There will never be a Monkey Islands 5?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ste_888

There will never be a Monkey Islands 5?

Post by ste_888 »

I think there will never be another monkey for one simple reason.

Big parts of Pirates of the Caribbean are blatant rip offs of Monkey Island (the ghost ship and many of the leading characters) and it has given Disney the biggest movie franchise of the 2000s and after Lucas having the biggest movie franchises in Star Wars in the 70/80s and then the follow up 3 movies in the late 90/00s, I think it must make Lucas sick every time he thinks of Monkey Island, knowing that he was sitting on the next big movie franchise in the monkey island story! I bet he has banned all talk of Monkey Islands at the Lucasart office, with offenders immediately being sacked lol!

As with all Monkey Island fans I would love to see Monkey Island 5 and I think Lucasart should name it Monkey’s of the Caribbean, just to let Disney know he’s on to them! Or even make a Monkey Island film as the Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End was harder to work out and more confusing then the actually Monkey Island games!

After getting a DS Lite for Christmas and then only finding out about Scummvm a few weeks ago, I felt like santa had come back down my chimney in mid January! I’m quite happy to play Monkey 1 and 2 for now and hope that I’m wrong about Monkey Islands 5 and we all see and enjoy it sooner rather than latter.

Thank you to the Scummvm creators, I’m 30 and believe in Santa again!!!!
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

errr.... You DO know that Monkey Island is partly based of the Disney theme park ride Pirates of Carribean right?;)

If anyone ripped anyone of, it would be LucasArts themselves. Go take a history lesson:D
Mrs.Threepwood

Post by Mrs.Threepwood »

I read somewhere on the net a while back that Lucasarts would make a monkey island 5 in 2015, and if I recall it also mentioned about making another grim fandango.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Mrs.Threepwood wrote:I read somewhere on the net a while back that Lucasarts would make a monkey island 5 in 2015, and if I recall it also mentioned about making another grim fandango.
You may be thinking of this interview with Jim Ward, though I couldn't hear anything about Grim Fandango in it.

Most of it is, unsurprisingly, about Star Wars and the Indiana Jones game they were going to release in 2007. Towards the end, he does say that they could bring back the old series in 2015, but that they want to come up with new ideas first. And that's where the interview veers from depressing straight into bizarro world, where Monkey Island (1990) is old and stale, while Indiana Jones (1980) and Star Wars (1977) are fresh and exciting.

I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for it to happen.
Cyphox

Post by Cyphox »

Hope dies at last...

Ron Gilbert said several times, that he would love to make a new Monkey Island.
The big problem is, he has to aquire the rights from Lucas Arts... i don't think that this will ever happen.... otherwise, telltale games made another sam&max, so how knows what the future will bring *drumroll* :shock:

Monkey Island 3.5 - The Secret revealed or you'll get your money back!
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

eriktorbjorn wrote:And that's where the interview veers from depressing straight into bizarro world, where Monkey Island (1990) is old and stale, while Indiana Jones (1980) and Star Wars (1977) are fresh and exciting.
I guess Bizarro Jim Ward would have made another Monkey Island game ;)
Wizard Of Odd

Post by Wizard Of Odd »

I hope 'they' don't make Monkey Island 5. Whilst the first 3 are some of my favourite games, the 4th instalment was abysmal.
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Cyphox wrote:Hope dies at last...

The big problem is, he has to aquire the rights from Lucas Arts... i don't think that this will ever happen.... otherwise, telltale games made another sam&max, so how knows what the future will bring *drumroll* :shock:

Are you sure that you are not talking about Monkey Island 2.5? ;-)
Well, in fact, first hell will freeze over before Gilbert acquires the rights or LucasArts move on to another adventure game. I think, LA will use the right to launch some nasty Monkey Island action games...
Bad Asp

Post by Bad Asp »

But what if (and that's a big if by the way) Lucasarts was the target of a class-action lawsuit, and the courts declared them guilty and the government seized all of their assets, including the rights to all the Lucasarts point-and-click adventure games?
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

Bad Asp wrote:

But what if (and that's a big if by the way) Lucasarts was the target of a class-action lawsuit, and the courts declared them guilty and the government seized all of their assets, including the rights to all the Lucasarts point-and-click adventure games?
Possibility ranges somewhere between zero and naught.
Red Herring

Post by Red Herring »

No there wont be is the most likely answer.

The closest it came was a while back Ron Gilbert was in negotiations with Lucasarts to do an episodic Monkey Island ala Telltales Sam & Max but negotiations broke down and LEC lost interest.

[He divulged that info in the comments of his blog at grumpygamer.com]

LEC probably wanted too much money to license it out and a new Monkey Island game wouldn't really make them that much money so whosoever in charge at LEC doesn't really care about the franchise.

Which means that unless Ron (working at Hothead games) suddenly comes into an awful lot of money it will never happen.

[The only other plausible long-shot is that LEC has another change of management and a new team starts producing low budget adventure titles & LEC's remit is no longer to maximise revenue pushing out multi-million costing AAA titles, but the odds of that are very, very low]
Nikioko

Post by Nikioko »

The most important reason why i hate patents and copyrights is that they are abused most of the time. The original idea of this is to enable the inventor or creator to make success out of his invention or fiction without anyone interfering. Today this is abused: companies buy the rights off the inventors, not because they want to franchise them themselves, but just because of keeping them off the market, preventing others from bringing it on the market or just to get a profitable license fee from the one who actually wants to use it. And LucasArts is not an exception to this. That's why our copyrights / patent rights have to be reformed: if somebody is not using the patent / copyright he claims, it has to vanish after a time to enable other people to do so. But that's my personal opinion.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

I think patents mostly are good. It's just that the patent trolls get so much exposure. And they should, cause patent trolls sucks.
laffer

Post by laffer »

There will most likely never be another Monkey Island game and thank God for that!

The only way I can see a good Monkey Island game being made is if Ron Gilbert was put in charge (or someone else that is extremely good at making games like this) and they made it in the classic point and click way.
It should also have 2D graphics, I don't think 3D is good enough yet to do this series justice.

But that would never happen, if a new Monkey Island game was released, it would most likely not be made by Ron and it would definitely be terrible, just like the fourth game in the series.

I wish the series had ended after the third (or possibly even the second).
Bad Asp

Post by Bad Asp »

Nikioko wrote:That's why our copyrights / patent rights have to be reformed: if somebody is not using the patent / copyright he claims, it has to vanish after a time to enable other people to do so. But that's my personal opinion.
You know what? That's a great idea! :D

I think we should write to Congress and tell them to change the copyright laws, so that if a company holds on to a patent that someone who no longer works for a company created, and doesn't use the patent for, say, five years... then the rights to that patent revert to the creator and the company who held onto the patent without using it is fined a huge sum of money.

Let's do this, because I want the rights to "Sam and Max: Freelance Police" taken away from Lucasarts forever! That game has been in untrustworthy hands for too long!

Oh, and Monkey Island too.