Convert to dxa

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

howl

Convert to dxa

Post by howl »

Hi,

I wish to convert video to dxa format but i can't find how to do it.

I found this http://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=DXA but there is no info about how to do, only info about the format itself.

I also want to convert to the different dxa methods and see differences in size quality, etc...
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Convert to dxa

Post by eriktorbjorn »

howl wrote: I wish to convert video to dxa format but i can't find how to do it.
The ScummVM tools (which I believe are included with the Windows version of ScummVM) contains encode_dxa, which creates a DXA file from a set of PNG images, and a FLAC, Ogg Vorbis or MP3 file from a WAV file. It also contains some scripts to automate the process of re-encoding Smacker videos. That relies on using the official RAD Game Tools to extract the frames and audio.
howl wrote: I also want to convert to the different dxa methods and see differences in size quality, etc...
DXA is a lossless encoding, so the quality of the video output is the same as its input. If you use FLAC, the audio is also losslessly encoded.
howl

Post by howl »

Thanks a lot.

The problem is that I not use windows, i have tried to use the rad tools through wine but the resultant video have artifacts in the zones with movement.

For linux i have read about the licensing issues with ffmpeg, is the tools use it like to make an automated conversion with it instead of rad tools in linux, could have legal issues? I say to convert it not to use the original videos while playing game.

And now about using it on the game, are you planning to contact with rad to ask if you can use ffmpeg to show videos with their codecs?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

howl wrote: The problem is that I not use windows, i have tried to use the rad tools through wine but the resultant video have artifacts in the zones with movement.
Do you mean artifacts that weren't there in the original Smacker video? As for the other question, I'm afraid I have no idea about any plans or legal issues which may or may not surround ffmpeg.
howl

Post by howl »

The artifacts that appears are lines that appears in character or objects moving in the movie, similar like a interleaved but not the same because the lines are in other colors. I'm sure this is a problem with the codec implementation in wine API.

The legal aspects in ffmpeg are explained here http://ffmpeg.mplayerhq.hu/legal.html, this is the reason that the versions of ffmpeg included in linux distros are stripped down, without certain codecs. Also I have read here in the forum that RAD game doesn't allow third party programs to decode their video formats, the thing is to ask them if they allow to use ffmpeg support of smack with scummvm tools to make possible dxa conversion in linux. Also if they're friendly enough could ask to use it also in scummvm itself to use the original smack videos without converting them. If they give permission it could be nice for scummvm.