Then your account is being connected with our affiliation.

Eugene
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

That seems a mad way of managing affiliates! Like chrisis I'm already registered on their site.

Hope you guys net a few $'s :)
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

sev wrote:
chrisis wrote:Do I have to register a completely new accouunt by clicking the links you provided? Because I would really love to help you, but unfortunately I'm already registered on gog.com.
Yes, that's correct unfortunately. Only when you register going through the provided link. Then your account is being connected with our affiliation.
But then, you still only get a percentage from the games that actually use ScummVM, right? Or is it purely a "finding more members" deal?
tikitang

Post by tikitang »

As I own an Apple Mac, I was a little disappointed today when I bought Waxworks and the first two Simon the Sorcerer games - hoping to receive zipped data files that I could then point Scumm VM to - only to discover that they were .exe files, designed to install the games in Windows. :(

I guess I should have done a little bit more homework before purchase!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

From what I hear, zipped versions of ScummVM compatible games are in the works.
bobdevis

Post by bobdevis »

tikitang wrote:As I own an Apple Mac, I was a little disappointed today when I bought Waxworks and the first two Simon the Sorcerer games - hoping to receive zipped data files that I could then point Scumm VM to - only to discover that they were .exe files, designed to install the games in Windows. :(

I guess I should have done a little bit more homework before purchase!
You hopefully only need to do the installation in a Windows environment and then harvest the installed files to use with ScummVM.
If you can borrow a Windows PC you should be good. If not then there are other more complicated solutions involving stuff like this.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

There's a version of wine for Mac:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwine

That might work to run the installer to be able to get the data files.
tikitang

Post by tikitang »

I found a solution by downloading a programm called Crossover by CodeWeavers, that allows you to install Windows programmes on OSX. Huzzah!
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Which is the commercial version of Wine for MacOSX
Exolon

Post by Exolon »

ezekiel000 wrote:Which is the commercial version of Wine for MacOSX
... and worth every penny
Lafazar

Post by Lafazar »

Unfortunately I noticed this affiliate program far too late, I am already registered at GOG.com.

So i wanted to at least donate by Paypal, but it seems like the donation is not set up correctly at SourceForge:
Sorry, ScummVM does not accept donations. Please encourage the project admins to opt in to the donation feature.
Edit: Sorry, nevermind. I just found this thread:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?p=12891