What is Lucasarts' problem?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

EugeneE
Posts: 22
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:03 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: What is Lucasarts' problem?

Post by EugeneE »

iwantmi5 wrote:Hello,
im fairly new to this forum and i would like you all to just give your opinion as to why you think lucasarts are refusing to make a fifth monkey island game and they are still keeping the rights tucked under their beds like a teddy bear. What is lucasarts' problem?
Well, Lucasarts would rather make Star Wars games instead of adventure games.

I like adventure games but, unfortunately, certain companies don't want to make adventure games because they don't sell as much as newer games.

Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

Well, here my very own opinion: They are wrong. They are looking at the North American market and predict, that their 1923th Star Wars installment will sell better that a new graphic adventure game. If they turned their eyes towards Europe, they would see that latest adventure games like Secret Files Tunguska, So Blonde or Perry Rhodan sold a lot better than any Star Wars game. I used to play Rebel Assault or Tie Fighter vs. X Wing, but these games have grown... boring.
The fact is that at least in Europe adventure games are again growing in popularity. They will never be a challenge to shooters, RTS, or MMORPG, but a lot more popular than Star Wars games - over the years.
The other fact is, indeed, that Lucas Arts could not make another adventure game even if they wanted. The guys that were in charge in the better days now work for different companies that still do adventure gaming.
So, my conclusion is. For God's sake, bury your hope of another Monkey Island installment. You would really dislike it if it's been made by LA, and the chances that they would sell their rights to someone else are naughty, it is more likely that hell freezes over.
Retrog33k wrote: What I meant to say is, why is lucasarts still holding onto the rights? Do they have anything planned for Monkey Island? Right now, it looks like nothing's being planned, so why hold onto the rights?
Well, some people do the same with real estates, they buy old buildings in town an let them rot, hoping that some day prices will go up. Lucas Arts does that with the Monkey Island rights. I hate this kind of speculation and it should be disallowed, but its existence is a fact.
fingolfin wrote: Because in the future, they *might* do something. Or not. You have to view it this way: Those assets have a *potential* worth. If they retain them, there is a chance (no matter how small it might be) that they might earn money with it again in the future. OTOH, if they release the rights, the chance is 0. So, from an economical point of view, it makes absolute sense for them to keep it. It's that simple.
You are right at this point, bu economically it would make sense for them to sell licenses to those who are willing to make a new game. They keep their original rights and the license holder keeps the whole risk of a failure. If the game sells off, LA will earn with every copy sold. If not, they would at least haven't lost a thing. And they still have the rights to make another MI game at their will.

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre »

Nikioko wrote:Well, here my very own opinion: They are wrong. They are looking at the North American market and predict, that their 1923th Star Wars installment will sell better that a new graphic adventure game. If they turned their eyes towards Europe, they would see that latest adventure games like Secret Files Tunguska, So Blonde or Perry Rhodan sold a lot better than any Star Wars game.
Well I guess you know it all much better than the numbercrunching people over at LucasArts who have real numbers.. Also the only adventure game I know you mention is 'secret files tunguska', the other's I've never even heard of (and I'm a european), I'm also very confident that any starwars game has sold better as those adventuregames..
Nikioko wrote: You are right at this point, bu economically it would make sense for them to sell licenses to those who are willing to make a new game. They keep their original rights and the license holder keeps the whole risk of a failure. If the game sells off, LA will earn with every copy sold. If not, they would at least haven't lost a thing. And they still have the rights to make another MI game at their will.
Uhm. a bad game can harm a license very much.. just look at MI4 or the newer LeisureSuitLarry games. and with that a license can become much less worth..

The only way they might change their minds, is if they will start to sell the old games again using stuff like nintendo's virtualconsole on the Wii, or some kind of alternative on the PS3/xbox360.. and only then when the games actually sell good, only then they might think of a new game...

User avatar
Longcat
Posts: 986
Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:15 pm

Post by Longcat »

SuperDre wrote:Also the only adventure game I know you mention is 'secret files tunguska', the other's I've never even heard of (and I'm a european), I'm also very confident that any starwars game has sold better as those adventuregames..
If you haven't heard of any of those games, I must say that you can not be paying very much attention to the adventure games community. These were some of the biggest titles of 2008.

I agree however that even though they probably sold well it would be risky at best to compare sales figures to those of a franchise worshipped by braindead consumers.

Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

@SuperDre: As most of the time, Wikipedia can offer you some enlightenment. On the other hand, if you haven't heard of those games, I have to doubt your knowledge in adventure gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Files:_Tunguska
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_blonde
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan
http://www.perry-rhodan-game.de/index.php?lang=en

BTW: Have you ever heard about Runaway, Black Mirror, The Moment of Silence, Dreamfall, Broken Sword 4, Still Life, The Abbey, A Vampyre Story, Ceville, Jack Keane, Treasure Island, Goin' Downtown, Ankh, Belief and Betrayal, or Memento Mori?

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre »

Nikioko wrote:@SuperDre: As most of the time, Wikipedia can offer you some enlightenment. On the other hand, if you haven't heard of those games, I have to doubt your knowledge in adventure gaming.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secret_Files:_Tunguska
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_blonde
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry_Rhodan
http://www.perry-rhodan-game.de/index.php?lang=en

BTW: Have you ever heard about Runaway, Black Mirror, The Moment of Silence, Dreamfall, Broken Sword 4, Still Life, The Abbey, A Vampyre Story, Ceville, Jack Keane, Treasure Island, Goin' Downtown, Ankh, Belief and Betrayal, or Memento Mori?
I only look sometimes at 'adventure island' (a dutch site) and adventuregamers, mostly in regard to adventure I spent my time here and at the AGS forums..
I do own Runaway,Black mirror, the moment of silence, dreamfall, broken sword 4, ankh AND secret files of tunguska..
Ceville isn't out yet (at least the english version, and only a demo). Still Life, Treasure island, The Abbey,goin' downtown and memento mori are adventures I've never heard of (or at least they don't sound familliar).

Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

SuperDre wrote:Ceville isn't out yet (at least the english version, and only a demo). Still Life, Treasure island, The Abbey,goin' downtown and memento mori are adventures I've never heard of (or at least they don't sound familliar).
Well, Ceville will be shipped by end of the week, I just wanted to mention a very recent title. As for the rest:


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Life_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destinatio ... ure_Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_Mori_(game)


For the rest I at least found some German pages:
http://www.theabbey-game.de/
http://www.goindowntown.de/

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre »

Nikioko wrote:Well, Ceville will be shipped by end of the week, I just wanted to mention a very recent title. As for the rest:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Still_Life_(video_game)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destinatio ... ure_Island
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memento_Mori_(game)


For the rest I at least found some German pages:
http://www.theabbey-game.de/
http://www.goindowntown.de/
I guess adventure games are way more popular in germany as anywhere else in the world.. luckily for me I understand german so I can play those games.. Destination treasure island isn't an adventure for me, I don't like the firstperson variants a lot, I'd rather order someone around ;)

Bad Asp
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:41 am

Post by Bad Asp »

I wish Lucasarts would stop holding onto the rights already.

I seriously wish someone would sue Lucasarts, because isn't what Lucasarts is doing violating the U.S. constitution?

User avatar
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer
Posts: 3329
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:39 am

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Bad Asp wrote: I seriously wish someone would sue Lucasarts, because isn't what Lucasarts is doing violating the U.S. constitution?
I'm not overly familiar with the United States Constitution. Which part of it? (The right to "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness" is from the Declaration of Independence.)

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre »

Bad Asp wrote:I wish Lucasarts would stop holding onto the rights already.

I seriously wish someone would sue Lucasarts, because isn't what Lucasarts is doing violating the U.S. constitution?
uhm, what have you been smoking? Lucasarts owns the IP, even if they want to flush it down the toilet, it's theirs to do so.

User avatar
MusicallyInspired
Posts: 1050
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:03 am
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Contact:

Post by MusicallyInspired »

Lol that was great. I've never read a copyright post from that angle before.

KuroShiro
Posts: 456
Joined: Thu May 15, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Miyazaki, Japan

Post by KuroShiro »

Bad Asp wrote:
I seriously wish someone would sue Lucasarts, because isn't what Lucasarts is doing violating the U.S. constitution?
... No ...

Nikioko
Posts: 269
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:35 pm

Post by Nikioko »

SuperDre wrote: Destination treasure island isn't an adventure for me, I don't like the firstperson variants a lot, I'd rather order someone around ;)
By that definiton, Myst isn't an adventure game either. ;-)

User avatar
SuperDre
Posts: 157
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 5:06 pm
Location: helmond.nl
Contact:

Post by SuperDre »

Nikioko wrote:
SuperDre wrote: Destination treasure island isn't an adventure for me, I don't like the firstperson variants a lot, I'd rather order someone around ;)
By that definiton, Myst isn't an adventure game either. ;-)
With "isn't an adventure for me" I meant "I don't like adventures like that" LOL..

Post Reply