The Last Dynasty

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

fac

The Last Dynasty

Post by fac »

I know that to support this game in ScummVM there is still much to do. I found The Last Dynasty demo in one of my old CDs that came with CD-ROM Today Magazine. I don't remember if it is only Space shooter demo, or not. Since it might not be easy to find the demo in the web, i can upload it (if anyone is interested).
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

That's interesting. I don't seem to have the CD-ROM Today disc with that one. Which issue is it? What else is on the disc?

As for uploading it, I'm sure DrMcCoy would appreciate it :)
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

clone2727 wrote:As for uploading it, I'm sure DrMcCoy would appreciate it :)
Yup :)
maximus

Post by maximus »

Wow, I've never even heard of this game, but from what I've been reading, it looks awesome. It also looks like it's available from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... 982&sr=8-1) from a few people, so I may have to pick this up. I guess this should work under Wine for now, but maybe ScummVM one day..... :D
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

maximus wrote:Wow, I've never even heard of this game, but from what I've been reading, it looks awesome.
I think "strange" fits better. It is a Coktel Vision game, after all. ;)
maximus wrote:I guess this should work under Wine for now.
Partly. The game, like Woodruff, really depends on the screen being in 256 color mode. So you have to change your X config to run in 256 color mode... Then it should work.
These things are the reason I have a Windows caged in QEMU. :)
maximus wrote:but maybe ScummVM one day..... :D
What's mostly the problem is that the space shooter sequences are hard-coded. I.e. the scripts issue a kind of spaceShooter() command, with a few variables like which file to read the mission from and then it's the engine doing everything, giving a (mission-specific) return code back to the script.
Since there are a lot of interdependant functions (partly called through function pointers) and it's doing the usual VMD caching tricks I already despised in Woodruff (and largely ignored by side-stepping), I'm really not that keen to tackle it. At least not right now, when Urban Runner looks so much more interesting... ;)
fac

Post by fac »

clone2727 wrote:That's interesting. I don't seem to have the CD-ROM Today disc with that one. Which issue is it? What else is on the disc?

As for uploading it, I'm sure DrMcCoy would appreciate it :)
I don't have the magazine, but it must have been during the summer of 1995.

Game demos in the CD: Discworld, Bioforge, X-com TFTD, The Last Dynasty.

The Last Dynasty demo: http://w16.easy-share.com/1702924770.html
I wasn't able to play it with WinXP, but it worked in Win95. It must be installed and played from the CD.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

If it's the large Discworld demo where you could play most of the first chapter I think Dreammaster is looking for it
fac

Post by fac »

Jonatan wrote:If it's the large Discworld demo where you could play most of the first chapter I think Dreammaster is looking for it
That's why i found The last Dynasty demo. See here: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=57&start=365
DrMcCoy
ScummVM Developer

Post by DrMcCoy »

fac wrote:The Last Dynasty demo: http://w16.easy-share.com/1702924770.html
Thanks. :)
I've added the MD5 to ScummVM's GobEngine. The videos work (as well as the full version's videos anyway, i.e. with a few glitches), the shooter part doesn't of course.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

fac wrote: I don't have the magazine, but it must have been during the summer of 1995.

Game demos in the CD: Discworld, Bioforge, X-com TFTD, The Last Dynasty.
Ah, ok. I have July and August 1995 with me here, and it's not on them. (July 1995 is the earliest I have)