Running Grim Fandango - I know its not on scumm

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mudpie210

Running Grim Fandango - I know its not on scumm

Post by mudpie210 »

I was wondering if there was another program out there that can run Grim Fandango. Scumm lets me play a lot of my old games that didn't work before, but I also have Grim Fandango and, while it does start on my computer, my audio keeps messing up and I would like to play it in good working order.

Any help is appreciated.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

ever tried the search function?;)

Grim Fandango is fully playable in Windows XP and Vista, although it might require some tweaking. if your sound is screwed up and/or making the game freeze, this is most probably caused by GF's inability to run on multithread processor systems. Set grim.exe's processor affinity to 1 or use imgecfg to alter it permanently. If you don't know how, I suggest trying google or searching these forums. This question has been answered and explained before.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Longcat

Post by Longcat »

He already said it installed fine so I don't see how that is going to make any difference.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

my primary problem is I have to disable all directx acceleration to play the game. Which means I can't run the game without first going through all that, and then setting it back up after I finish. I have built a custom menu to launch most of my games, and am not aware of a way to have these options changed in windows when the game is launched, and then put back in place afterwards.

So yea, it isn't a deal breaker, but it is a huge bummer.

And even then it still runs wonky, even with the processor affinity and what-not.

It is tiring that people seem to pretend it runs just fine in XP, when in fact (least on SP3), it really does not.

With Windows 7 hitting next year, it is going to introduce a whole new crop of 'dead' games.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

what do you mean 'pretend'? I'm running XP service pack 3 and it runs just fine with the latest version of DirectX here:P I ran it just fine on my brothers gaming rig with Vista 64 bit as well.

As you say, it may not run straight out of the box, but it DOES work.
And as for windows 7, well, like I've been telling my friends as of late;
buy a mac. But that's just my honest opinion:)
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

Jonatan wrote:what do you mean 'pretend'? I'm running XP service pack 3 and it runs just fine with the latest version of DirectX here:P I ran it just fine on my brothers gaming rig with Vista 64 bit as well.
Indeed. Replayed Grim Fandango this summer on my XP machine without issues too. No pretending is needed.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Jonatan wrote:He already said it installed fine so I don't see how that is going to make any difference.
Sorry I spoke sir. I'll follow the signature advice next time. Sir.

In my defence I posted as I think if you want to play Grim it's worth having. Plays from the HD. Windowed mode. Debug.
But that's me. Next time I'll keep quiet. Don't want to die just yet.
Longcat

Post by Longcat »

Red_Breast wrote: Sorry I spoke sir. I'll follow the signature advice next time. Sir.
Good. Smartass, you don't think it's perfectly valid to point out that someone slaps up a link that won't help the original poster any further?
Red_Breast wrote: In my defence I posted as I think if you want to play Grim it's worth having. Plays from the HD. Windowed mode. Debug.
But that's me. Next time I'll keep quiet. Don't want to die just yet.
You don't have to defend anything. But you could have written that IN your post. And if people were able to use the search function, they would find that link aplenty. And FYI it's perfectly possible to install the game fully to disk with the original and then enable debug mode afterwards instead of having to install the whole game over again.

But that's just me. At ease private.
Red_Breast

Post by Red_Breast »

Jonatan wrote:
Red_Breast wrote: Sorry I spoke sir. I'll follow the signature advice next time. Sir.
Good. Smartass, you don't think it's perfectly valid to point out that someone slaps up a link that won't help the original poster any further?

I wanted to preview the link before I wrote my bit. But hit submit by accident.
Whatever, and I mean whatever, I add to that will be pointless going on previous internet experience. I didn't even want to add this bit as it can be perceived in so many ways.
Sorry to mudpie for my part in what happened to your thread.
Exoskeletor

Post by Exoskeletor »

Holla guys - A m i g a and adventure l o v e r here :)
I have just finish the grim fandango on vista with only using the launcher a user above post ( http://quick.mixnmojo.com/grim-fandango-launcher )
what an amazing game, i can't understand why i havent play it all those years...
desepticon

For Mac Users

Post by desepticon »

For Mac OS X users on Intel, Crossover Cames works with GF if you use the new launcher and copy the files to hd after you install normally.
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

For the more enthusiastic, there is a ScummVM 3D alternative in the making, Residual, now a separate project, and all discussion concerning Grim Fandango and such games (Escape from Monkey Island, The Longest Journey, Discworld Noir) could be made in a more appropriate setting, the Residual official forum.

All help is more than welcome, and you can contact the team via IRC: [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/scummvm]#residual on irc.freenode.net[/url]

Bit of old news, but worth mention I reckon. Cheers :)
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

ah yes... it is simply "booming" over there. Has been for years....
garrythefish

Post by garrythefish »

scoriae wrote:ah yes... it is simply "booming" over there. Has been for years....
If we all have this attitude, we'll be "booming" for a decade to come. :x