ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Post Reply
User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

Post by sev »

You always wondered where to get games supported by ScummVM? Perhaps you were also asking, how I can help the project?

You could find the supported games either on our downloads page, or on our Where to buy games page on our Wiki. For helping the project we have had a PayPal button for some time.

But now you can reach both goals at the same time!

We are pleased to announce the start of an affiliate program with the excellent Good Old Games service, also known as GOG.com. Just click on "Buy Supported Games" link on the top and you will be brought to the site. Register there and buy some games. You will get your game, cheap, fast and legally, and the ScummVM project will get a share of the proceeds.

The main reason behind this is that GOG.com uses ScummVM for several of their offered titles. Currently they offer Broken Sword 2, Simon the Sorcerer 1, Simon the Sorcerer 2, Feeble Files, Waxworks, as well as some of the free games which we offer too. Each release is nicely pre-packaged with ScummVM, is DRM-free, goes for just $5.99, and the most important thing, is completely legal, as those folks chase the original rights holders.

Thus, watch their site, buy the games, and help our project.

PS: We will get the money only if you click on the provided link and register within a short period of time.
Last edited by sev on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
chrisis
Posts: 132
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 4:06 pm
Location: Innsbruck, Austria

Re: ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

Post by chrisis »

sev wrote:PS: We will get the money only if you click on the provided link and register within a short period of time.
That's great! One thing I don't understand though is: Do I have to register a completely new accouunt by clicking the links you provided? Because I would really love to help you, but unfortunately I'm already registered on gog.com.

clem
Posts: 2185
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:14 am

Post by clem »

(for reference: there used to be a rather critical post by me here, the discussion has since moved on to the development mailing list since the forum is not the proper place for discussing it)

User avatar
sev
ScummVM Lead
Posts: 2043
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:06 pm
Contact:

Re: ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

Post by sev »

chrisis wrote:Do I have to register a completely new accouunt by clicking the links you provided? Because I would really love to help you, but unfortunately I'm already registered on gog.com.
Yes, that's correct unfortunately. Only when you register going through the provided link. Then your account is being connected with our affiliation.


Eugene

Reckless
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:12 am

Post by Reckless »

That seems a mad way of managing affiliates! Like chrisis I'm already registered on their site.

Hope you guys net a few $'s :)

Wishbone
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:57 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: ScummVM announces affiliate program with GOG.com

Post by Wishbone »

sev wrote:
chrisis wrote:Do I have to register a completely new accouunt by clicking the links you provided? Because I would really love to help you, but unfortunately I'm already registered on gog.com.
Yes, that's correct unfortunately. Only when you register going through the provided link. Then your account is being connected with our affiliation.
But then, you still only get a percentage from the games that actually use ScummVM, right? Or is it purely a "finding more members" deal?

User avatar
tikitang
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:25 am

Post by tikitang »

As I own an Apple Mac, I was a little disappointed today when I bought Waxworks and the first two Simon the Sorcerer games - hoping to receive zipped data files that I could then point Scumm VM to - only to discover that they were .exe files, designed to install the games in Windows. :(

I guess I should have done a little bit more homework before purchase!

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

From what I hear, zipped versions of ScummVM compatible games are in the works.

User avatar
bobdevis
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:52 am

Post by bobdevis »

tikitang wrote:As I own an Apple Mac, I was a little disappointed today when I bought Waxworks and the first two Simon the Sorcerer games - hoping to receive zipped data files that I could then point Scumm VM to - only to discover that they were .exe files, designed to install the games in Windows. :(

I guess I should have done a little bit more homework before purchase!
You hopefully only need to do the installation in a Windows environment and then harvest the installed files to use with ScummVM.
If you can borrow a Windows PC you should be good. If not then there are other more complicated solutions involving stuff like this.

User avatar
ezekiel000
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Surrey, England

Post by ezekiel000 »

There's a version of wine for Mac:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwine

That might work to run the installer to be able to get the data files.

User avatar
tikitang
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:25 am

Post by tikitang »

I found a solution by downloading a programm called Crossover by CodeWeavers, that allows you to install Windows programmes on OSX. Huzzah!

User avatar
ezekiel000
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Surrey, England

Post by ezekiel000 »

Which is the commercial version of Wine for MacOSX

Exolon
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:30 pm

Post by Exolon »

ezekiel000 wrote:Which is the commercial version of Wine for MacOSX
... and worth every penny

User avatar
Lafazar
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:31 pm

Post by Lafazar »

Unfortunately I noticed this affiliate program far too late, I am already registered at GOG.com.

So i wanted to at least donate by Paypal, but it seems like the donation is not set up correctly at SourceForge:
Sorry, ScummVM does not accept donations. Please encourage the project admins to opt in to the donation feature.
Edit: Sorry, nevermind. I just found this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=12891

Post Reply