Request a game?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Bladeforce

Request a game?

Post by Bladeforce »

Hello, May i request a game for this awesome format?
Dune
clem

Post by clem »

Please read FAQ 2.3 first.
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

clem wrote:Please read FAQ 2.3 first.
In all fairness though, they hardly do anything else these days. They ran out of Scumm games quite a while ago. All the recent additions have been non-Scumm games. I think the FAQ could use a little updating.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

And the description of the Junkyard forum contradict a bit the FAQ imho:
"If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)"

But the question was asked in the wrong forum anyway.
john_doe
ScummVM Developer

Post by john_doe »

Still, usually no devs will work on a game by request. We'll work on games we like to work on. I wouldn't work on a game requested 1000 times if I personally didn't like it.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

john_doe wrote:Still, usually no devs will work on a game by request. We'll work on games we like to work on. I wouldn't work on a game requested 1000 times if I personally didn't like it.
Sure. I think most people can understand that (and this has been stated many times already in these forums).

There is a difference between requesting that a game be supported and asking if a game will be supported (or asking if the team is working on adding support for a given game). But most of the time I prefer to believe that posters misuse the word "request" because english in not their native language (as it is the case with many people on that forum).
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Wishbone wrote:
clem wrote:Please read FAQ 2.3 first.
In all fairness though, they hardly do anything else these days. They ran out of Scumm games quite a while ago. All the recent additions have been non-Scumm games. I think the FAQ could use a little updating.
But adding new games in not all the devs do, there is the whole scummvm platform and back-ends there's also quite a few to the Humongous Entertainment scumm games and fm-towns games to work on.

But as john_doe said devs work on reverse engineering games they have an interest in as it takes a lot of free time and there's no point in wasting your free time on something you don't enjoy. The faq should really be up-dated though to reflect that they work on what they want to work on in relation to adding non-scumm games.

Note I'm not part of the ScummVM team so this is what I understand and I may be wrong.
Hakker

Post by Hakker »

All in all a request is never bad. It's a request nothing more. It can also bring up titles which could be forgotten.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Forgotten? Forgotten for what purpose? If you want a list of all adventure games, you can always go to http://www.mobygames.com/ and search there, no? :-)