How do you SCUMM?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

iPwnzorz

How do you SCUMM?

Post by iPwnzorz »

I'm interested to know what platforms, environments and machines you've managed to smear in SCUMM and install ScummVM.

I currently use ScummVM on my DS mostly, but as soon as I figure out how, I'll pop it on the PS2 (after my $ony boycott, of course) and Gamecube. I've actively used the Linux port on Ubuntu and obviously I use the Windows version.

(talking of which, what was ScummVM originally written for? Windows or Linux?)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: How do you SCUMM?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

iPwnzorz wrote: (talking of which, what was ScummVM originally written for? Windows or Linux?)
I'm not sure, and the ScummVM History page doesn't seem to say anything about it.

However, the earliest version of the README file that I can find, from "the first pre-alpha release of ScummVM" says that "You need SDL-1.2.2 (maybe older versions will work), and a supported compiler. At the moment only GCC and Microsoft Visual C++ are supported." That suggests to me that even early versions could run on more than one operating system.
selmi

Post by selmi »

PalmOS version on my Tungsten T5, unfortunately i am not able to build scummvm myself so i can use only older version, recent is not available yet :-( anyway, i didn't finished any game on it yet, currently i play mostly goblins 3.

sister is playing in linux (ubuntu) and sometimes i join her when i am on visit, so this is my 2nd scummvm platform.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I've got ScummVM in Ubuntu, Windows, DS, and the Wii. It's mighty fine on the Wii. Except for the lack of keyboard support which I hope can be rectified in the future.
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

I run ScummVM on Ubuntu Linux only at the moment.
I have in the past used it on PalmOS, PocketPC and Windows until I gave up Windows completely.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

iPwnzorz wrote:(talking of which, what was ScummVM originally written for? Windows or Linux?)
Since SDL is coming from the Linux/Unix world, my guess would be, that it was running on Linux from the beginning. Though, my first contact with ScummVM was at about 0.1 or 0.2 on Win 98 then. When there was no GUI at all. I also remember to play MI2 at my then work-Mac with Classic Mac OS 8.1 on a PPC (ScummVM still supported it then) (EDIT)obviously my memory is faulted. There probably never was a classic Mac OS version. Now, if I think back, it probably was, when the computer got it's fresh OSX. (/EDIT)
Btw: I've started a similiar thread in the junkyard some time ago, you might also look there, a few people answered, on what systems they are running ScummVM:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php ... highlight=
and for anyone interested in old versions: just browse sourceforge's archive:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... e_id=29373
Last edited by chrisis on Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

chrisis wrote:(EDIT)obviously my memory is faulted. There probably never was a classic Mac OS version. Now, if I think back, it probably was, when the computer got it's fresh OSX. (/EDIT)
Yeah, back in the early days there was a regular Mac OS version.
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Yeah, back in the early days there was a regular Mac OS version.
There was? Then I remembered correctly after all. It's just, I couldn't find one while browsing the sourceforge-archives... It's only a few years, and my memory is already fading away.
October 2001 (when the first pre-alpha-version went online) is only 7 years ago...
Oh, and just for the fun of it, after reading this thread, I tried the first compiled version (0.1) a few minutes ago on my vista with my MI2. It worked, sort of. But no full screen, no graphic filters, awful adlib-emulation and instant crash when pressing F5. ScummVM has come a long way since then :)
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

chrisis wrote: Oh, and just for the fun of it, after reading this thread, I tried the first compiled version (0.1) a few minutes ago on my vista with my MI2. It worked, sort of. But no full screen, no graphic filters, awful adlib-emulation and instant crash when pressing F5. ScummVM has come a long way since then :)
Playing Sam & Max Hit the Road with an early version (0.2, or so, I think) is a pretty strange experience, too. The music doesn't work correctly, and strange sound effects play when they shouldn't.
Jinx1337

Post by Jinx1337 »

PSP.

Beating all the SCUMMVM supported games on it.
lazylazyjoe

Post by lazylazyjoe »

I've used win32,linux, BeOs, palm os, palm-os zodiac, zod-scumm (unofficial port for zodiac).
I'd like to know who is using os/2, amiga, atari st, or a sparc processor to play their games.
Tim20

Post by Tim20 »

I only use ScummVM on Windows and PSP.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I think it's best on the Nintendo DS. The stylus just steals the glory. The only downfall for me is that it doesn't support all the games because of RAM limitations. Does the PSP support all ScummVM games? If it does that would be the one thing the PSP port has over the DS. Still wouldn't get one, though. I can't cope with using a D-Pad to move the cursour around. It needs to be either a mouse, Wii remote, or stylus to work for me.
iPwnzorz

Post by iPwnzorz »

You can get up to 32MB RAM on the DS, surely that should be enough for say, COMI?
clem

Post by clem »

iPwnzorz wrote:You can get up to 32MB RAM on the DS, surely that should be enough for say, COMI?
No, CoMI won't run on the DS due to insufficient RAM. Has been discussed quite a few times here on the forums and on the feature tracker.