How come and SVN is exe not zip?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

NLS

How come and SVN is exe not zip?

Post by NLS »

Is there a specific reason Windows daily builds are in exe setup form and not a plain zip?

Someone that wants the daily build is most definitely already using SCUMMVM, plus most probably something a bit more than "setup only users" - so why run the setup again for every tiny change?

Having it in zip form could even help automating the process of updating the program based on a cron job (or schedule for windows).

Also I could be wrong but I would imagine, making the setup for every daily build is one step extra, that doesn't need to happen.

For me, who maintains SCUMMVM on a network media without drive mapping, just using the exe would help me very much.
perwel2

Post by perwel2 »

I have created a .bat file

************BAT FILE************
wget -r -k -p URL2File http://scummvm.sourceforge.net/download ... -win32.exe
cd scummvm.sourceforge.net
cd downloads
scummvm-win32.exe
cd C:\Archivos de programa\Juegos\ScummVM
move drascula.dat "C:\Archivos de programa\Juegos\ScummVM\Juegos\Drascula\"
move igor.tbl "C:\Archivos de programa\Juegos\ScummVM\Juegos\IGOR\"
move kyra.dat "C:\Archivos de programa\Juegos\ScummVM\Juegos\KYRANDIA\"
move lure.dat "C:\Archivos de programa\Juegos\ScummVM\Juegos\lure\"
move queen.tbl "C:\Archivos de programa\Juegos\ScummVM\Juegos\queen\"
move sky.cpt "C:\Archivos de programa\Juegos\ScummVM\Juegos\sky\"
del *.txt
del *.dat
del scummclassic.zip
del unins000.exe
cd C:\Documents and Settings\Administrador\Escritorio\wget
RD /s /q "scummvm.sourceforge.net"
************BAT FILE************

it works with WGET, can be downloaded from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/wget/

the bat downloads the latest svn, moves each especific file of each game to his especific game folder (I prefer each file in his game folder, than every files in the root of scummvm)

then, the batch delete the unused files installed, and then, delete the svn downloaded...

you have to save the text as .bat file and put the batch in the wget folder... like this:

you have to change the addresses for your settings

some idea to improve and reduce the code???
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: How come and SVN is exe not zip?

Post by md5 »

NLS wrote:Is there a specific reason Windows daily builds are in exe setup form and not a plain zip?

Someone that wants the daily build is most definitely already using SCUMMVM, plus most probably something a bit more than "setup only users" - so why run the setup again for every tiny change?

Having it in zip form could even help automating the process of updating the program based on a cron job (or schedule for windows).

Also I could be wrong but I would imagine, making the setup for every daily build is one step extra, that doesn't need to happen.

For me, who maintains SCUMMVM on a network media without drive mapping, just using the exe would help me very much.
Because an installer is easier for regular users to use, else we would have people complaining about silly errors like sdl.dll can't be found. Plus, you can always unpack it using the appropriate command-line parameters, or 3rd party tools like this one:
http://innounp.sourceforge.net/
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

I wasn't too sure if it would work so I just experimented and it does. Might help you a bit.
So I just right-clicked the ScummVM installer and you get a few options like "Uniextract here".

http://legroom.net/software/uniextract
marticus

Post by marticus »

Some installers seem to be able to be extracted with winrar, this one however is not :/
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

marticus wrote:Some installers seem to be able to be extracted with winrar, this one however is not :/
These are mostly WinRAR self-extracting installers, which are very few. The most common installers, i.e. Windows Installer, InnoSetup and Nullsoft Setup use their own compression scheme, and can't be extracted "normally" (unless they got a command line option for this).
clem

Post by clem »

md5 wrote:
marticus wrote:Some installers seem to be able to be extracted with winrar, this one however is not :/
These are mostly WinRAR self-extracting installers, which are very few. The most common installers, i.e. Windows Installer, InnoSetup and Nullsoft Setup use their own compression scheme, and can't be extracted "normally" (unless they got a command line option for this).
I think some installers are just a programm with a zip-file appended and can therefore be decompressed by WinRar or Winzip and the like - I never looked into this more closely so I'm just guessing though.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

md5 wrote:
Universal Extractor, like Red Tit mentioned, handles all of these setups and more.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Jonatan wrote:[

Universal Extractor, like Red Tit mentioned, handles all of these setups and more.
I've often thought about changing the alias but I use it so much.
When I'd just started school about 35 years ago the/my name Robin was rare. Here in the UK, back then anyway, kids (I was 5 at the time) called the robin bird "robin red-breasts".
At that age the only thing the word breasts means to you is that you could get your milk from them until one day you had to start using a rubber substitute.
Anyway there it is. I think the first time I needed an alias was when I was introduced to Doom. My memory is fuzzy but I think you could have 4 player LAN and only 2 player internet. The red slot was empty and my girlfriend said how about Red Breast. It seemed like the most obvious thing at the time but I always feel I need to explain it when it comes up.
Now I must get back to my nest.